Fuck you, Hollywood. Just...fuck you.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fuck you, Hollywood. Just...fuck you.

Post by Tsyroc »

Lagmonster wrote:
TheFeniX wrote:Honestly, on the "let's remake old shit front," I think a Big Trouble in Little China remake with Chris Pratt as Burton would work.
I'm going to have to edit this sentence out of your post basically on principle, lest some Hollywood producer see it.

Here's what Hollywood should do, for me personally, that it sucks at: Adapting 30s pulp action/fantasy to film. Just fuck you that you cannot make Lovecraft, Howard, or Burroughs movies that can stand up to anything else in the fantasy genre. Fuck you that there is no noteable Doc Savage movie (Shane Black, do not mess that up). Fuck you that they let a Baldwin near The Shadow. Fuck you that you won't let the master of artistic design, del Toro, near Mountains of Madness. Fuck you that nobody liked John Carter except me.
I liked the Shadow and John Carter. I thought John Carter was a very good adaptation of the book. I do think it suffered from so much of the original material being ripped-off and used in various other popular movies for a long time that it didn't seem as entertaining to a lot of people as it would have if it had come out at a different time.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

When I read the thread title, I was presuming it would be a rant against the terrible "Jem and the Holograms" film adaptation.

THAT is blasphemy.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

The Crow is kind of the perfect franchise to make additional movies for, as the spirit goes from person to person, to help them right a wrong or complete something left unfinished. The error they're making, IMO, is in trying to do a reboot, instead of another story in the chain. Like, how about a period piece - maybe The Crow in the era of the black plague, or during World War I - some other time frame could make for a compelling piece, without needing to sweep away the original.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Hollywood already crapped all over the franchise with the last Crow sequel, Wicked Prayer. It's in pretty much the same situation as the RoboCop and TMNT franchises were before their recent reboots, in that even if the remake sucks, it'll still be a big improvement on the last actual sequel.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Aether wrote:When I read the thread title, I was presuming it would be a rant against the terrible "Jem and the Holograms" film adaptation.

THAT is blasphemy.

When I saw they were making Jem and the Holograms, my first thought was the movie Josie and the Pussycats. I never knew anyone who liked either cartoon enough to warrant making a big movie about them. Was there ever enough nostalgia or fan base for either show to need a film?

Josie and the Pussycats was amusing for how it ripped on the music industry and corporatism but it is not something I would recommend to anyone.

The cartoon Josie was a little before me and Jem was probably a bit too late for me and not to my taste. Not that they would have been targeting teenaged boys with that show anyway.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am pretty sure Jem and the Holograms were targeting girls. I remember seeing a few episodes in between cartoons I really wanted to watch when I was a kid. Now when I was even younger I remembered watching Josie and the Pussycats, which IIRC was a Hanna Barbara cartoons about how the band got lost in outer space. I have the vague impression the cartoon was targeted at either gender because unlike Jem, it wasn't focussed on the music industry per se, but about Josie and the Pussycat's adventures in outer space against robots and all those cool 70s sci fi stuff.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The only thing interesting about the Crow is the fact Brandon Lee died making it (due to a serious of unfortunate events), and they managed to finish it without him using 'advanced editing techniques'. Or whatever shit they were spouting over it.

The only people it really appeals to are either Brandom Lee Fans, 'wanna-be whatevers' without any real talent or drive, as a semi-escapist movie, in the vague hopes someday some offense against them will be avenged. or people with highly questionable taste.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Oh, and it gave Sting a new Gimmick to confront the NWO with.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Solauren wrote:The only people it really appeals to are either Brandom Lee Fans, 'wanna-be whatevers' without any real talent or drive, as a semi-escapist movie, in the vague hopes someday some offense against them will be avenged. or people with highly questionable taste.
To be fair, The Crow did pretty well at the box office, especially when you consider what it cost to make. It had general audience appeal and even women seemed to enjoy it. It also had some extremely tough competition that year. The thing is, it's like a lot of "cult" media: it's not as balls-bustingly awesome as it's hard-core fans make it out to be and you kind of get tired of hearing people talk about how fucking fantastic it was when it was really just a good movie.

It's like Pulp Fiction. Yes, good movie. Yes, interesting storytelling. No, it's not the best movie ever and quit getting angry that I only enjoyed it instead of worshiping it.

Oh man, you guys brought up Jem. My wife went and saw it. Hehe.. hahaha. She won't talk about it. And she wonders why I won't watch Mutant Bay Turtles.