Atticus Finch is a racist (Go Set A Watchman controversy)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Re: Atticus Finch is a racist (Go Set A Watchman controversy

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Because Tom dies in To Kill A Mockingbird. Shot trying to escape, as I recall.
Correct.
amigocabal wrote: Similar to what happened to Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park?
... what?
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Book Malcolm dies at the end, help doesn't arrive in time.
And then he's magically brought back for Lost World with some throwaway line explaining away his mis-reported death.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Darth Nostril wrote:Book Malcolm dies at the end, help doesn't arrive in time.
And then he's magically brought back for Lost World with some throwaway line explaining away his mis-reported death.
We should note that Watchman was written before Mockingbird.

Of course, there are plenty of in-universe explanations as to why Tom Robinson was reported dead even if he really did not die.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I had an interesting insight reading the book, actually, when i was younger I read To Kill A Mockingbird and it was kind of my introduction to what racial injustice meant in context. Atticus was kind off the guy i looked up to because he seemed like a fatherly figure who was trying to do what was right and standing up for injustice.

Reading Go Set A Watchman I kind of had to get it into my head that he wasn't really the father figure in this, he wasn't the perfect embodiment of right and wrong, and humble working class, he gave one impression from the viewpoint of a child, but as an adult, he wasn't as cut and dry at all.

So the insight I had in today's context, is that the real challenge facing us today, is intergenerational, more than anything else. All the resistance to gay rights, the call for reforms in immigration, and incarceration, I don't see the same people in the room on those. I work with people who walked with Martin Luther King... and they don't like hispanics or asians, or, I work with people fighting for recognition of same sex marriage for decades and...they don't like illegal immigrants. I think a generation is the product of it's time, and we have more active and involved generations now than ever before, thanks to improvements in healthcare, quality of life, etc.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Darth Nostril wrote:Book Malcolm dies at the end, help doesn't arrive in time.
I know that, I just didn't see the connection with Tom. I thought he was saying that Malcolm was shot trying to escape, which didn't make any sense.