Samurai Armor becomes all the rage (RAR!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

What do you do?

I go and buy me some Samurai Armor
14%
I wait until this silliness blows over
50%
I go on an anti-samurai armor tirade
14%
Other
7%
Zor Hyō, Shōgun no Sutādesutoroiyā!
14%

Total votes: 28

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Samurai Armor becomes all the rage (RAR!)

Post by Purple »

Thanas wrote:I have carried similar loads for day.
And I can't physically lift 25kg and walk around with it unless you give me a wheelbarrow. And I imagine your average overweight underexploited middle age guy probably can't either.
But in the end, you should trust the reenactors who actually practice for hours in those things. They manage it just fine.
I do. Sort of. I've seen plenty of people on youtube and read plenty of accounts and they all basically say the same thing. Reasonably comfortable, easy to carry and fight in for a while. But stuffy, hot and generally not something you wear 24/7. But I actually know a person who does reenacting. Not sure if he has full plate but if not he probably does know someone that does. I'll go ask him and inform my self better before I continue with this conversation.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, it is hot and stuffy. But the weight issue....I mean, c'mon, 15-25 kgs distributed all over your body isn't that bad.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

There's a big difference between carrying a 25kg bag of potatoes and having 25kg of gear distributed across your body.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Vortex Empire wrote:There's a big difference between carrying a 25kg bag of potatoes and having 25kg of gear distributed across your body.
This. It may all weight 25kg in a bundle, but when you realize that you're talking about a *lot* of discrete parts distributed all over the body...

Here are a few examples gathered from a merchandise site:

Deepeeka brand (India made) Gothic sallet helmet
5 lbs 9 oz, ~2.5 kg. This being the helmet, naturally you want it a little heavy. Deepeeka makes mostly re-enactment wear, not actual sparring wear, and the site doesn't state what gauge the helmet is made of but it's likely fairly light-- 16 or 18 gauge. This is not too far from historic norms, but modern standards tend to prefer heavier gauges like 14 or even 12.

16ga steel greaves
3lbs 8oz each, ~1.5 kg, per leg

16ga steel gauntlets
1lb ~5 oz each. A little over half a kilo.

This is all, by the way, suspended more or less individually by its form to one's body. It doesn't all depend from one's shoulders or waist, the weight is distributed fairly well around the entire body. You can even swim in it. This is in contrast to modern kit, where soldiers have to wear ~20-30 kg of equipment in a backpack and on their upper body (and often their body armour isn't part of that load, so you have to add that weight as well).
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Purple wrote:I do. Sort of. I've seen plenty of people on youtube and read plenty of accounts and they all basically say the same thing. Reasonably comfortable, easy to carry and fight in for a while. But stuffy, hot and generally not something you wear 24/7. But I actually know a person who does reenacting. Not sure if he has full plate but if not he probably does know someone that does. I'll go ask him and inform my self better before I continue with this conversation.
In the context of armor as business wear, air-conditioned offices will probably make the issue of heat a non-factor. As for being stuff or hard to type in, I'd imagine opening visors and taking off gloves, would be seen the same way as loosening one's tie. Taking off a helmet would be like taking off a jacket. You'd put these things back on before a meeting with the boss, but you probably wouldn't work fully buttoned up.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Jub wrote:
Purple wrote:I do. Sort of. I've seen plenty of people on youtube and read plenty of accounts and they all basically say the same thing. Reasonably comfortable, easy to carry and fight in for a while. But stuffy, hot and generally not something you wear 24/7. But I actually know a person who does reenacting. Not sure if he has full plate but if not he probably does know someone that does. I'll go ask him and inform my self better before I continue with this conversation.
In the context of armor as business wear, air-conditioned offices will probably make the issue of heat a non-factor. As for being stuff or hard to type in, I'd imagine opening visors and taking off gloves, would be seen the same way as loosening one's tie. Taking off a helmet would be like taking off a jacket. You'd put these things back on before a meeting with the boss, but you probably wouldn't work fully buttoned up.
depening on the model of armor taking off the gloves can a quite complicated though at least for the Samurai armors I've seen the lower arm protection and glove and a single unit that's strapped to your lower arm (and with a flexible part on the wrist) and I remember seeing European armors with similar basic design.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Lord Revan wrote:depening on the model of armor taking off the gloves can a quite complicated though at least for the Samurai armors I've seen the lower arm protection and glove and a single unit that's strapped to your lower arm (and with a flexible part on the wrist) and I remember seeing European armors with similar basic design.
I'd expect that to be a solved problem when it comes to mass produced armor-cum-business wear. It wouldn't be hard to make a quick release for gauntlets while still allowing them to look almost right. Of course, more formal armor probably wouldn't have this feature just like a Walmart dress shirt usually forgoes cufflinks for buttons.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I can't contact the person I need until tomorrow. Until than I'll only say three things:

1. I know how the weight of armor is distributed. At least I do for European armor. I've basically watched a series of videos where a guy goes into great detail about how the armor pieces connect to one another and the arming garments underneath for this role. And I imagine that the Japanese probably did something similar. But that does not change the fact that it's heavy. How many people do you know would agree to wear 1/4 to 1/3 of their body weight (depending on their weight and the armor in question) in fashion accessories even if it's not a huge problem to do so?

2. How do you solve the problem of not being able to put it on and take it off without help?

3. You really should NOT be looking at making this heavy gauge and protective and stuff. If it's a fashion thing than protection is not only not a requirement but is flat out negative as it adds to the weight without contributing anything. Just make it stiff enough that it does not dent when you accidentally bump into something.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Yes, I was going with cheap plasics = brittle chinese toy plastic. The moment you use plastic that is robust enough, you'd be more expensive than stamped steel.

And I personally know people who were wearing full plate for hours, outside, in summer, and were active while doing so. If needed, you could wear them all day.

The English prior to the battle of Agincourt wore their suits for days, and did sometimes even sleep in armor, for fear of being ambushed. You usually did not, but not so much for comfort, but for the old steel did rust pretty quickly when not greased and stowed away in even mildly humid weather. With the weather during that time, when the battle finally was joined at Agincourt, the English were rusty brown instead of shiny silver.

With modern stainless or stain-resistant steel, and modern coatings and care products, this isn't an issue.

You might even crome-plate the whole thing, to become the essence of *bling*.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Purple wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:
Titan Uranus wrote:If you want to wear armor as everyday clothing, chainmail is going to be the most comfortable type, outside of winter in any case.
Not really, chainmail puts all the weight onto your shoulders, plate armor is much more evenly distributed.
IIRC you are supposed to wear chain with a belt so that the weight does not sit on your shoulders but your waist.
I don't know where you got THAT information. Chain mail shirts are supported fully by the shoulders. All the chain shirts I've worn have also been somewhat form-fitted. The way the links are connected allows it to mold to your shape, so it's not hanging free. Thus, there's no need for a belt to 'support' it... the belt's there to hold your weapon.

Now, if you're talking chain *Leggings*, then yes, you need a belt to support those.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Not so much for the usual shirt-sized maille, but it does help if you are wearing a proper mid-thigh or almost knee lenght, though. The belt helps with these - the 'skirt' below it isn't supported by the shoulder, anymore, but by the belt clamping it at your waist. It does make a lot of difference for those.

Random, but good picture - see how it even warps above the belt - the whole section below is certainly not hanging from the shoulder...

A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.