MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote:Miss Hysteria
Control freak is pissed that she can't control you. Lock up her knife arm and elbow her in the face. Y'know, figuratively. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On-Topic:

YOUR DRIVER: Shit, I think I've got a flat.

DRUNK PASSENGER: What!?

YOUR DRIVER: There may be a flat tire on the vehicle. Give me a second and I'll check. I'll pause the meter so you're not paying for this.

DRUNK PASSENGER: This is really bad customer service!

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Raw Shark wrote:Control freak is pissed that she can't control you. Lock up her knife arm and elbow her in the face. Y'know, figuratively.
Oh, you mean mock her, scorn her, and make her look even more stupid and useless than she already is at every conceivable turn? Oh, wait, no, that would be what I've done. As the Ancient Mariner once said, do not do what I have done.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

How could it be bad customer service, when you're not charging him for checking out a possible flat?! Unless, in his alcoholic state he mentally mangled the whole pausing the meter so he wouldn't be charged part.

Some days you laugh.

Other days, you give up, and just:

"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Raw Shark wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Miss Hysteria
Control freak is pissed that she can't control you. Lock up her knife arm and elbow her in the face. Y'know, figuratively. ;)
I'm not so sure it's a control freak issue as much as she's terrified I'm going to make the job she claims is too hard and no one can succeed in look possible or even easy. She's a very negative person, full of doom. Really annoying. She also has nearly no computer skills, which are sort of essential to the job.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

So I take it her being backup was not her choice then?
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:How could it be bad customer service, when you're not charging him for checking out a possible flat?! Unless, in his alcoholic state he mentally mangled the whole pausing the meter so he wouldn't be charged part.
Some people, especially when they're drunk, have the idea that I maintain the vehicle myself and am personally responsible for any mechanical failures. The reality is that I rely on the pot-addled halfwits who are ordered to cut corners whenever possible up at the company shop, of course. About a third of the time when I shop the car (which costs me a day or more of work unless they have a replacement), I get it back in the exact same condition that it was in when I shopped it, and my only consolation is that I can go yell at the bosses about it without getting fired. Once in a while they even seem to actively be smartasses or make it worse, like the time that I complained that the credit card machine was being held on by a bungie cord and they gave it back to me dangling by its wires without the bungie cord. And those guys like me. I can only imagine the shit they put everybody else through.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

InsaneTD wrote:So I take it her being backup was not her choice then?
Um... yes and no.

Basically, she doesn't want to do it at all - she was back up to the person who was originally the primary person. Instead of making the primary the backup and retiring Miss Hysteria they have the OPP off the job entirely and Miss Hysteria is still back up.

Original Person was have made an excellent back up as she's actually competent, she just didn't want to do the work full time. But that's not my call.

Really, I have some definite reservations about this new position but I figure I should give it at least a month before requesting a transfer.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Raw Shark wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:How could it be bad customer service, when you're not charging him for checking out a possible flat?! Unless, in his alcoholic state he mentally mangled the whole pausing the meter so he wouldn't be charged part.
Some people, especially when they're drunk, have the idea that I maintain the vehicle myself and am personally responsible for any mechanical failures. The reality is that I rely on the pot-addled halfwits who are ordered to cut corners whenever possible up at the company shop, of course. About a third of the time when I shop the car (which costs me a day or more of work unless they have a replacement), I get it back in the exact same condition that it was in when I shopped it, and my only consolation is that I can go yell at the bosses about it without getting fired. Once in a while they even seem to actively be smartasses or make it worse, like the time that I complained that the credit card machine was being held on by a bungie cord and they gave it back to me dangling by its wires without the bungie cord. And those guys like me. I can only imagine the shit they put everybody else through.

:shock: Have you had many Uber/Lyft defectors from your company? From what you've told us about the shop. And management. And dispatch...
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Venator wrote: :shock: Have you had many Uber/Lyft defectors from your company? From what you've told us about the shop. And management. And dispatch...
Oh, yeah, definitely. I've never seen so many unclaimed vehicles sitting on the lot during baseball season. The company has cheerfully sat on its ass and enjoyed its ability to provide shit service to the drivers for decades, and is just now realizing that there's a problem, and they're blaming us for it in the newsletters. They actually had gall to suggest that we should shower more often and give the passengers bottled water at our own expense a few months ago.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Given how reliant Uber is on cheating its workforce and paying them extremely poor wages, I can't imagine they'd be doing such good business outcompeting the taxi companies if the taxi companies weren't busily grenading themselves in the foot.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Simon_Jester wrote:Given how reliant Uber is on cheating its workforce and paying them extremely poor wages, I can't imagine they'd be doing such good business outcompeting the taxi companies if the taxi companies weren't busily grenading themselves in the foot.
I fully concur. I was actually invited to a war meeting about a year ago where we discussed how my company can remain competitive, with ten or twelve of the other guys who've been there the longest (I was probably the youngest guy in the room), and I threw them suggestions like, "Keep the fleet in proper working order so I don't say-for-example break down on my way to a pick-up or lose my brakes abruptly with a passenger in the back and nearly kill us both (both of which have happened to me)," "Improve the app so it works as easily as theirs," "Fire everybody in Dispatch, replace them with people who give a rat's ass, and pay them more than minimum wage," and last but not least, "Improve the network so we can take credit cards consistently instead of watching it go down more than a three-dollar hooker every weekend." Those things would all involve spending money, however, so even though the junior manager who moderated the meeting dutifully wrote them down, upper management promptly shitcanned them and started blaming the problem on us.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

So Uber is taking an already existing shitty business model, making it even worse by cutting out the fleet and passing the "savings" onto their drivers, and the cab companies wonder why they're being beaten at their own game?
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

DUMB'R THAN TWO BAGS OF SHIT: Is thirteen dollars enough, or would you prefer fifteen?

YOUR DRIVER: It's up to you, but I'll take what I can get.

DUMB'R THAN TWO BAGS OF SHIT: Well, if I give you the two extra dollars, can you promise me it won't go to Puerto Rico or Guam or something?

YOUR DRIVER: I'm not sure what you mean, bud...

DUMB'R THAN TWO BAGS OF SHIT: You know, how those furriners want to muscle in on everything? How do I know my money won't help them become states?

YOUR DRIVER: Huh? Those are fairly powerless territories of this country.

DUMB'R THAN TWO BAGS OF SHIT: Yeah, but they want to muscle in on everything and take our jobs. This country was better when it was thirteen states.

YOUR DRIVER: Know a lot of people from Guam who live on the mainland, do you?

DUMB'R THAN TWO BAGS OF SHIT: Fifty is bad enough; we don't need fifty-two.

YOUR DRIVER: You have an Arkansas accent. You do realize that Arkansas wasn't one of the original thirteen, right?

DUMB'R THAN TWO BAGS OF SHIT: You know what I mean.

YOUR DRIVER: Actually, I don't. What are you even talking about?

DUMB'R THAN TWO BAGS OF SHIT: I'm talking about them island people taking over our country, like that Kenyan Muslim Obama.

YOUR DRIVER: Either Obama is from Kenya, or from an island, such as Hawai'i. You can't have both, because Kenya isn't... y'know what, fuck it. Yes, I solemnly promise that the extra two bucks will go towards putting food on my table, not Puerto Rico or Guam.

DUMB'R THAN TWO BAGS OF SHIT: Okay, here you go.
Last edited by Raw Shark on 2016-08-10 08:24am, edited 1 time in total.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Had a brief meeting with the new boss yesterday. Actually went pretty well. We went over what I need to improve (and it was actually present in that manner, not as an euphemism for "you fucked up"), I told her that I felt my back up wasn't backing me up at all even though the rest of the team was extremely helpful. Turns out I failed to report to someone I should have, but that's because I didn't know so that shouldn't happen (or not happen) in the future. My Sunday schedule has been changed to give me more time to get the Essential Sunday Task done on time. I do need to move faster and learn more about the department, but she emphasized that that will take some more time and what she really needs to see at this point is steady improvement.

The boss has her quirks, but for the most part she does let you know what she does and doesn't want in a clear manner, and when she corrects you it's done without getting personal and actually focusing on the job. She's a bit moody as a person, but far from the worst I've worked for. She's a bit defensive in talking to her subordinates - based on that, and some of my coworkers, I think she's used to a lot of pushback and people taking things too personally. The only cure for that is my being an adult about being corrected. I've actually thanked her for telling me when I'm doing something wrong, which I think surprised her a bit, but honestly, if you don't tell me what I'm doing wrong I can't fix it. I think she might tend to remember past wrongs a bit too well, but, again, if I can demonstrate a track record of accepting correction and not repeating mistakes I think we'll both get past that.

Basically, new job blues which is adding a bit of stress to my life, but both the boss and my spouse think that this will pass in a month or so and I'll be chugging along just fine after that. I should accept that at face value, but I tend to worry and fret more than I should (hey, I have my quirks, too).

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:So Uber is taking an already existing shitty business model, making it even worse by cutting out the fleet and passing the "savings" onto their drivers, and the cab companies wonder why they're being beaten at their own game?
Not just the fleet, but the entire logistical burden. It might seem like a good deal to have to get private mechanics who actually do their jobs up front, but have fun paying through the nose to replace your own car's transmission in three years, motherfuckers. Also, the more incidents of gross negligence they allow, the less the public will trust them. I talked to three people last night who would rather ride with a regulated company that does background checks, carries professional chauffeur's insurance, inspects the vehicles once a week instead of once and then never again, doesn't wait until you're drunk and then bend you over and rape you on prices, etc.
Last edited by Raw Shark on 2016-08-10 11:04am, edited 1 time in total.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I've got a friend considering working with Lyft. I'm not sure how exactly to tell her it might not be the awesomest idea.

EDIT: For background detail, she's currently an assistant manager or something like that at a chain pizza place. She's having workplace conflicts and seeking a transfer to another store. The Lyft thing is plan B for her. She already does a lot of delivery, so she's familiar with taking care of wear and tear on her car. She says she likes that she'd be semi-self-employed and able to set her own hours and all that...
Last edited by Elheru Aran on 2016-08-10 11:05am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Elheru Aran wrote:I've got a friend considering working with Lyft. I'm not sure how exactly to tell her it might not be the awesomest idea.
I think that if you search for posts under my name with the keyword Uber you'll have adequate ammunition. The first real taxi company to adapt will stomp the clown cars into the ground. I just hope it's mine, because switching to another would be a lot of paperwork and a day at City Hall for me.
Elheru Aran wrote:She says she likes that she'd be semi-self-employed and able to set her own hours and all that...
Yeah, that's what I like the most about driving a real cab.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The sad thing is, if Uber weren't doing a bunch of completely unnecessary extra sleazy shit I'd be cheering for them. From Raw Shark's posts it's clear that the current taxi medallion system is an outdated, anti-competitive mess that really needs someone to shake things up with a bit of creative loophole exploitation. And that wouldn't be all that hard: Just set yourself up as a limousine company, employ drivers as independent contractors using their own cars and only do pickups booked in advance. That worked in London in the Sixties, I see no reason it shouldn't work in New York or Chicago or Denver today. Going the extra mile with this nonsense about being a "ride-sharing service" which is something completely new and different and therefore not subject to oppressive legislation like mandatory liability insurance and vehicle roadworthiness inspections is them just being dicks.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well I did glance over Lyft's website briefly a while ago and it did note that they required insurance coverage, offering their own coverage as well, and vehicle inspections. Something like that. Dunno about Uber. Of course I don't know what enforcement is like... and of course without state or federal regulation, they can do pretty much whatever they want.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Elheru Aran wrote:I've got a friend considering working with Lyft. I'm not sure how exactly to tell her it might not be the awesomest idea.

EDIT: For background detail, she's currently an assistant manager or something like that at a chain pizza place. She's having workplace conflicts and seeking a transfer to another store. The Lyft thing is plan B for her. She already does a lot of delivery, so she's familiar with taking care of wear and tear on her car. She says she likes that she'd be semi-self-employed and able to set her own hours and all that...
Just have her do the math on it, that should dissuade her right quick. Pizza places usually comp you for distance driven on top of an hourly wage and tips. Lyft, I suspect, does not. Just whatever percent of a share. I've seen things indicating that Uber and Lyft tend to result in you being paid under minimum wage once you account for commercial car insurance, gas, oil changes, etc.

Also remind her that cleaning up vomit will become a major part of her job description. And I doubt Lyft will comp her for that in any way. Ask Shark how fun it is to clean up a backseat full of vomit.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Interest point, some of the cabs here I've been in feature little "help yourself" dispensers featuring a roll of cheap little scented plastic diaper baggies. I asked a guy once if people really changed a baby's diaper in his cab, and he said it was for the hurlers, and worth every penny.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:

Just have her do the math on it, that should dissuade her right quick. Pizza places usually comp you for distance driven on top of an hourly wage and tips. Lyft, I suspect, does not. Just whatever percent of a share. I've seen things indicating that Uber and Lyft tend to result in you being paid under minimum wage once you account for commercial car insurance, gas, oil changes, etc.

Also remind her that cleaning up vomit will become a major part of her job description. And I doubt Lyft will comp her for that in any way. Ask Shark how fun it is to clean up a backseat full of vomit.
Do you have to have commercial insurance or can you just use your own car insurance? I wonder.

I suspect that if she did it as a full-time job it'd mainly be a daytime thing. We're both in the Atlanta area so I would expect a lot of to-and-fro involving the airport, office buildings and hotels. Of course, the peak hours are probably evening and nights, to and from bars and restaurants and clubs... so yeah, if she wants to make real money she would pretty much have to work those times, which I expect she's probably used to anyway (pizza and all).

She's not the most... logical person though. Came out against Obamacare because "I don't need health insurance, I always pay up front and I've been lucky so far". Yeah...
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

It needs to be commercial insurance. Many companies including Mercury will cancel your personal policy if they find you are using it commercially or for work.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Yeah, if they only require regular car insurance, rather than professional chauffeur's insurance, there's a pretty big difference from the perspective of the passenger. Last I heard, it is the former case rather than the latter with ride share companies. Your car just has to be street legal to work for them.

Here in Colorado, the minimum coverage for a regular car is $15,000 in liability covering anybody you ram your vehicle into and doing nothing at all for the people inside your own vehicle, which I paid about $900/year for on my regular car back before the flood ate it last year. The professional insurance that I am required by law to carry on my taxi costs significantly more (to the tune of $8,000/year), but covers the people inside your vehicle (besides the driver) for up to $1,500,000 if anything happens to them, which was probably greatly appreciated by the passenger who got his back broken that time I got t-boned by a drunk driver who ran a red light. I read an article once in which the spokesman for Uber more-or-less said, "If our drivers had to shell out $8,000/year for coverage on their passengers, we wouldn't have any drivers, so we're just not going to do that because we don't wanna." I haven't looked into Lyft, but I doubt their position is any different.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

What I saw from the Lyft website (which was admittedly a quick gloss) they allow you to use your own insurance, but they hint heavily that you should carry theirs as well. Of course it's not like that gives them a financial benefit or anything like that...