Today's the day. (Where's my flying car)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Today's the day. (Where's my flying car)

Post by The Infidel »

Tomorrow, everything happening in Back to the future, even when they went to the future, will be in the past.

Stuff they got kinda right.

And stuff they got wrong.

Not to mention this little thing called the Internet...

An old XKCD, but still valid...
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Re: Today's the day. (Where's my flying car)

Post by Channel72 »

They were wrong about mostly everything (except for widely predicted things like video conferencing) unless you allow for certain fringe technologies which technically exist, but are not currently widely available. The two most iconic technologies of the movie, the hoverboard and flying car, simply don't exist, and can't even exist in theory without serious modifications to the way they were portrayed. It's funny that anti-gravity tech is one of the most widely predicted technologies in sci-fi - to the extent that Back to the Future II shows it being used for everyday things like walking your dog - and yet we are so far off from anything remotely close to that - even in theory. I mean, thinking about it... the idea that you could so easily counteract the gravitational pull and space-time curvature exerted by a giant planetary body without some insane source of energy is just... kind of silly, and sci-fi should really stop with that. Or at least show some kind of propulsion like a concentrated jet of air or whatever that lifts the device.

Of course, most of the tech in that movie was designed to create a "wow factor" to the future from the perspective of an 80s teenager. But an actual 80s teenager transported to 2015 wouldn't see that much that's particularly different immediately, other than car designs I guess. The first thing that would stand out would probably be everybody walking around with little electronic "pads" like on Star Trek. But in order to appreciate the advances in technology over the past 30 years, this 80s teenager would need to actually use a mobile phone or computer.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Today's the day. (Where's my flying car)

Post by Jub »

I'm pretty sure they never even tried to be truly predictive with their depiction of 2015. They knew they were going to miss more than they hit so they went for the outlandish and silly. That they hit anything at all just shows that, in some areas, we've outpaced our wildest dreams.