Zorro reboot to take place in post-apocalyptic world

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Re: Zorro reboot to take place in post-apocalyptic world

Post by Zeropoint »

Ooh, that's an interesting idea. I don't think I've ever seen a story set after a collapse of government in the PAST.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Zeropoint wrote:Ooh, that's an interesting idea. I don't think I've ever seen a story set after a collapse of government in the PAST.
I'm pretty sure that's because the kind of government where a collapse has a significant effect on people's day-to-day lives is very recent. It's hard to make make it a central plot point unless it's immediately followed up by an invasion or a new, much worse form of government immediately taking over. While a local warlord probably counts, for the average native american or spanish settler I'm not sure they'd notice the difference.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Metahive wrote:
loomer wrote:
You've never read the Postman before, have you?
I actually mentioned the Postman before and no, the protagonist there isn't a "member of establishment by day and vigilante by night"-type guy either. Gordon Krantz defies the Holnists openly and wages war against them with the help of other groups. Nothing Zorro in there.
He is a fraudulent, lying, cheating son-of-a-bitch who happens to ultimately become a folk hero. No part of that is at odds with a comparison to Zorro.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

loomer wrote:
Metahive wrote:
loomer wrote:
You've never read the Postman before, have you?
I actually mentioned the Postman before and no, the protagonist there isn't a "member of establishment by day and vigilante by night"-type guy either. Gordon Krantz defies the Holnists openly and wages war against them with the help of other groups. Nothing Zorro in there.
He is a fraudulent, lying, cheating son-of-a-bitch who happens to ultimately become a folk hero. No part of that is at odds with a comparison to Zorro.
Yeah, nice of you to totally ignore the key-difference here.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Metahive wrote: Yeah, nice of you to totally ignore the key-difference here.
The key difference, as you call it, is actually an insignificant one. The true spirit of Zorro is that he is a vagabond with a heart of gold, fighting the good fight after witnessing too much injustice, too much cruelty - and doing so with his wits. Everything else - being part of the establishment, etc - is window dressing. Krantz takes a little longer to start fighting that fight, but the core is ultimately the same: A good man, pushed to desperate measures by the barbarous world around him, using his wits to try and bring down the source of that barbarism, doing so behind a mask.

Even much of the window dressing is actually very similar, too, because they share archetypal roles. My point in raising the Postman, however, was that the essential struggle against a powerful, tyrannical state by a well-intended brigand can function just fine in post-apocalyptic fiction and has deep roots in that same genre.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Borgholio wrote:I'm going to go back and watch two REAL Zorro movies this weekend. The Mask of Zorro, and Zorro the Gay Blade.
Have you ever seen the old 1940 Black-And-White flick? it's pretty good. Oh and then there's the anime.
loomer wrote: The key difference, as you call it, is actually an insignificant one. The true spirit of Zorro is that he is a vagabond with a heart of gold, fighting the good fight after witnessing too much injustice, too much cruelty - and doing so with his wits. Everything else - being part of the establishment, etc - is window dressing. Krantz takes a little longer to start fighting that fight, but the core is ultimately the same: A good man, pushed to desperate measures by the barbarous world around him, using his wits to try and bring down the source of that barbarism, doing so behind a mask.

Even much of the window dressing is actually very similar, too, because they share archetypal roles. My point in raising the Postman, however, was that the essential struggle against a powerful, tyrannical state by a well-intended brigand can function just fine in post-apocalyptic fiction and has deep roots in that same genre.
Zorro was never a vagabond. He's always been a California nobleman. Literally the prototype Bruce Wayne.

Oh, and in other news, Sony is gonna do their own Zorro movie. This one will be a crossover with Django Unchained. Tarantino's already done it in comic form, too.

http://www.businessinsider.com/django-u ... ie-2014-12
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

loomer wrote:
Metahive wrote: Yeah, nice of you to totally ignore the key-difference here.
The key difference, as you call it, is actually an insignificant one. The true spirit of Zorro is that he is a vagabond with a heart of gold, fighting the good fight after witnessing too much injustice, too much cruelty - and doing so with his wits. Everything else - being part of the establishment, etc - is window dressing. Krantz takes a little longer to start fighting that fight, but the core is ultimately the same: A good man, pushed to desperate measures by the barbarous world around him, using his wits to try and bring down the source of that barbarism, doing so behind a mask.

That "insignificant window dressing" as you call it is what makes this character distinct though. It's what makes lots of characters distinct, so that you don't confuse a Robin Hood for a Zorro for a Scarlet Pimpernel. Literally you could describe thousands of fictional characters as "person who witnesses too much injustice and fights against it using his wits," which is to say you're really describing none of them. It's no different than using the word "car" to describe both a Ford Mustang and a Ford Pinto: yes both technically are cars, but there are significant differences in how these two were built and function, and if you're trying to sell someone one of those cars when they think they're getting the other, they're rightly going to be a bit upset.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Maybe it's just me, but I actually don't see there being that much difference between the three you raise. The window dressing is different, but the core - the 'spirit' that we're arguing about - is quintessentially the same.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thing is, many of these characters are similar. The differences between Batman, Zorro, and the Scarlet Pimpernel are mostly in the costume choice and the motivation for fighting.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

loomer wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I actually don't see there being that much difference between the three you raise. The window dressing is different, but the core - the 'spirit' that we're arguing about - is quintessentially the same.
If you distill a character's core "spirit" down into the most generic of definitions, what you get are generic characters. You also get useless definitions, at least when it comes to making distinctions: you could accurately call an Mi-24 Hind and an AH-64 Apache "attack helicopters" and act as though they are essentially the same thing, but everything from the way they're built to the way they go about their mission gives the lie to this idea. Put another way, you could have two characters who both "witness the weak being preyed upon by the strong and is inspired to fight on their behalf." When described in such generic terms, they might as well be the same character. Until you get to the "window dressing" as you call it and realize one is fighting, say, against an authoritarian regime which is robbing poor rural peasants blind, and one is a member of an authoritarian regime who is trying to bring down an organized terrorist cell whose attacks against the regime are killing civilians with reckless disregard. If the two suddenly switched places, would they just automatically take up their counterpart's fight as their own?
Simon_Jester wrote:Thing is, many of these characters are similar. The differences between Batman, Zorro, and the Scarlet Pimpernel are mostly in the costume choice and the motivation for fighting.
You act as though motivation is not one of the most important defining aspects of a character. What motivates a character to act heroic in one context might not cause them to act heroic in another.
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Motivation is critical- but is not all, and should not prevent us from drawing analogies between characters and recognizing the similarities that are there. Or from imagining that we might alter one aspect of a character's story, while leaving others valid, intact, and appealing.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Chimaera wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
Are mass deaths and low population counts needed for an apocalypse?
Take Terminator for example. You see burned out buildings, nuked highways, and piles of human skulls everywhere. That's pretty much the epitome of what an apocalypse should look like.
Personally the movie The Road had the bleakest, most desperate, "oh god there is no hope left" shitfest of a post-apocalyptic world I've ever seen put to film. Great movie, but depressing as hell.

I remember feeling vaguley disappointed that Viggo mortensens character had missed several opportunities to REALLY stretch out and make some emotional impacts, but the writers wimped out at the last second.

#1 feeling all broken up over the wife, she was a terrible person and her suicide shouldn't have merited a second thought, or better yet, she should have dies with some damn dignity instead

#2 after finding the stuff in the bunker his son asks him to pray and he thanks "people" rather than "God," when it is totally obvious that "people" are the ones responsible for putting them in the situation in the 1st place!

Cowards.
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Metahive wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Hmmm... an excuse to cast a Hispanic, Latin, or Spaniard in the lead role?

Not that Hollywood is guaranteed to do that, far too many white guys in other-ethnic roles over the roles. But hey, it's an excuse that fits, right?
After The Last Airbender and The Lone Ranger and their racelifting shenanigans I think this is probably the last reason they'd use the this specific property.

Why would this be wrong then? They had a Idris Elba playing an Asgardian etc.

#wrongskin
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Simon_Jester wrote:Motivation is critical- but is not all, and should not prevent us from drawing analogies between characters and recognizing the similarities that are there. Or from imagining that we might alter one aspect of a character's story, while leaving others valid, intact, and appealing.
There's a difference between drawing analogies between characters and arguing that, because superficially two characters are the same, then you could have them swap places and they would retain everything which made them them and which people liked about those characters.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It is well that I am not asserting the latter, then.

What I am asserting is that there may well be settings that the character Zorro can work in that, in some sense, are "post-apocalyptic" enough that a random reporter will call them post-apocalyptic. Because most of the things that make Zorro Zorro translate just fine into a post-apocalyptic environment. A few things do not. But either they might be modified without destroying the character, or they might be kept the same in some post-apocalyptic environment whose exact nature is unknown to us.