Living in Milton Keynes, UK ?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Raesene
Jedi Master

Living in Milton Keynes, UK ?

Post by Raesene »

The company I'm working for has a job offer for Milton Keynes on its website that would interest me.
But before jumping into the process and afterwards finding out the hard way that the town is one best avoided I'd thought about asking my fellow members here for their opinion and information.
Maybe I'm lucky and someone here knows it and can provide some info on housing situation (prices for flats), cost of living, public transportation systems, climate, entertainments available, other things to do and see, etc.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Living in Milton Keynes, UK ?

Post by madd0ct0r »

Note for Americans and other aliens: Milton Keynes is a new city
approximately halfway between London and Birmingham. It was built to be
modern, efficient, healthy, and, all in all, a pleasant place to live.
Many Britons find this amusing." -- T.Pratchett and N.Gaiman, Good Omens
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

and since that may not be very useful - it's a new city, so focus on the car, lots of underpasses, lots of green space. Less artificial then it used to feel now it's had 40+ years to mellow and for the trees to grow. It's nice, which is as much an insult as a compliment.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

madd0ct0r wrote:
Note for Americans and other aliens: Milton Keynes is a new city
approximately halfway between London and Birmingham. It was built to be
modern, efficient, healthy, and, all in all, a pleasant place to live.
Many Britons find this amusing." -- T.Pratchett and N.Gaiman, Good Omens
It is the most Un-English part of England I've ever been to. The city centre is built from scratch so has no history or anything culturally interesting about it from what I could see.

The outlying areas are better - the greater MK area has incorporated some fairly old villages into it. However most of these are again dominated by bland new build homes. Transport links into London are good though. Ready access to mainline into Euston and on the doorstep of the M1 motorway.

Entertainments seem to be mostly on dedicated sites away from the centre (unlike other towns/cities where the pubs clubs are in the middle). Admittedly we're talking 15 years ago, but there were simply no pubs at all in MK Centre. The old villages I mentioned do have pubs though - some nice old ones too.

They now have a football team which was stolen from Wimbledon in south London (the only example of a franchise move in domestic football in England and it still rankles). They are in the third tier of the league so are an OK standard.

Check out sites like 'Find a Property' for accommodation.

It's not a city I particularly like, but I have friends who are very happy living there. Horses for courses I guess.
What is WRONG with you people
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Hillary wrote:The city centre is built from scratch so has no history or anything culturally interesting about it from what I could see.
The grade II listed shopping centre is an icon of mid 20th century design, one of the last and most successful new urbanist planned town centres; the New Towns movement was an significant part of 20th century British history and cultural evolution. You may have some arbitrary snobbish aging period before you can consider anything 'culture', but the fact is that every single 'culturally significant' building was at some point a contraversial new build decried by nay-sayers muttering 'they don't build them like they used to'.

* Personally I always found the Metro Centre Gateshead interesting to visit as a kind of pinnacle of 1980s consumerism; the heavily themed spaces (originally with strong and somewhat fanciful shared design cues) targetted a total albeit retail-focused experience. Later malls backed away from that, cost-reducing themselves into power centers and then starting to die off entirely as retail moved online.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I worked there for 4 years... its a pretty pleasant place, much nicer than many similar towns - quite affluent with good infrastructure, leisure facilities and job opportunities - I never really liked the nightlife, the dominance of the car means you lack that pedestrianised strips of bars you usually get - but that might be because I was in the wrong areas... I only worked there, not lived. The shopping good as well. Obviously because its new it lacks the culture/history of most English towns but thats not exactly a bad thing, it means the streets are all well laid out and buildings all neat and fit for purpose.

There are a few rough areas as with most places, the apartments nearest to the town centre are to be avoided but no where near as bad as similar sink estates.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Starglider wrote:
Hillary wrote:The city centre is built from scratch so has no history or anything culturally interesting about it from what I could see.
The grade II listed shopping centre is an icon of mid 20th century design, one of the last and most successful new urbanist planned town centres; the New Towns movement was an significant part of 20th century British history and cultural evolution. You may have some arbitrary snobbish aging period before you can consider anything 'culture', but the fact is that every single 'culturally significant' building was at some point a contraversial new build decried by nay-sayers muttering 'they don't build them like they used to'.
Had I actually put forward this opinion, you would have been right to take issue with it.

I like modern architecture but I don't happen to like MK's shopping centre at all - I think it's very uninspiring. Yes the concept of the New Towns movement may be interesting - the execution of it, however, leaves much to be desired in my opinion.
What is WRONG with you people
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

It does have a Krispy Kreme, though, so it's got that going for it.

And if you do end up there, take a look at The Point, if it hasn't been bulldozed yet. It's the first true multiplex cinema in the UK, and its architecture is... Well, it's striking and memorable even if it's a bit on the tacky side.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Sounds like it's not a bad place but also not a very good place to live.

I'm still thinking about applying for the job, but I'm not really ready to give up Vienna completely... difficult decision ahead...

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

A general rule of thumb is that if you get a chance to live in a different country, do so!

Not a Red Bull job is it? Biggest bunch Of Austrian's in the area ;)
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Thank you to all who answered - someone else got that position. But as a consolation price from fate I might get a dog sooner than planned :-)

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

It doesn't look all that different from the typical American suburb, after checking it out on Google Maps.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."