Warcraft movie trailer released

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Warcraft movie trailer released

Post by Borgholio »

This, combined with the new SW international trailer...I feel like a 5 year old all over again.

Today is a very good day for movie trailers.

You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Warcraft movie trailer released

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

I don't think it's a good sign that even the CG in the trailer looks downright awful.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

We looking at the same trailer? It looks like incredibly good CGI...and they still have 8 months of post-production to go.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I'm a bit surprised they didn't do it all in CGI with motion capture. Blizzard games often have an over-the-top visual aesthetic to them with the Big Armor, Big Weapons, etc. That looks better when everything in it is CGI rather than some being live action.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Looks like they're giving Durotan a role of a peacemaker (one that obviously is gonna fail but still), also for the size Draka is there Thrall is really small.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Retcon: The Movie :razz:

So is this just the first game (for an incredibly loose definition of the original plot) or what? Wonder if it'll become Official Lore...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Move continuity vs. game continuity - why the hell not, works for Marvel, right? Well, in that case movie vs. comic book, but the same idea.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I don't think it's a good sign that even the CG in the trailer looks downright awful.
That's some of the best CG I've ever seen, myself. Looks fucking epic and I've never even touched Warcraft.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I'm only familiar w/ the lore up to WC3... are their brown/tan & green orcs? I suppose this is going to be before they ally with the trolls or tauren?
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Are you guys kidding me? That CG looks incredibly fake. Some of the shots with the human characters are especially terrible; it looks like their face is badly photoshopped onto a background. Unless there's something really fucked up with my computer monitor, I don't see how you could consider that impressive. It's definitely not as good as "Avatar", which was six years ago.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

biostem wrote:I'm only familiar w/ the lore up to WC3... are their brown/tan & green orcs? I suppose this is going to be before they ally with the trolls or tauren?
In the beginning, all Orcs were brown.

After some of them drank the blood of the demon Mannoroth (sp?) they turned green.

Except, some Orcs who didn't drink the blood turned green, too, like Durotan and Draka (I think they didn't drink demon blood... ) This is why in the current expansion Durotan and Draka (the alternate-universe counterparts of Thrall's parents) are brown, because in that universe the Orcs didn't drink demon blood. Thrall (who's original name was Go'el) is still green. For awhile, the Horde's Warchief was a brown Orc from Outland (original universe remnants of Draenor, the Orc's homeworld) who was spared the green skin mutation because of being isolated in a village along with other suffers of a disease called the red pox...

Um... yeah, there are brown and green Orcs. (Also red ones here and there, which are green Orcs further mutated by drinking more demon blood or otherwise doing Evil Things).
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

As someone who played all the Warcrafts, and WoW (Horde) for many years.... nothing in this trailer makes me want to see the movie. It looks like more World of Orcraft apologism and the setup for a really boring 'why can't we all get along' plot.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

It isn't. Blizzard said it's akin the ultimate brand of marvel (similar characters, somewhat different way events play out.) Bad writing aside the tie in stuff has made the orcs more tolerable (it's established that the bulk of the orcs who fought with garrosh were blackrock and dragon maw. The other orc clans are implied to have gotten fed up and joined the rebels.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Darth Yan wrote:It isn't. Blizzard said it's akin the ultimate brand of marvel (similar characters, somewhat different way events play out.) Bad writing aside the tie in stuff has made the orcs more tolerable (it's established that the bulk of the orcs who fought with garrosh were blackrock and dragon maw. The other orc clans are implied to have gotten fed up and joined the rebels.
In other words: more Horde whitegreen-washing from Blizzard. :roll:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

in other news it seems like Varian's mom (aka Oueen Taria Wrynn) was alive after the assassination of Llane Wrynn (that scene in Stormwind seems to be a funeral of some sorts).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Lord Revan wrote:in other news it seems like Varian's mom (aka Oueen Taria Wrynn) was alive after the assassination of Llane Wrynn (that scene in Stormwind seems to be a funeral of some sorts).
In other news I think this first time we've seen Varian's mother depicted any way, obviously she existed before this film since Llane had a child but I can't remember her ever been named or depicted before this film. though it's implied in the game canon that she had died before the events of WC1 (well technically it's implied that she's not present but Queen of Stormwind is rather high profile role so...)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, it doesn't immediately look like shit, but I am still very sceptical regarding its real chances of being good.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I wonder how far things will be twisted and bent backward to make a people that hold "genocidal rampage" as their default (Warlords of Draenor proved this) not responsible for drinking demon blood, becoming more genocidal, then invading another world entirely after wiping their own clean of life.

Because this is Blizzard, and we all know that the horde and it's peoples are never responsible for the things they do, and that to think otherwise is evil.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

RogueIce wrote:Retcon: The Movie :razz:

So is this just the first game (for an incredibly loose definition of the original plot) or what? Wonder if it'll become Official Lore...
If you really want a retcon, at 1:20 there's a brief glimpse of a flying city, which I remember being confirmed as Dalaran.

*note for people who don't read Warcraft lore: Dalaran did not become a flying city until the Wrath of the Lich King expansion of WoW, which is set 27 years after the war being depicted in this movie.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Civil War Man wrote:
RogueIce wrote:Retcon: The Movie :razz:

If you really want a retcon, at 1:20 there's a brief glimpse of a flying city, which I remember being confirmed as Dalaran.

*note for people who don't read Warcraft lore: Dalaran did not become a flying city until the Wrath of the Lich King expansion of WoW, which is set 27 years after the war being depicted in this movie.[/quote

You can ret-con if you're in a different continuity which movies almost always are.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

ghetto edit: can't. Can't retcon from a different continuity.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Looks like shit. Visually that crappy Final Fantasy movie looks better even now 15 years later, but from what I can see even that steaming turd had a more interesting story.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Eh. I'd hardly say genocidal rampage is their default state. They coexisted with the Draenei for centuries and Warlords of Draenor can easily be interpreted as Garrosh deliberately giving Grom part of the story and leaving out other key information to make him believe believe they had to conquer everything, and given that most of the the orcs were beaten defecated on and forced to live in cramped living conditions for most of their childhoods (most of the orcs are the children of the ones who took part in the second war) simply because of what their parents did (combined with Daelin Proudmoore launching an unprovoked attack) it kind of made it easy to see why they bought Garrosh's nonsense. In short it's an ugly messy situation where both sides share blame for continuing the conflict. Doesn't make their actions right but it's possible to understand why they drank the hatorade.
[quote ="Arielangel"][/quote]
Or as some of the guys on Battlenet pointed out

Arielangel wrote: The problem of the camps was to deliver the same treatment (even if said treatment was merely psychological) to children and adults alike.

You may argue the adults deserved it; and yes, they did. Perhaps even more. Perhaps death and much, much more.

The children on the other hand... they didn´t. The negligence with the youngsters was what made possible for someone delusional like Garrosh to manipulate them and earn their loyalty. The discontent. The notion a complete generation of innocent people HAS TO pay for the errors of the previous generetion only makes space for hate. Hate for said parents. Hate for the punishers. Hate for themselves.

I don´t know you people, but I always found extremely sad what Gorgonna said to Garrosh in his leader´s short story. Yes the orcs have to attone. But that attonement had to come from the guilty ones, not the innocent youngsters. Innocent that grew up full of resentment and with morals and self esteem tempered by hate, fear and self doubt:

“Our parents fought in the wars,” she said slowly. “They drank the blood of Mannoroth like your father did, and they were parties to its curse. They committed terrible acts in the name of the Horde. They attacked and murdered the innocent.”

Garrosh bristled. His father was no murderer. “They did what they believed necessary! Do you defile the name of your own blood?”

“I honor my parents' memory—make no mistake!” she cried. “But what they believed was wrong. What all the orcs believed was wrong. We must suffer for it. The warchief understands this, as do I. My sister does not.”

“That is ridiculous. You never even fought in the wars! You said you were children in the internment camps! Isn’t that enough punishment? Why should you suffer any more?”

“I bear the mark all the same,” she said, holding up her hands—green, as were her sister’s, as were all the orcs in Orgrimmar, save him. “I reap what all of them have sown. Is there not some payment owed?”

“And who would set the price?” Garrosh demanded. Her attitude angered him. Did she have no pride at all? “Who could possibly have the right to make that call?”

“I will pay what the warchief asks,” she answered.

“Thrall would never be that unreasonable. We don’t owe anybody anything.”

Gorgonna stared at him a moment, then unexpectedly she laughed just as bitterly as her sister had. “Of course not,” she said. “You don’t owe anybody a thing, Mag’har. But we are not you.”

So she basically said she had to suffer because her skin was green... is almost like a bad joke of a slave. She didn´t murder, steal, *@%@@#%! or anything; but the warped and ridiculous logic here is that "she must pay for the sins of her parents and feel content while doing so"

I personally find that ridiculous. One pays for one´s mistakes. No more and no less.

The children of the orcs born on the internment camps should have been separated from the adults, put on orphanages similar to human ones and treated with respect and kindness. They could have developed looking at the humans not as punishers or jailors, but as parents themselves.

What the Alliance did (A.K.A. mantain them with the adults in confinement) DID create an entire generation of abused children. The only difference is that some of those children resented everything around them because of the unjust situation (like Krenna) or grew up believing it was perfectly normal and that they should pay for the sin of having green skin (like Gorgonna).

Me thinks none of those abused children are mentaly healthy. The first one did show that propension to mindless violence and the second one accepted the abuse and even defends it, at the cost of her self esteem.

Malodin wrote:I completely agree with you here. The orcish children were innocent and their mistreatment in the camps eventually led to someone like Garrosh being allowed to pull what he pulled..

However, I can't really think of anything that would have made it turn out differently.
Was it wrong that the orcish children were left in the camps like their parents? Of course it was. It was terribly wrong, however, the alternative is taking them away from their parents. From there, what do they do with them? Do they give them foster-families within the human population, which among that population, only a handful didn't outright want to see the orcs dead? Now you have orcish children being directly abused, without at least the comfort of their biological parents.

Then what? Do they put them in large orphanages? If they do that, they might as well be in the camps. At least they have their parents.

It's just one of those things were there's no real "right" way to go about it.

Garrosh only got as much pull as he did because the abusive nature of the camps and their "sins of the father" mentality ensured that a lot of orcs grew up with a strong distaste of humanity. Like it or not the Alliance's "sins of the father" mentality is pretty much one of the main reasons Garrosh got support. Thrall turned out okay because even though he was exposed to the darker side of humanity through Adelas Blackmoore, he was also shown compassion and decency from Taretha and Seargent (his trainer). If the camps had only punished the adults but not the children (who didn't take part in the second war) than things may have been different.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Patroklos wrote:Looks like shit. Visually that crappy Final Fantasy movie looks better even now 15 years later, but from what I can see even that steaming turd had a more interesting story.
That's not even mentioning Advent Children which is still a decade old now...
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

The trailer makes it sound like Battle for Terra with Orks.

Will the Ork's demonic corruption even be a thing in this movie? Gul'dan? Blackhand? Are they going to be featured? Looks like Doomhammer is in or some guy with a large hammer at least. Eh, probably Blizzard working their retcon magic and once more turning what was once a serviceable background story into nonsensical shit.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer