MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Re: MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by Terralthra »

Rideshare companies like Lyft and Uber cover you with their insurance policy while you're carrying passengers, and only then. They only cover you from the moment a ride is accepted until the moment the passenger gets out. This means that while you're driving around waiting for a ride request, you're not covered by their insurance. More than one private insurance company has said that even though you aren't currently carrying passengers, the act of having the Lyft or Uber driver app open and being available to accept rides means you are performing "commercial driving" and their insurance does not apply to any liability (and can be cancelled as a violation of contract). This has left Lyft/Uber drivers who plowed into pedestrians or caused accidents while paying attention to their smartphone on the hook.

Some insurance companies are now offering "rideshare insurance" to cover those drivers, but it's...not cheap.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Statefarm has excellent coverage for rideshare drivers for either no or only a small extra charge. Some companies are still hostile to it, though, as above posts mention.
Elheru Aran wrote:I've got a friend considering working with Lyft. I'm not sure how exactly to tell her it might not be the awesomest idea.

EDIT: For background detail, she's currently an assistant manager or something like that at a chain pizza place. She's having workplace conflicts and seeking a transfer to another store. The Lyft thing is plan B for her. She already does a lot of delivery, so she's familiar with taking care of wear and tear on her car. She says she likes that she'd be semi-self-employed and able to set her own hours and all that...
What city? Here in SF people make a pretty decent living doing Lyft / Uber (provided they don't hate it and therefore find excuses not to do it like I did). Definitely a step up from the food service industry. Other cities with fewer fares and longer distances can come out to around minimum wage after you account for all expenses, though.

If she likes dogs you should tell her about the Wag! walking app and Rover.com. That's what I'm currently doing for cash.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Napoleon the Clown wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:I've got a friend considering working with Lyft. I'm not sure how exactly to tell her it might not be the awesomest idea.

EDIT: For background detail, she's currently an assistant manager or something like that at a chain pizza place. She's having workplace conflicts and seeking a transfer to another store. The Lyft thing is plan B for her. She already does a lot of delivery, so she's familiar with taking care of wear and tear on her car. She says she likes that she'd be semi-self-employed and able to set her own hours and all that...
Just have her do the math on it, that should dissuade her right quick. Pizza places usually comp you for distance driven on top of an hourly wage and tips. Lyft, I suspect, does not. Just whatever percent of a share. I've seen things indicating that Uber and Lyft tend to result in you being paid under minimum wage once you account for commercial car insurance, gas, oil changes, etc.

Also remind her that cleaning up vomit will become a major part of her job description. And I doubt Lyft will comp her for that in any way. Ask Shark how fun it is to clean up a backseat full of vomit.
Do you have to have commercial insurance or can you just use your own car insurance? I wonder.

I suspect that if she did it as a full-time job it'd mainly be a daytime thing. We're both in the Atlanta area so I would expect a lot of to-and-fro involving the airport, office buildings and hotels. Of course, the peak hours are probably evening and nights, to and from bars and restaurants and clubs... so yeah, if she wants to make real money she would pretty much have to work those times, which I expect she's probably used to anyway (pizza and all).

She's not the most... logical person though. Came out against Obamacare because "I don't need health insurance, I always pay up front and I've been lucky so far". Yeah...
As mentioned, private car insurance will deny any claims you make while "on the clock" with Uber or Lyft and could well drop you if they find out you're doing either of those. If the insurance that covers commercial use were cheap, ride-sharing services would require you have them, or just have it as part of the service entirely.

Assistant manager is going to be a much more reliable paycheck for her, and dealing with assholes is sort of inevitable regardless of what you do. Also, vomit. Possibly instances of blood and feces, too. If she doesn't have leather seats she might want to invest in seat covers that are easy to clean. Because seriously, vomit and other bodily wastes.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, the vinyl seats have done me some good over the years. I never take a car with cloth seats if I can help it. I've cleaned up vomit, urine, feces, and as much as about a quart of blood (that time the guy got his throat cut with a broken bottle in my back seat).

Personal note: The last time I had to clean up vomit, I was at the car wash about 50' from the spot where my sort-of girlfriend Sara had just been killed, and I looked at all the crime scene tape and emergency vehicles and the two mangled cars and thought to myself, "Oh shit, somebody's dead over there," as I was standing there hosing it out. I didn't find out it was her until the next day. My feelings about cleaning up vomit have since gone from disgust to dread.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Me: That "we can record you on mute" has never been true. We tell CSRsthat so they don't curse out customers.
Coworker: I hear CSRs curse out customers on mute all the time.
Me: There's an electrical contact inside the amp that's broken when you press the button. It physically cuts the mic part of the wire. You couldn't have heard that if they were muted.
Coworker: I did, man.
-------------
Sometimes a lie becomes so pervasive that people convince themselves they've encountered evidence of its truth.

This is why I don't trust eyewitnesses.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

OR they did curse out the customers THINKING they pressed mute, and the switch was broken. Don't know if that is any better, though....
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

There was at least one manager walking the floor at all of the phone jobs I've ever had. They might've just been standing near the cussing employee with their finger on a functional mute button.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

During a company board meeting

VP dude: ...and once these new products are rolled out we it will really donkey punch our competition

Me and everyone else under 40:

Other VP dude: Please strike that from the minutes, thank you sir.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sad to say, I actually had to go to the urban dictionary for "donkey punch". My only excuse is that I am, indeed, over 40.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

LaCroix wrote:OR they did curse out the customers THINKING they pressed mute, and the switch was broken. Don't know if that is any better, though....
Doesn't make sense. If they cursed the customer out, the customer just flat out ignored it, in this context. The guy in question listens to recorded calls like I do (or did until very recently), so he was talking about that.

The scenario you specify is why they tell CSRs that, though. Because that one has definitely happened.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Broomstick wrote:Sad to say, I actually had to go to the urban dictionary for "donkey punch". My only excuse is that I am, indeed, over 40.
That makes two of us. Now, I wish I hadn't done that.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

I was fortunate to not be drinking something. Just in at 38!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAID OF HONOR: Tell us your craziest cab story!

YOUR DRIVER: Okay, my craziest cab story is the one where the guy got his throat cut with a broken bottle.

MAID OF HONOR: ...um. Fuck, seriously? Okay, tell us your craziest cab story that's about sex!

YOUR DRIVER: Uh. Do you want a happy one, specifically?

MAID OF HONOR: Yes! Happy stories only.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I have no idea what that means (and I'm not sure even want to know) but then I'm not a native english speaker.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Lord Revan wrote:I have no idea what that means (and I'm not sure even want to know) but then I'm not a native english speaker.
It was a bachelorette party. They wanted a story about eg: a marriage proposal that ended in physical relations, as opposed to eg: an attempted rape or a hooker who cries while she works. They were aiming for a certain realm of crazy.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Raw Shark wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:I have no idea what that means (and I'm not sure even want to know) but then I'm not a native english speaker.
It was a bachelorette party. They wanted a story about eg: a marriage proposal that ended in physical relations, as opposed to eg: an attempted rape or a hooker who cries while she works. They were aiming for a certain realm of crazy.
I meant the other thing people were talking about.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Lord Revan wrote:I meant the other thing people were talking about.
Urban Dictionary covers the Donkey Punch adequately, if your curiosity overcomes you.

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

FireNexus wrote:Me: That "we can record you on mute" has never been true. We tell CSRsthat so they don't curse out customers.
Coworker: I hear CSRs curse out customers on mute all the time.
Me: There's an electrical contact inside the amp that's broken when you press the button. It physically cuts the mic part of the wire. You couldn't have heard that if they were muted.
Coworker: I did, man.
-------------
Sometimes a lie becomes so pervasive that people convince themselves they've encountered evidence of its truth.

This is why I don't trust eyewitnesses.
In a call center environment, it's possible for customers talking to other CSRs to hear a 'mute' CSR cussing a different customer out. I guess that's the why. :)
Last edited by GuppyShark on 2016-08-15 06:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Raw Shark wrote:Urban Dictionary covers the Donkey Punch adequately, if your curiosity overcomes you.
Huh. That's actually worse than what I thought it meant.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lots of UD's sex terms I assume are actually made for a laugh. No one actually does stuff like that.

Right?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Crazedwraith wrote:Lots of UD's sex terms I assume are actually made for a laugh. No one actually does stuff like that.

Right?
Well, there was a shitty movie that came out in the early/mid 00's called just that, involving the aforesaid action.

Spoiler: It doesn't end well.

Some OK nudity, though. At least until stuff hit the fan.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Crazedwraith wrote:Lots of UD's sex terms I assume are actually made for a laugh. No one actually does stuff like that.

Right?
I've never personally had a request for a sharp blow to the brain stem, but I did have a girl ask me to backhand her across the face as hard as I could during sex once. She asked me if I liked to get rough, I told her I do reasonable requests thinking she was going to ask me to pull her hair or something, and then the next thing I know she whips that out on me. We have proof, ladies and gentlemen: Raw Shark's wood can be killed.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Raw Shark wrote:

Right?
I've never personally had a request for a sharp blow to the brain stem, but I did have a girl ask me to backhand her across the face as hard as I could during sex once. She asked me if I liked to get rough, I told her I do reasonable requests thinking she was going to ask me to pull her hair or something, and then the next thing I know she whips that out on me. We have proof, ladies and gentlemen: Raw Shark's wood can be killed.
One my Exes had a rather...realistic...rape fantasy. She didn't want just rough or with her hands pinned over her head. She wanted the full on slapping, throwing, pinning, forced dry entry routine. Yeah...I passed on that one.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Right?
Corollary to Rule 34: Someone, somewhere is into it.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I believe that's Rule 36: Everything is someone's fetish.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

I've found that a lot of women think they're into choking and other mild "rough stuff" until they find a guy who has some rhythm and knows what he is doing down there, then they don't need to be choked or slapped.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong