OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Stephen Fry in America

Post by Thanas »

Watch it and the others and enjoy it. :wink:

Though he's definitely been infected with something when he says that Washington D.C. could stand alongside Paris.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Re: Stephen Fry in America

Post by Channel72 »

Atlantic City is so depressing
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Legalized gambling in other states killed AC almost overnight. It was fascinating and horrifying to watch.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

That, and online gambling. Ads and billboards for online gambling on your tablet/phone/etc. have popped up all over New Jersey all of a sudden.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I saw this on Netflix about a year ago. It was rather enjoyable. Big problem with the show is that he sums up an entire state with one small facet of it, missing out on a huge chunk of the culture of each state. I get that he is doing about 10 states per hour, so he has to skim a lot, but it creates a rather in-complete picture. It would be like a documentary crew going to Germany, and spending their entire time there inspecting a beer factory, and then moving onto France for a ten minute segment on a bakery.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

FaxModem1 wrote:I saw this on Netflix about a year ago. It was rather enjoyable. Big problem with the show is that he sums up an entire state with one small facet of it, missing out on a huge chunk of the culture of each state. I get that he is doing about 10 states per hour, so he has to skim a lot, but it creates a rather in-complete picture. It would be like a documentary crew going to Germany, and spending their entire time there inspecting a beer factory, and then moving onto France for a ten minute segment on a bakery.
So like almost every documentary ever?
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Hmmm...Stephen Fry talking to Morgan Freeman. Awesome.

Also, I know that "body farm" from the second episode does important work, but there is something viscerally wrong about seeing a human body left to decompose in a rubbish bin. Glad I ate dinner before I reached that part.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Hmmm...Stephen Fry talking to Morgan Freeman. Awesome.

Also, I know that "body farm" from the second episode does important work, but there is something viscerally wrong about seeing a human body left to decompose in a rubbish bin. Glad I ate dinner before I reached that part.
I will be honest. I love body farms. And the thing is, the bodies there are all volunteers. Most of them bequeath their bodies specifically to the body farm, so that is exactly how they want their body disposed of. Fully incorporated into the food web, returning the nutrients they are composed of back into the detritivore food web, and from there to the rest of the ecosystem. Something embalming does not permit. There is a beauty in that, even if maggots are disgusting (though having spent two years raising blow flies, I have come to find them endearing. But my standards of cute are somewhat warped compared to others)
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Hmmm...Stephen Fry talking to Morgan Freeman. Awesome.

I will be honest. I love body farms. And the thing is, the bodies there are all volunteers. Most of them bequeath their bodies specifically to the body farm, so that is exactly how they want their body disposed of. Fully incorporated into the food web, returning the nutrients they are composed of back into the detritivore food web, and from there to the rest of the ecosystem. Something embalming does not permit. There is a beauty in that, even if maggots are disgusting (though having spent two years raising blow flies, I have come to find them endearing. But my standards of cute are somewhat warped compared to others)
I can fully understand that on an intellectual level, and I can even appreciate the, well, natural beauty I suppose is the best term. But on a gut level? It just doesn't feel right.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Thanas wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:I saw this on Netflix about a year ago. It was rather enjoyable. Big problem with the show is that he sums up an entire state with one small facet of it, missing out on a huge chunk of the culture of each state. I get that he is doing about 10 states per hour, so he has to skim a lot, but it creates a rather in-complete picture. It would be like a documentary crew going to Germany, and spending their entire time there inspecting a beer factory, and then moving onto France for a ten minute segment on a bakery.
So like almost every documentary ever?
Quite. But I'm curious how many English and Europeans who saw this thought that each state was confined to what the documentary showed.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

FaxModem1 wrote:Quite. But I'm curious how many English and Europeans who saw this thought that each state was confined to what the documentary showed.
Whatever. Even Americans mostly assume Maine is nothing but lobster boats anyway and New York is a bunch of fat Italian guys talking about mob flicks or something.
Thanas wrote:Though he's definitely been infected with something when he says that Washington D.C. could stand alongside Paris.
Honestly, apart from New York and Chicago, most American cities are pretty bland, architecturally speaking. DC has some beautiful buildings, monuments and museums, but it's mostly just random suburbs, nothing like Paris or Rome.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Mississippi episode is heartbreaking in the Katrina segments.
------------
------------
My LPs