MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Re: MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by InsaneTD » 2018-06-26 02:57am

Probably using a smart phone and hit the call button that's presented by some sites. It puts in all the needed calling codes for it to connect for you and they wouldn't have noticed the international code.

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark » 2018-06-26 11:22pm

Not my job, but related to white water rafting:

RAFTING GUIDE: So we're going to mostly be doing Class 4 rapids today, with a couple spots that are Class 5.

ME: So that's on a scale of 1-10, right?

RAFTING GUIDE: No, 1-5.

ME: Well, shit.

RAFTING GUIDE: You'll be fine, just paddle hard, watch your head, and stay in the boat.

~~~~~

TIME PASSES:

RAFTING GUIDE: So, we're going over a waterfall in a minute. Do you guys want to flip the boat backwards and go swimming?

ME: Fuck no.

THE REST OF THE TROOP: Hell yeah we do!

ME: [facepalm]

The rafting company had a photographer stationed at all of the "fun" spots. My parents still have the picture on the wall in their hallway, right next to the one of me meeting George H. W. Bush, who I would not have voted for, but c'mon, how often do you get to shake the hand of a POTUS? #eaglescout.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2018-06-27 08:25am

Wow. That sounds like Upper Gauley River. 5 Class 5's, the rest Class 3-4, and Sweet's Falls is a waterfall.

Where was your trip?
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark » 2018-06-27 12:01pm

Penobscot River, Maine. Shit was crazy, until lunch, which we had in the calm spot. The 12' waterfall was almost right after that.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar » 2018-07-04 01:10pm

Had a woman call in, looking for photos of her son's Boy Scout rafting trip.
She couldn't tell us when they went. She couldn't tell us who scheduled the trip. She couldn't tell us the Scout Master's Name, or what the troop Number was. She had no idea who her son was traveling with, or where her son was.
But by GOD she wanted us to get her pictures for her, and it was all our fault that she couldn't find a boy with his shirt off in all the pictures on the photographer's website.

Sadly, she was talking to one of the ladies that joined up the same time I did, but who doesn't have experience being firm with people. Another lady took the phone from my co-worker and firmly told the lady "Look, go talk to the Scout Master to get the information, and then we'll help you. Have a nice day."

For the next hour all the mothers were furious with the caller, unable to believe that she was that clueless about her son's hobbies and whereabouts.
Librium Arcana, Where Gamers Play!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Devotee

Post by U.P. Cinnabar » 2018-07-04 01:15pm

But, you're supposed to magically have the information, because you're the grunts.

AIIIIII!
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law

"The Constitution's a piece of paper. A kick in the head is a jolt."
—Stanley "Ray" Kowalski
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
---NRA motto

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl » 2018-08-24 11:08pm

Background: I work for a company which develops ERP software. We have a shitload of customizations for many of our clients, and while we do support them when things go wrong, not every developer understands every client's customizations. For this one client, there's one guy who understands their custom stuff, and we'll call him Batman. The client was calling in, looking for someone to figure out why his stuff wasn't working.

CLIENT: Can we get Batman to take a look?
ME: Batman is off until Monday.
CLIENT: Is there a way to get hold of Batman? Perhaps send him an email today?
ME: No, he's on vacation. Incommunicado, as far as I know.
CLIENT: Oh, he's gone overseas?

In the client's defence, english isn't his first language.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.