Deutschland 83

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Deutschland 83

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

Recently found out about this show. I think they've done a great job recreating the 80's and manage to have a good laugh here and there whilst still being rather serious as a whole.

Also as a westerner this is a nice, new perspective on your typical Cold War spy drama. Anyone else seen it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4WIfrO0aig
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Deutschland 83

Post by Thanas »

This has so much hype that I fear it will disappoint me.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

I tend to take a skeptical view of hype and go into things expecting disappointment. That way if it actually is terrible I'm not overly disappointed because this is what I expected in the first place, otherwise if its good and its a pleasant surprise.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Interesting period spy thriller for the first few episodes, then it degenerates into an incoherent mess of mercurial, superficial drama and dropped plot threads. The characters all sort of flail around, disconnected from the reality they're supposed to present as they bulldoze through events which appear to lack any real cause or effect. All the interesting relationships and character development built up in the first few episodes is just pissed away with no payoff or meaningful consequence.

In hindsight, it reminds me a lot of Battlestar Galactica.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Interesting. Never heard of this.
Sgt_Artyom
Youngling

Post by Sgt_Artyom »

Just finished it Gaius and I'd have to agree. I'd say that they just rushed through things too fast and the increased pace didn't really do all that well for the show.