181 miliion dollars of cocaine on sub

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

181 miliion dollars of cocaine on sub

Post by dragon »

8 friggin tons
wow I knew that they smuggled drugs on subs but didn't know they could smuggle that much.
(CNN)The U.S. Coast Guard seized 12,000 pounds of cocaine worth an estimated $181 million when it intercepted a semi-submersible vessel in the eastern Pacific Ocean last month.

The 40-foot long homemade vessel was spotted July 18 by a U.S. Navy aircraft, which called the crew of the Coast Guard cutter Stratton to a spot 200 miles south of Mexico, the military organization said.

Six tons of cocaine were removed while two tons were left on the sub to help balance it as the Stratton tried to tow it to shore.

But the homemade vessel took on water and sank. It went down in 13,000 feet of water in international waters.

The Coast Guard said the bust was the largest ever semi-submersible interdiction in its history and it was the first time one of its ships had recovered two subs on one patrol. The California-based Stratton also seized 5,400 pounds of cocaine in June.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Re: 181 miliion dollars of cocaine on sub

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

The fish down there must be having a hell of a time.

I'm sorry, but there's quite simply no serious response that can be given to this. That is a lot of cocaine.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Bah this isn't a real sub, or even it appears a proper semi submersible with a high snorkel. Just a low profile boat. So far only one real drug sub is thought to exist, and while its been detected snorkling once or twice its yet to be caught.

Overall is how a lot of cocaine smuggling works these days now that so much is based on semi submersibles. The drug product is not that expensive outside of a western country, so you make each shipment huge so if even one gets through its a massive profit and more then enough to cover the cost of the smuggling craft and failed attempts. What's more by using the sea route these craft can actually leave from bases in Columbia or other states south of Mexico, bypassing the high costs of smuggling through Mexico and it's web of cartels which intensively fight each other over the traffic they do get.

Not just into the US either, this actually got started off Europe and the designs are based off North Korean vessels which may have at times moved meth and heroin into Japan. With world cocaine production in the tune of ~250 tons its not unreasonable to have multiple tons per vessel.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:The fish down there must be having a hell of a time.

I'm sorry, but there's quite simply no serious response that can be given to this. That is a lot of cocaine.
Acceptable losses and economy of scale aside, it really is kind of a lot of blow. I gave the stuff up years ago and I'm still kind of suspecting that I might have a dream about skiing on it tonight. I'm picturing Arm & Hammer's entire marketing department face-palming about the revised projections for next quarter right now.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker