Mythbusters to end in 2016

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Mythbusters to end in 2016

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Source
In 2016, Mythbusters creators Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage will warn viewers not to try this at home for the last time. The duo announced on Wednesday that the Discovery Channel TV series' 14th season, which begins airing January 9, will be its last.

The news came by way of an Entertainment Weekly report, which went live at the same time as the duo's announcement of the "farewell tour" of their long-running Mythbusters Live event series (though Savage will likely continue some form of live-experiment show). EW conducted interviews with both Hyneman and Savage, and the report remarked on the famous animosity between the duo while pointing out that their interviews were conducted separately.

"I think it’s probably safe to say that continuing our on-screen relationship in front of the camera is probably not happening," Hyneman told EW. "I expect Adam may well pursue things in front of the camera, but I’m most likely not." When told about that comment, Savage replied in his own interview, "I would say the same thing. It has been an incredibly productive marriage, but I think this is plausibly the end of the line. Though you never say never." In addition, the duo will continue working together off-camera on a scripted TV series that they're executive producing for CBS.

The interviews touch on the plans for the final season. Savage wasn't willing to divulge what might happen in the final episode, but he said that "we really tried to address... each iconic category [of experiments]" (which EW confirmed will include "blowing up a cement truck with 10,000 pounds of ANFO and crushing a 60-ton train tanker with steam implosion"). Each co-creator offered his own perspective on how the series balanced science and showmanship; not surprisingly, Hyneman expressed a greater struggle with that balance.

"I’m like a race horse attached to a freight wagon," he said.
So, I remember asking the following question in this thread:
Which, of course, begs the question of how much longer "Old guys + smattering of science + Gratuitous Explosions" can carry the show before The Discovery Channel decides to send it off into retirement?
It looks like I now have my answer ...
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Mythbusters to end in 2016

Post by Jub »

It's had a good run and while the end isn't as strong as the beginning I still think it's a one of the more science related shows Discovery has left. Now Discovery will just replace it with the next blue collar job reality show that comes their way.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

That's a bummer to hear, but 13 years is a great run. I haven't watched the show regularly since probably 2008, but I always enjoyed catching it when it was on.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Shame - though it was probably inevitable, I actually think it improved after dropping the trio. The amount of time and detail they took on individual myths (particularly the hardcore 'builds') was more engaging than the antics we'd gotten used to.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

it's kinda trailed off since the cannonball incident, plus they were getting to the point where they've covered most of everything.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?