Original SW trilogy viewing party in San Francisco 12/13

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Original SW trilogy viewing party in San Francisco 12/13

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Hi all,

I know a few of you live near me, so I wanted to announce an event that I created. We are watching Harmy's Despecialized Edition of the original Star Wars trilogy at Asiento on 21st St and Bryant St in San Francisco on December 13. Here is the event link: https://www.facebook.com/events/550589071762618/

For many years, I believed that the 1993 Laserdisc version was the definitive edition of the original trilogy, save perhaps the custom mix that Mike Wong made. I considered PMing him for a copy until I found out that some dedicated fans made an HD copy of the non-special editions using the Blu-Ray releases for most of the footage and substituting non-SE footage from a variety of sources to edit out the SE changes to create the Despecialized Edition. I've only watched the first 10 minutes, but the quality is truly amazing and I can't wait to showcase it!

Because of the number of people that will be attending, I have cleared this with my firm as a marketing event, so if you sign my attendance sheet you will get a free drink. In fact, if you tell me that you're from SDN and your username, I'll get you 2 free drinks ;)
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Original SW trilogy viewing party in San Francisco 12/13

Post by Ralin »

Custom mix by Wong? I don't think I've heard this one
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Wait WHAT!? There exists a relatively unmolested, high-quality version of the original trilogy? How did I not know about this and who must I punish for not informing me?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

While hope you have fun, I am wondering at the pointed on a unspecialed edition. Especially the way you described it, isn't the format/quality going to change radically when you hit a sequence you've pulled from somewhere else?
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I've taken the liberty of inviting a few members of the Golden Gate Knights, the lightsabre choreography group I help organize.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Chimaera wrote:Wait WHAT!? There exists a relatively unmolested, high-quality version of the original trilogy? How did I not know about this and who must I punish for not informing me?
Years ago I bought a special release of the OT that was a 6-disc set. Three discs had the Special Edition of the movies, and three had the Original Theatrical edition. Guess which discs get the most use? :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Crazedwraith wrote:While hope you have fun, I am wondering at the pointed on a unspecialed edition. Especially the way you described it, isn't the format/quality going to change radically when you hit a sequence you've pulled from somewhere else?
Supposedly they were able to upscale the original footage to fit in. I haven't watched it yet, but everyone says it looks amazing.
Ralin wrote:Custom mix by Wong? I don't think I've heard this one
He mentioned in passing several years ago that he had made his own version using the SE DVD and non-SE laserdisc footage.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

The event is today at 5, hope to see you there!