Inside Out

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Inside Out

Post by CaptHawkeye »

What a beautifully abstract and artistic movie. The best i've seen from Pixar since Up. I was worried the decline had finally begun after Monster's University and Cars 2 had been such sore disappointments. Not after this movie though, no way. Again it took Pixar's wild card Pete Doctor to whip up something really clever and unexpected.

What really gets me is how the movie is so complex in its plot structure, i'm sure it must have been a very hard movie to write. Like several whole rewrites hard. It would have been very easy to do things wrong, like portray Joy as a two dimensional simpleton, Riley as an unrelatable angsty child, and Bing Bong as Jar Jar Binks. Instead they honed what could've been a huge mess into a massively impressive display of art and creativity. A movie that incorporates elements of sci fi and fantasy yet fits in neither. Their were many, many moments in the movie where I was utterly moved in ways I hadn't been in years between both the visuals and narrative. This was a very smart movie, i'm perhaps worried that it may even have been above some of the youngest members of the audience.

Who else has seen it and what did you think? I don't universally love every one of Pixar's movies but they consistently kick one out every few years or so that is just amazing. This was one of them.
Best care anywhere.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Re: Inside Out

Post by InsaneTD »

Definitely an amazing movie. I wasn't overly interested in seeing but my girlfriend dragged my along (read needed a lift for her and a friend, and paid for everything). I really rather enjoyed it. Bing bong did sorry of annoy me to be honest. They did do an excellent job with the characters and story.

Plus, the cat at the end, so accurate.

P.S. The short before the movie, Lava, such a terrible pun but such a great story.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

News and Politics?

Why?

Moved.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Was sure I was in off topic for some reason. :lol: Thanks Thanas.
Best care anywhere.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I dunno. The movie bored me silly. It felt like one of those Disney teenage dramas I loathed. Pacing was slow etc. etc. First Pixar movie that made me walk out of the theater midway.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

InsaneTD wrote:Definitely an amazing movie. I wasn't overly interested in seeing but my girlfriend dragged my along (read needed a lift for her and a friend, and paid for everything). I really rather enjoyed it. Bing bong did sorry of annoy me to be honest. They did do an excellent job with the characters and story.
Bing Bong wouldn't have been too believable to me as a little girl's imaginary friend if he wasn't the slightest bit grating. :lol:
Spoiler
In reality he was a critical character to the story, cloaked under the veil of a character you're encouraged to write off as background scenery. Matt Zoller Seitz on Roger Ebert described his importance in a really great way though. That he's just so devoted to Riley he's accepted his lot as an obsolete part of her life. He wants so much to see her happy that he continues to serve her. The emotional Ronin of positivity who continues to serve the Lord who released him years ago. I watched the movie and felt the honor of his character. He treated being Riley's imaginary friend long ago as a job of the highest calling. What more he believes he still has a solemn duty to her. His devotion shined out to me through his goofy exterior.
Best care anywhere.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

When it came to Bing Bong,
Spoiler
my friends and I felt fear that he was going to be the villain, and was going to try and take over Riley's body so that he could live again.. His eventual fate as sacrificing himself for the good of Riley was rather touching.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Spoiler
I was also convinced that Bing Bong was Lotso 2.0. Pixar likes to center plot twists around sudden unveiling of villains a lot. Not everyone of their films have needed villains though and Inside Out certainly didnt. Nemo didn't and i think that film was stronger for it. They let their characters develop drama merely through their interactions with eachother and the world. Its the characters they make that really propel their movies.

In this film Joy's dilemma is what really grabbed me. Shes unable to let go of Riley's childhood but wants only the best for her. She is unable to realize this until she finally has a breakdown of her own. It took her own Sadness to see the value of Riley's. That Sadness isn't baggage she has to lug around but a critical part of maintaining relationships with others.
Best care anywhere.