Evicted

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: Evicted

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Broomstick wrote:Regrettably, NASA has been very reluctant to allow anyone other than exceptionally fit people into space even though at some point we (supposedly) will be sending ordinary folks aloft. I think it unlikely they're ready to accept disabled applicants. There are so many qualified able-bodied applicants that they have no need to do otherwise.
It's mostly out of a concern about ensuring a return to normal activity after the astronauts return to Earth due to the loss in muscle mass that is guaranteed, unless said astronauts spend most of their time exercising to deal with problem which defeats the point of sending them into space in the first place.

Long term, in terms of potential future technology, artificial gravity would take care of this problem. This would be all but required for any long term mission to something like Mars.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

There's different forms of disability, and likely some would be less affected by the muscle atrophy of micro-gravity than others. There's also the matter of how long a mission might last (a few days being very different than a few months). The steadfast refusal to even consider someone less than supremely fit is a slap in the face to the ordinary person. It is, in fact, one of the criticisms of NASA that they've done quite a bit to keep access to space open only to a tiny elite - that's why the Russians were the first to send up a woman, and the first to profit from space tourism.

If we're ever to get off this particular rock in space we're going to have allow more than just supermen (and women) aloft.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

My disability (severely visually impaired) wouldn't be a physical problem to being aboard ship for long periods, but not being able to see what I'm doing all the time wouldn't help.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

There's always the possibility that micro gravity could make your disability worse.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."