7%
Other (please explain)
28%

Total votes: 29

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Pick a droid, any droid.

Post by Borgholio »

So let's say Santa gave you a droid from Star Wars. You can pick any droid seen on screen. It could be one of the classics such as 3PO or R2, or one of the newer ones like BB-8...or anything really. Which one would you choose and why? What would you use it for? How would you treat it and interact with it?

For the purposes of this question, assume that the droid also comes packaged with a combination fusion charging and repair station that can tend to all of your droid's maintenance needs.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Pick a droid, any droid.

Post by Thanas »

I would chose C-3PO because he would be of great help translating ancient languages.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Does this come with the ability to understand the droid?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Did you mean to put this in Star Wars?

Anyway. Artoo and Threepio really are probably the best choices. Likely I'd go with Artoo though, he seems the best multi-purpose worker. The downside is our technology may not be advanced enough for him to interface with... BB8 is useful if you need someone to nip into small spaces though.

Gonk droids, what the hell do they do anyway? In the Clone Wars cartoon they apparently use four-legged versions as some sort of general purpose droid. Mobile toolbox?

As for other droids... let's see:

--IG series and other assassin droids. Useful if you want to eliminate anybody. Of course if you're the only person around with an assassin droid...

--Probe droids. Not that we don't already have drones which do pretty much the same stuff, though.

--Battle droids. Only one isn't much use, unless it's an advanced unit like a super battle droid or a droideka. You could maybe try renting out droidekas to the military or something.

--Droid starfighters... now this is where it gets interesting. Depending on fuel range (a big if), they could be very useful for exploring the closer ranges of the solar system.

--There's a multitude of assorted droid types in the EU. See HK-47, for example (general purpose droid with assassin/battle droid software IIRC). Guri (human replica droid). War tank-droids. And so forth.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Terralthra wrote:Does this come with the ability to understand the droid?
Yes. Either they speak your native language or they come with a translator box. They can also communicate via text and IMs to your computer / smartphone.
Elheru Aran wrote:Did you mean to put this in Star Wars?
Could be there too...although this is a pretty random question. Either way. If a mod wants to move this to the Star Wars topic that's fine with me.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well no one's going to have the droid for very long, because once somebody realises that you have it they are bound to try and take it. Especially when a government becomes involved. Ditto for the fusion charging repair station. You would probably be captured and interrogated as well as the government would want to know where the droid came from. And if Santa is actually real- well I guess that means a mad dash to the north pole as everyone scrambles to try and locate and/or conquer him. Though if he's capable of building Star Wars droids as Christmas gifts, I'm pretty sure he could take care of himself.

I guess the best you could hope for is to keep your droid out of sight at all times and hope no one figures out where all your new ideas are coming from. Use C3PO to translate a language? Use R2D2 to reverse engineer some tech and build patents (R2D2 / BB8 might be able to figure out how to communicate via computer)? You could do these things I suppose, but you'd have to be very careful. Personally, I'd pick "return to sender" because I'm not that keen on putting my life in danger. Perhaps Guri might work since she's a human replica droid and all, and she could remain effectively hidden provided she doesn't go into an X-Ray scanner or something.

Or is this a scenario where droids are common place, and "Santa" is just your parents buying you a gift?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

He says the droids can communicate to you via text or IMs, or a 'translator box'.

Really I think R2 or BB are the best options, as they have the most various uses and technical knowledge. Language is kinda cool, but I'm not necessarily sure how 9 million (or however many) forms of communication are going to actually work for deciphering an ancient language, especially a dead one...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Can we pick from the old EU? If so I would totally go for a Human replica droid. Preferably a female one. Why? Well because it can pass for a human. And that means I don't have to spend the rest of my life trying to hide her.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

In terms of useful technology we are likely to be able to reverse engineer, the power droid (from A New Hope) has to be near the top. A droid starfighter will be chock full of super-advanced technology that is probably hypermatter fueled and we don't have any hope of reproducing. The power droid on the other hand is a relatively cheap and simple but extremely durable minature fusion reactor (it could operate for hundreds of years with minimal maintenance according to the fluff). I think there would be a decent chance of learning enough from that to mass produce cheap safe fusion reactors (even if not quite so compact).
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

For the purposes if the RAR, is the world devastator a droid?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Tribble wrote:Well no one's going to have the droid for very long, because once somebody realises that you have it they are bound to try and take it. Especially when a government becomes involved. Ditto for the fusion charging repair station. You would probably be captured and interrogated as well as the government would want to know where the droid came from. And if Santa is actually real- well I guess that means a mad dash to the north pole as everyone scrambles to try and locate and/or conquer him. Though if he's capable of building Star Wars droids as Christmas gifts, I'm pretty sure he could take care of himself.

I guess the best you could hope for is to keep your droid out of sight at all times and hope no one figures out where all your new ideas are coming from. Use C3PO to translate a language? Use R2D2 to reverse engineer some tech and build patents (R2D2 / BB8 might be able to figure out how to communicate via computer)? You could do these things I suppose, but you'd have to be very careful. Personally, I'd pick "return to sender" because I'm not that keen on putting my life in danger. Perhaps Guri might work since she's a human replica droid and all, and she could remain effectively hidden provided she doesn't go into an X-Ray scanner or something.

Or is this a scenario where droids are common place, and "Santa" is just your parents buying you a gift?
That's one thing I love about RARs...someone goes on a tangent and rides it until it finds a unicorn taking a dump into a pot of gold. :)

Well from a purely abstract standpoint, which droid would be most useful to you in your daily life? You can safely ignore issues of theft or government intervention for that question.

If you wish to consider the larger issues, would having a world full of droids (all varieties, not just Star Wars) impact which model you chose? If droids were still fantasy and you had one of your own right now which magically did not attract unreasonable attention from anyone (Hey look, it's Tribble's droid fixing his car again. *waves* So what's for dinner?), would you pick a different model?
For the purposes if the RAR, is the world devastator a droid?
They should be the human-ish sized models we see from the series. So while a world devastator may technically be a droid...it's not something that can walk (or roll) through your front door. :)
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Imperial528 wrote:For the purposes if the RAR, is the world devastator a droid?
For that matter, does IG-88's final housing count?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Captain Seafort wrote:
What was that again?
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

The second Death Star.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Borgholio wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
What was that again?
The Death Star (more specific the unfinished one from ROTJ)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Most certainly no. :)
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Can we pick something from the EU? There were some human replica droids that were both very powerful and capable of passing for a person...
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

biostem wrote:Can we pick something from the EU? There were some human replica droids that were both very powerful and capable of passing for a person...
Sure, so long as it's not something ridiculous like the IG-88 brain in a death star. :)
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Borgholio wrote:
biostem wrote:Can we pick something from the EU? There were some human replica droids that were both very powerful and capable of passing for a person...
Sure, so long as it's not something ridiculous like the IG-88 brain in a death star. :)

I'll take a Guri then, tyvm :oops:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well that's creepy.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Borgholio wrote:
Ahh, another thing to love abouts RARs... there will always be people who will take the "other" option and lawyer it up to absurd heights.
"C3PO, R2D2, BB8... hmm, I think I'll pick the World Devastator! Or how about an IG-88 brain in the Death Star 2! They're technically the same thing!" To be honest, I'm usually one of those people as well... I'm kinda disappointed I didn't think of those :P
That's one thing I love about RARs...someone goes on a tangent and rides it until it finds a unicorn taking a dump into a pot of gold. :)
What, am I the only person who thinks the idea of Russia, US and China going to war with Santa Claus's army over Star Wars droids to be pretty awesome? :D

But yes, I am the type of person to think of the implications of suddenly having to take care of a sentient droid that's far beyond our present tech. The poor thing wouldn't be protected by any laws or conventions that I am aware of, and even if it were they'd probably be ignored in the haste to study/ dissect it. I'd feel obligated to protect it as best as I could, which may make it more of a burden then help. It's not so much riding a tangent until I find a unicorn taking a dump in a pot of gold as it is recognizing a potential minefield and refusing to walk on it :P
Well from a purely abstract standpoint, which droid would be most useful to you in your daily life? You can safely ignore issues of theft or government intervention for that question.

If you wish to consider the larger issues, would having a world full of droids (all varieties, not just Star Wars) impact which model you chose? If droids were still fantasy and you had one of your own right now which magically did not attract unreasonable attention from anyone (Hey look, it's Tribble's droid fixing his car again. *waves* So what's for dinner?), would you pick a different model?
Yes, whether or not theft or government intervention would occur would impact my choice. If I don't have to worry about it, I'd probably pick something more utilitarian like R2D2 because it would likely be easier to maintain, it may have more tools/abilties than other models, and it would probably have more technological knowledge. If theft/government intervention is an issue, I'd probably pick a human-replica droid like Guri, since it would be able to do a lot more things without drawing attention to itself. And if all else fails I could always send it to Japan, since they're already surrounded by droids and mecha :P
Last edited by Tribble on 2016-01-04 08:43pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Get me the most capable medical droid, whichever one that is. I have a bunch of chronic injuries that modern real life medicine either can't fix or would be very high risk to fix. With Star Wars medical technology the surgery & treatment should be trivial. And with all the knowledge & data in the droid, it should be possible to come up with workable cures for pretty much every disease we have.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

aerius wrote:Get me the most capable medical droid, whichever one that is. I have a bunch of chronic injuries that modern real life medicine either can't fix or would be very high risk to fix. With Star Wars medical technology the surgery & treatment should be trivial. And with all the knowledge & data in the droid, it should be possible to come up with workable cures for pretty much every disease we have.
While the medical knowledge would be great, a lot of Star Wars medical treatments seem to rely on bacta, which AFAIK is something that has to be harvested, and can't merely be cobbled together with regularly occurring ingredients...
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

HK47, meatsacks.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Threepio. He'd be a great asset for translation work, and a generally friendly guy to know.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin