'The Sixth Sense' Ripped Off An 'Are You Afraid of the Dark'

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

'The Sixth Sense' Ripped Off An 'Are You Afraid of the Dark'

Post by amigocabal »

http://www.bustle.com/articles/34374-th ... -heres-the
Kayleigh Roberts wrote:So, submitted for the approval of the Bustle society, The Tale of How M. Night Shyamalan Ripped Off Afraid of the Dark.

The Premise: Johnny and Erica are super close siblings. They hang out a ton and even work at the same bowling alley. Erica is a waitress and Johnny is the maintenance guy. Everything seems just peachy until Johnny finds a girl's class ring in his work locker, tries it on and it realizes it's stuck. Along with the ring comes visions of a beautiful girl named Donna who keeps calling to Johnny in very ghostly ways. At little research proves that she is a ghost - a teenage girl who died in a car accident with her boyfriend and she seems to have a thing for Johnny.
Click here for the complete story...
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: 'The Sixth Sense' Ripped Off An 'Are You Afraid of the D

Post by Executor32 »

It's a pretty common and old trope, actually. If one is to accuse The Sixth Sense of ripping off "The Tale of the Dream Girl" for using the 'ghost doesn't know it's a ghost' variant of it, one might as well accuse the latter of ripping off The Ghost Next Door from the Goosebumps book series, which was published nearly a year earlier.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

There's lots and lots of media out there (movies, books, TV, games, whatever) that take old concepts and re-use them. Perhaps not intentionally-- quite possibly even more than half the time it's purely either unconscious or coincidental-- but the fact is there aren't that many new ideas out there as far as genre storytelling goes.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I strongly suspect that most of the basic stock tropes of ghost stories have been rattling around for thousands of years, so yeah.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Simon_Jester wrote:I strongly suspect that most of the basic stock tropes of ghost stories have been rattling around for thousands of years, so yeah.
Human psychology does show that *in general* most people have vaguely similar mental operations. As such, certain situations will generally invoke certain responses. Take your usual slasher movie-- it's night, the villain is masked, sneaks up on people in creative ways, all that.

Or humor. At least in the Western world (I honestly don't know how well the concepts translate in the East or in Africa) there have been jokes about wives, mothers in law, mothers in general, penises, deities, and various iterations of property for millennia. The Bible has a crack where one king declares his piece is bigger than his father's, and another king makes a direct reference to his opponent's mother (though the KJV translation loses a lot of its punch)... In a way, it's really a rather fascinating phenomenon.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

so what you're saying is that they've been making "yo momma!" jokes since the biblical times at least?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:so what you're saying is that they've been making "yo momma!" jokes since the biblical times at least?
Pretty much. If you think about it, makes sense; people are (usually) reasonably close to their parents, and as such insulting them would hit a little close to home. Perhaps it would in fact hit home, given that people often lived in multi-generational households... so you get the idea.

EDIT: Also, because I really can't pass this up: If you want to check, you could always ask your mom :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lord Revan wrote:so what you're saying is that they've been making "yo momma!" jokes since the biblical times at least?
At least since the middle ages, yeah.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Thanas wrote:
At least since the middle ages, yeah.

Especially considering all those Vile Scotsmen out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CsMPqJR6A
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"