RIP: James Horner (composer)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

RIP: James Horner (composer)

Post by Alyeska »

Composer James Horner appears to have died in a plane crash last night. He is the listed owner of the plane.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/living/fe ... ane-crash/

James Horner is one of my favorite composers from Hollywood. He has created some incredible music over the years. He ranks up there with John Williams in my book. Some of my earliest memories of his work are from Star Trek 2 and Star Trek 3.

Battle in the Mutara Nebula, and Stealing the Enterprise. The music really helped sell the scenes. But he also composed movies like Aliens, Apollo 13, Titanic, and Glory.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: RIP: James Horner (composer)

Post by Borgholio »

Fucking hell.

Edit - *double fuck* Need to better learn my composers...
Last edited by Borgholio on 2015-06-23 02:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Borgholio, I think you got the wrong soundtrack - Jurassic Park's was created by John Williams.

That's one of his works.

That got him an Oscar...
Last edited by Raesene on 2015-06-23 02:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sad new, I admire his work.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Some very fine work from him over the years. I particularly admire his work for Star Trek and Aliens.

Rest in peace.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

He was the composer whose work led me to start collecting soundtracks, although I still had to wait many years for his complete collections to come out, such as my favorites, Star Trek II and III, Krull, and Aliens. I will miss him. May his music inspire countless generations to come.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

His score for Wrath of Kahn really is magnificent.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

RIP
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Stealing the Enterprise was one of the best BGMs ever, by itself it was 50% of one of the most dramatic scenes in any of the movies. The guy had a real knack for tones of adventurism and excitement in his music. I'm really sad to hear he's gone now.
Best care anywhere.