The Man in the high castle

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

FaxModem1
Sith Acolyte

Re: The Man in the high castle

Postby FaxModem1 » 2017-02-05 01:29pm

I finished season 2 a few weeks ago. I rather enjoyed it. I'm curious to see where they'll go with this, as the book really had an inevitable conclusion, and the show seems to want to avoid that.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Postby Thanas » 2017-02-07 09:56am

Season 2 was very well written, showing the horrors of both systems.

Also there were a lot of different little things, like the digital recreation of Germania and the evolution of Nazi medals....horrifying yet very stylish.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Postby Phantasee » 2017-02-08 11:40am

Thanas wrote:Season 2 was very well written, showing the horrors of both systems.

Also there were a lot of different little things, like the digital recreation of Germania and the evolution of Nazi medals....horrifying yet very stylish.

Digital recreation of what? What about the Nazi medals stood out to you?
XXVIII

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Postby Thanas » 2017-02-08 12:29pm

Phantasee wrote:
Thanas wrote:Season 2 was very well written, showing the horrors of both systems.

Digital recreation of what?

Germania. Speer's plans for Berlin.

What about the Nazi medals stood out to you?

Well, some of them are clearly new inventions but combine the war merit cross with the knight's cross, the implications of which are pretty interesting. For example the neck order seems to have displaced the Knight's cross as the highest order. As it is awarded to people who could not have fought on the Nazi side in the war (like Smith) it seems to have been awarded for a later role. Smith was the commander of concentration camps and thus we can conclude that the award is either boilerplate (unlikely) or was awarded for efforts supporting the succesful conclusion of the holocaust and/or racial purity.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs

FaxModem1
Sith Acolyte

Postby FaxModem1 » 2017-02-08 01:50pm

One thing I found interesting was that there was Fascist reasoning for environmentalism in the younger generation, keeping a perfect planet for perfect people, etc.

Another thing was the Lebensborn, and their seeming role in society. They seem rather analogous to trust fund babies who have had the world handed to them, and are against the direction their parents are going, but still being fascist in outlook. A 1960s counter culture movement, but one completely unlike ours.

LaCroix
Sith Marauder

Postby LaCroix » 2017-02-15 09:29am

Sooo, I was in Sopron to do some official business ...

Had a real WTF moment when I saw the Mayor's office...

Only then I noticed the camera equipment getting set up.
(I had no phone on me, but I found somebody who posted a picture of what it looked like on 9gag...)
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Postby Phantasee » 2017-02-15 11:20pm

DUN DUN DUN

Season 3 should be interesting, I expect a focus on John Smith and maybe flashbacks about the initial occupation in the Greater Reich.
XXVIII

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Postby K. A. Pital » 2017-02-22 04:10pm

I've been watching this from the start. It suffers from the same things as the book, although the book is much better due to the unfinished-ness of the whole thing. Dick is a good crazy writer (Ubik is still among my favorite novels), but Man in the High Castle is not a particularly strong work. But this show has been underwhelming when compared to both source material and other shows currently running.
It is of paramount importance to achieve naval superiority... because humans are mostly made of water

FaxModem1
Sith Acolyte

Postby FaxModem1 » 2017-02-22 04:49pm

Could you expand on that?

I enjoy the show, but I honestly feel like something is missing, but I'm not sure what it is.

Spoiler
I think it's potentially the lack of options the characters have with saving the world, with a growing realization that they're inevitably doomed, as they start to realize in the book.

The show doesn't really seem to have that, when it was a key theme of the book.