7%
Other (please explain)
28%

Total votes: 29

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Pick a droid, any droid.

Post by Borgholio »

So far I'm rather interested in how the votes seem to be split between the "Big three" and "Other". Poor Gonk droid.... :(
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Lonestar wrote:HK47, meatsacks.
Didn't he have a habit of arranging the deaths of his non-Revan owners?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Gandalf wrote:Threepio. He'd be a great asset for translation work, and a generally friendly guy to know.
Plus, unlike some other choices (Guri, HK47) he would be less inclined to kill you in his sleep.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Thanas wrote:
Gandalf wrote:Threepio. He'd be a great asset for translation work, and a generally friendly guy to know.
Plus, unlike some other choices (Guri, HK47) he would be less inclined to kill you in his sleep.
I wouldn't be so sure about that :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9JPF3pn5O4
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Thanas wrote:I would chose C-3PO because he would be of great help translating ancient languages.
He may not be as useful as you think seeing how much trouble he has with mere Spanish.

ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

biostem wrote:While the medical knowledge would be great, a lot of Star Wars medical treatments seem to rely on bacta, which AFAIK is something that has to be harvested, and can't merely be cobbled together with regularly occurring ingredients...
If that's the case then give me a dozen droidekas and I'll give you peace in the Middle East by Christmas.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

aerius wrote:
biostem wrote:While the medical knowledge would be great, a lot of Star Wars medical treatments seem to rely on bacta, which AFAIK is something that has to be harvested, and can't merely be cobbled together with regularly occurring ingredients...
If that's the case then give me a dozen droidekas and I'll give you peace in the Middle East by Christmas.
Just how powerful Droidekas are, is inconsistent. In some episodes of Clone Wars, some falling rocks or debris can take them out, and in others, you can simply walk up to and through their shields, then blow them up at point blank range. I would assume that someone would resort to either swarming them or ramming them with a truck or something...

Now vulture droids, OTOH...
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

biostem wrote:Just how powerful Droidekas are, is inconsistent. In some episodes of Clone Wars, some falling rocks or debris can take them out, and in others, you can simply walk up to and through their shields, then blow them up at point blank range. I would assume that someone would resort to either swarming them or ramming them with a truck or something...

Damnit, quit ruining my plans! First I can't cure the world of disease, and now you're telling me I can't have Middle East peace? Fine then, I guess I'll have to settle for a well-endowed executive assistant droid to manage my business & personal finances. And give me back rubs.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

aerius wrote:
biostem wrote:Just how powerful Droidekas are, is inconsistent. In some episodes of Clone Wars, some falling rocks or debris can take them out, and in others, you can simply walk up to and through their shields, then blow them up at point blank range. I would assume that someone would resort to either swarming them or ramming them with a truck or something...

Damnit, quit ruining my plans! First I can't cure the world of disease, and now you're telling me I can't have Middle East peace? Fine then, I guess I'll have to settle for a well-endowed executive assistant droid to manage my business & personal finances. And give me back rubs.

*Just* back rubs, eh? eh!

A squad of commando droids, or a droid gunship might be pretty cool, (though in the case of the latter, you'd need a hangar or landing pad for it).
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Lonestar wrote:HK47, meatsacks.
Didn't he have a habit of arranging the deaths of his non-Revan owners?
I swear that's not my fault :wink:

with Human Replica Droids there can be a major issue depending how programble they are after all they look 100% human on the outside (just how human they are on the inside seems to depend on the source but generally it's assumed that you'd need a detailed scan to tell a HRD apart from a human) now if you could program them to be 100% obidient you could see where the issue is.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Lord Revan wrote:with Human Replica Droids there can be a major issue depending how programble they are after all they look 100% human on the outside (just how human they are on the inside seems to depend on the source but generally it's assumed that you'd need a detailed scan to tell a HRD apart from a human) now if you could program them to be 100% obidient you could see where the issue is.
Ah, but there in lies the secret. You do not program them to be obedient. You program them to be in love with you and fanatically loyal. A slave by will and choice.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Two possibilities (apart from the already mentioned) come to mind:

Mining droids.
Going by the history of the ORO station LM0228, they were all you need to build a huge city and mining operation that worked for centuries. Not sure which one would be best, though. There is a model that looks mostly like the probe droid at hoth. If that means that it is able to leave a planet and go asteroid mining, then I'm fine with it.

Or maybe a construction droid:
A Civil-Industrial I-C2 droid should be able to create a lot of buildings, including factories and generators, from the specs in its database. It has an internal furnace to create most of the needed parts from raw materials. They were popular on the outer rim, which means they should be rugged and easy to use.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Purple wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:with Human Replica Droids there can be a major issue depending how programble they are after all they look 100% human on the outside (just how human they are on the inside seems to depend on the source but generally it's assumed that you'd need a detailed scan to tell a HRD apart from a human) now if you could program them to be 100% obidient you could see where the issue is.
Ah, but there in lies the secret. You do not program them to be obedient. You program them to be in love with you and fanatically loyal. A slave by will and choice.
It's still not really a choice, since you programmed in the result. Not that I expected you to understand. At least with C-3PO and other similar droids you cannot mistake them for humans, but something that's always part of the HRD regardless of sources is that you cannot easily tell them apart from the species they're suppose to replicate so to an outsider they would look 100% and a human that's 100% devoted raises alot of serious issues in real life and that's not including things like a white supremist using a HRD to "prove" the inferiority of other races, it's a can of worms best left unopened.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Lord Revan wrote:It's still not really a choice, since you programmed in the result.
Of course there is a difference. One is acceptable to society and the other isn't. Society punishes those that enslave others through force and fear but rewards those that enslave others through emotional attachment. So as long as I make it appear that this person, for that is what I wish the replicant to pretend to be is enslaved to me through means society accepts they will accept and praise the relationship. I really do not see what is so hard to understand.
Lord Revan wrote:At least with C-3PO and other similar droids you cannot mistake them for humans, but something that's always part of the HRD regardless of sources is that you cannot easily tell them apart from the species they're suppose to replicate so to an outsider they would look 100% and a human that's 100% devoted raises alot of serious issues in real life and that's not including things like a white supremist using a HRD to "prove" the inferiority of other races, it's a can of worms best left unopened.
I think you completely and utterly missed the point of having a human replicate droid. The thing is supposed to pass as human. I have absolutely no intention of ever allowing anyone aside from my self to know this thing is not in fact a random girl that fell desperately in love with me. I'd even work out a backstory and everything to maintain the charade. If possible I'd even have her be programed to doublethink she was human whilst accepting she is a droid.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Oh it's ok. Purple is utterly unqualified to program any sort of goal system and is extremely unlikely to get the desired behaviour.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Starglider wrote:Oh it's ok. Purple is utterly unqualified to program any sort of goal system and is extremely unlikely to get the desired behaviour.
Well I am not as qualified as you are to be sure. But I am educated and skilled in programing. Not that it matters because let's face it, neither you, I or anyone else is going to have any proficiency or chance at discerning the end results of computer science so advanced that it permits slave boys working in a junkyard to produce sentient intelligence. At best we would be as cavemen bashing our crude stone tools against the smooth black surface of their impenetrable monoliths.

I assumed that I could, when picking a droid also get the appropriate programing built into it.

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I'd got with Rommie, aka Andromeda Ascendant, myself
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Zwinmar wrote:I'd got with Rommie, aka Andromeda Ascendant, myself
I'd go with her too, if we're allowed non-SW droids (and I don't think we are).

For SW purposes, hmm, take droid gunship, sell it to government for huge sum of money, live happily for the rest of my life.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

She'd be my first choice too but not in SW.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Gonk. I'll just pretend it's a kid fanatically cosplaying as one and just annoy the shit out of everyone saying gonk. :D
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Give me a sexy HRD bodyguard and, uh, companion, please!
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I thought "Rommie" was the Android, "Andromeda" was the ship's AI, and "Andromeda Ascendant" is the ship itself.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Same mind, different bodies, right?

I think we can treat them as one person, though its been a long time since I watched Andromeda, so I might be missing something here.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Same mind, different bodies, right?

I think we can treat them as one person, though its been a long time since I watched Andromeda, so I might be missing something here.
IIRC yes and no. I seem to remember that orginally they were intended to be the same person but over the series the Android body developed a personality seperate of the ship AI, I could be wrong as it's been a long time I've seen Andromeda.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lord Revan wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Same mind, different bodies, right?

IIRC yes and no. I seem to remember that orginally they were intended to be the same person but over the series the Android body developed a personality seperate of the ship AI, I could be wrong as it's been a long time I've seen Andromeda.
Yes, she did, but the three continued to be linked. They famously have different emphatic viewpoints.
biostem wrote:
I thought "Rommie" was the Android, "Andromeda" was the ship's AI, and "Andromeda Ascendant" is the ship itself.
Nope. Rommie is the nickname first used for the ship (with AI) then it sorta gets transferred to the Avatar. The characters refer to both ships and AI as Andromeda and don't usually make a distinction between both (and why would they?). But full name always has been Andromeda Ascendant for all three incarnations of the AI.
------------
------------
My LPs