Zor
Sith Acolyte

Panther Tank found in German Cellar

Post by Zor »

Link to news article

Holy Shit. :shock:

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Panther Tank found in German Cellar

Post by madd0ct0r »

The mayor was not prepared to pass judgement on the villa owner, who is said to be in his 70s.

"Some people like steam trains, others like tanks,“ he pointed out.
Good man!
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

As a member of a now dead conspiracy of similar war memorabilia I sympathies with this guy. We like tanks, we all enjoy the momentary flight of fancy that comes with the idea of owning a sixty ton war machine with which to have fun in... even if it is nothing more than driving it around twice a year. Some of us however are much more willing to go to extreme lengths to acquire such items and then put them up in the Den because damn if that's not a conversation starter.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

If the weapons were inoperable I don't think they should have taken the tank away from him. At the very least they need to compensate the poor guy for his relic that judging by pictures he took damn good care of.

I also hope the government isn't stupid enough to just destroy the tank.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Joun_Lord wrote:I also hope the government isn't stupid enough to just destroy the tank.
I can offhand think of at least four german museums who are now probably racing to confirm their interest in the things.

Though this takes the cake:
And for the mayor of Heikendorf, Alexander Orth, the find also came as no surprise.

"He was chugging around in that thing during the snow catastrophe in 1978,“ Orth told SZ.

The mayor was not prepared to pass judgement on the villa owner, who is said to be in his 70s.
"Who's that?"
"Oh that is just Heinrich with his Tank."
"...."
"Don't mind him, he is just clearing the snow".

Also, the guy had a full 88. Geez.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is related to Meister Röhrich.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

As far as I know, if the weapons are properly demilitarized, it would be legal to own, but...

That would have needed to be done by the government, and he (and the government) should have documentation on that. Also, usually, such war machinery is considered national property, no matter who found it, so he would need to provide documentation of purchase from Germany, or else it is considered stolen.

tl;dr. He probably found it somewhere and hid it from the authorities, ignoring that it is state property. It will find it's way into a museum.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

That's one big damn cellar.

Also, it's kinda strange that this comes up now, and not after that Snow Catastrophe in 78 when people, y'know, saw him driving the damn thing.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:That's one big damn cellar.

Also, it's kinda strange that this comes up now, and not after that Snow Catastrophe in 78 when people, y'know, saw him driving the damn thing.
They had better things to do, and he was helping - after him, the road was probably clean enough for others to drive.

Also, rural Germans tend to assume that people doing huge, obvious things do have permission to do it.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

LaCroix wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:That's one big damn cellar.

They had better things to do, and he was helping - after him, the road was probably clean enough for others to drive.

Also, rural Germans tend to assume that people doing huge, obvious things do have permission to do it.
He also apparently helped local farmers with plowing fields, though I question if the field would be any good after you drive a tank over it.

But c'mon - when you see your neighbour driving around with this:
You should get kinda curious.

And according to an expert, the thing wasn't demilitarized properly anyway.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also, the guy had a full V1. Holy crap.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

well if it was a sufficiently small/isolated place the word might have not travelled that far in the late 70s (and that's assuming it was in the West Germany).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I wonder who reported him anyway. I mean, I know I wouldn't report him unless he fired on my car or something.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Purple wrote:I wonder who reported him anyway. I mean, I know I wouldn't report him unless he fired on my car or something.
The article mentions they were searching dudes place for stolen Nazi art, they must have found the tank and other things.

I do wonder what led to them searching the guys place for stolen art in the first place. Its unlikely the Germans would just search random villas for stolen Nazi stuff so someone might have given them a tip about something there, though the article doesn't mention them finding anything in the first search.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thanas wrote: Also, the guy had a full 88. Geez.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is related to Meister Röhrich.
Meh, we had a 88, Flakvierling, a Bofors and fourteen tanks not to mention associated staff cars and equipment and that was just two fellows in rural Indiana.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Interesting; by coincidence, tonight I've just watched the "Nazi Megastructures" episode on German tanks. All the way from the Panzer I to the Maus with a brief diversion into why the Landkreuzer was such an unworkable idea.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Thanas wrote: He also apparently helped local farmers with plowing fields, though I question if the field would be any good after you drive a tank over it.
That's where the very smooth ground pressure curve produced by the interwoven road wheels would work out awesome. Just hope an inner one doesn't break.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

LaCroix wrote:Also, usually, such war machinery is considered national property, no matter who found it, so he would need to provide documentation of purchase from Germany, or else it is considered stolen.

tl;dr. He probably found it somewhere and hid it from the authorities, ignoring that it is state property. It will find it's way into a museum.
The German government has no legitimate claim to it, as far as I can see. It was the property of Nazi Germany, and post-war Germany would not have been permitted to inherit it from their predecessors even if it had not been stolen. If anyone has a claim to it, it would be someone like the French or American government.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Grumman wrote:
LaCroix wrote:Also, usually, such war machinery is considered national property, no matter who found it, so he would need to provide documentation of purchase from Germany, or else it is considered stolen.

The German government has no legitimate claim to it, as far as I can see. It was the property of Nazi Germany, and post-war Germany would not have been permitted to inherit it from their predecessors even if it had not been stolen. If anyone has a claim to it, it would be someone like the French or American government.
Nope.

Germany was the legal successor of Nazi Germany (that's why you could demand war concessions and reperations from them) - thus everything Nazi Germany owned was now property of the German Republic, unless one of the Allied Nations had claimed it as spoils of war.

Also, it is illegal for a citizen to posess war machinery that hasn't been officially demilitarized - thus, the man cannot claim usucapion, as the prerequesite of him being legally able to hold posession of that item is missing. Thus, he can't get legal ownership that way.

AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

*googles*
Bit more detail there:
http://www.tagesspiegel.de/weltspiegel/ ... 01682.html
And there:
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/weltkrie ... 47491.html
-the original search was prompted by a statue in his garden - according to his lawyer, it's just a copy, not the missing original.
-he says the tank was imported from the UK
-there's supposed to be a demilling certificate from 2005