Milan Expo 2015- National Stereotype Extravaganza!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Milan Expo 2015- National Stereotype Extravaganza!

Post by fgalkin »

(aka My New Blog).

On the first weekend of June 2015, I have travelled to Milan and visited the Expo 2015. This has finally prompted me to start a blog, where I will be posting about my general impressions, as well as my reviews of the individual national pavilions. Come join me for a journey into the bizarre, as I document a modern World’s Fair, an atavistic perpetuation of a 19th Century nationalist tradition that somehow lasted to this day (yes, even more than in the Olympics).

What the hell is Expo 2015?

It’s a real, live, honest-to-God World’s Fair.

A World’s Fair is a kind of large exhibition that came out of the Industrial Revolution as a means to showcase developments in science and technology. Their origins lie in Medieval agricultural fairs, except rather than showing the latest and the greatest in pre-Industrial crop techniques, they were showing all the cool new developments in technology. France started it in the late 18th century, but it were the British, who in 1851 had the brilliant idea that they could have a technology fair…..for the whole world.

Since then, World Fairs had been held at more-or-less regular intervals of 5 to 10 years, moving from city to city. In 1928, the Bureau of International Expositions was created to introduce a touch of much-needed corruption and bureaucracy to the whole thing.

During that time, the various Worlds’ Fairs showcased inventions like the telephone (1876), the fluorescent lamp (1893), the Ferris wheel and the escalator (1900), the X-Ray machine (1901) and IMAX (1974). They featured innovative entertainment like the Paris Summer Olympics of 1900, and the assassination of US President William McKinley. Occasionally, they’ve bankrupted the cities they were held in (Seville, 1992), but they’ve also left behind some permanent structures, some of which might be familiar to you:

An oil tower (1889):

A Martian Tripod (1962):

A beachball skeleton held up by fountains (1964):
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ushing.jpg

And the mangled corpse of Lady Liberty (1878):

This Expo, thus, has big shoes to fill, especially coming on the heels of the last major one, which took place in Shanghai in 2010 and looked like this:

The theme of the Expo is, “Feeding the Planet. Energy For Life,” thus making it, ironically, the world’s largest and most expensive agricultural fair (and coming full circle to its origins). Except rather than showcasing the largest turnips, they are focused on sustainable agriculture for the future, with a motto of “Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life.” Naturally, important promoters of sustainable agriculture like McDonald’s and Coca-Cola are sponsors.

The Expo itself had some trouble coming into existence. Being a large international event, and held in Italy, no less, it had faced the typical levels of corruption (seven ministers and senior managers were arrested for bribery), which led to budget overruns (it ballooned to around €13bn) and construction delays (to the point that €3m has had to be spent on building camouflage structures to hide the unfinished pavilions for the opening), and, of course, violent protests on opening day. Typical stuff, in other words. If you would like to know more, Oliver Wainwright of the Guardian has an excellent article on the tale of woe that was the road to the Expo [ur=http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/ ... ravaganzal]here[/url]. (Seriously, read it, it’s good).
That said, they had manage to cover up all the problems quite well, so not only were most people there ignorant of the problems, it was actually a lot of fun, and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the experience (and might come back again).

Read more here, because posting photos individually to the board is a pain in the ass.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Last edited by fgalkin on 2015-06-15 04:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Re: Milan Expo 2015- National Stereotype Extravaganza!

Post by Raesene »

I must admit I didn't even notice (or forgot after reading the articles about it) that there's an expo this year, much less that Austria participates.

But good to know we are appreciated ;-)
Last edited by Raesene on 2015-06-13 02:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

I'll be posting a review of the Austrian pavillion, along with all the others I've visited at some point in the near future.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Do the Swiss have a pavilion? How does it look?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Purple wrote:Do the Swiss have a pavilion? How does it look?
The Swiss do indeed have a pavilion. It has a tower where they used to give out free stuff from, and three exhibits that have separate entrances.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Pavilion Zero:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/mVCp8 ... 88-h891-no

fgalkin's review:

Architecture: 3/5
Informativeness: 5/5
Sustainability: 4/5
Coolness: 4/5
TOTAL: 8/10

Pictures and Read More

Have a very nice day
-fgalkin
Last edited by fgalkin on 2015-06-15 04:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fgalkin, the massive format-breaking pictures are massive; could you restrict things to, oh, 800 pixels wide? Or maybe just link to the pictures?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thanks to the Internet, we know that North Korea is Best Korea. How could South Korea ever hope to challenge that? After all, it is a country also known for its rabid nationalism and racism, yet they forever remain in the shadow of North Korea. Things like changing the name of the Sea of Japan to the East Seahelped change that, to an extent, but the work is just beginning, and the world is not yet fully aware that South Korea is the home away from home of pre-WWI European nationalism (aka, the reason why the Worlds’ Fair exists in the first place). How perfect, then, that they could keep the old traditions alive and well in their entry to the Expo.

How can they do that? Like any good nationalist narrative, the origins lie in history. South Korea is infamous for creating nationalistic revisionist histories about an ancient Korean state that was the forerunner of all civilization, and general…optimism when it comes to estimating their level of power, influence and development from archaeological and historical evidence. Perhaps, that is the answer!

Enter the South Korean pavilion, a 4000 m² concrete monster in the shape of the traditional Korean Moon Jar that even has its own website. Its theme is “Hansik: Ask and Korean Wisdom Shall Answer.”
With Hansik (Korean food), as the theme of the Korea Pavilion, the longstanding traditions of Korean food, which has its base rooted deeply in harmony with nature, will present a feasible and sustainable food alternative that can be used for all future generations.
(Source: The Pavilion Website)

Come join me on a journey which will show South Korea living up to its national stereotype by proving once and for all that only by following Ancient Korean Wisdom, can the global food crisis be averted.

Source

Read More

fgalkin's review
Architecture: 3/5
Informativeness: 2/5
Sustainability: 1/5
Coolness: 3/5
TOTAL: 4.5/10

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

As we all know, Belgium does not exist. It is a myth created by the New World Order for its nefarious purposes (and, apparently, because people in global conspiracies can get really, really bored).The Belgian pavilion at the Expo proves this, because how else is it possible that an exposition dedicated to outrageous waste in the name of feeding the planet has a pavilion design that is actually reasonable? It must be a conspiracy! I will investigate it further and find out the truth of this so-called “Belgium.”

Read More

fgalkin's review
Architecture: 4/5
Informativeness: 4/5
Sustainability: 5/5
TOTAL: 8.5/10

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Man, what the heck was South Korea thinking?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thanas wrote:Man, what the heck was South Korea thinking?
People who went to the Shanghai Expo confirmed that their entry there was also basically KOREA STRONK!!! Apparently, they are incapable of any other theme but that one...

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kinda fits well with all the stories of racism I've heard about South Koreans.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Thanas wrote:Kinda fits well with all the stories of racism I've heard about South Koreans.
My Korean American acquaintances noted that whenever they went to visit South Korea, they got treated with varying but always notable degrees of discrimination (the interracial ones got it worse).

Apparently ethnic Korean Chinese who went to visit South Korea get it even worse (to the point upon returning to the PRC, a lot of them start agitating online against South Korea).
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thanas wrote:Kinda fits well with all the stories of racism I've heard about South Koreans.
They're not the only ones who made fucked up decisions, though. Pretty much every country did something weird and/or stupid. It's like the Eurovision for the whole world, and not even minus the bad singing.

For example, Germany's bad decision was locking the visitors to its pavilion in for 10 minutes of this:

I'll get to it at some point.

Next up is Angola, whose decision to be present at the Expo is nothing short of criminal, IMHO.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Now why doesn't that surprise me?
------------
------------
My LPs
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thanas wrote:Now why doesn't that surprise me?
That was a secret German torture technique? :P

In any case, the Angola post is up now:

Imagine, for a second, that you are ruling a country. Your country is rich in oil and diamonds, and was once famous for feeding not only itself but also its neighbors. And yet, it had been at war for as long as anyone can remember. The countryside is devastated and littered with land mines, and agricultural output is a fraction of what it was decades ago. 80% of all goods are imported, thus, your capital has become the most expensive city in the world, yet 70% of the population live on less than $2 a day. Infant mortality rates are among the highest in the world, and the average citizen can expect to live to a ripe old age of 51. Yet you yourself are rich beyond measure from all the oil and diamonds your country exports. What do you do with that money to help your country and your people?

Did you answer “spend tens of millions of dollars to build an 2000m² pavilion glorifying your country at the Expo?” Good job, because that’s exactly what Angola did.

Mind you, a pavilion at the Expo is not necessarily a bad thing. Angola could be focusing on innovative solutions to restore productivity and reclaim abandoned agricultural land. They could be focusing on the efforts to combat chronic child malnutrition in the country. They could…
Angola has chosen to elaborate the theme of Expo Milano 2015, Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life: focusing on the culture and soul of the African nation through its varied and traditional cuisine, with its theme of: Educate to Innovate.
(Source: Angola @ Expo 2015)

Oh, never mind. Culture and Soul it is. Perhaps they could do with some Ancient Korean Wisdom while they’re at it.

Read More

fgalkin's review
Informativeness: 4/5
Sustainability: 3/5
Coolness: 1/5
TOTAL: 6/10

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Brazil has a bit of an image problem. It is thefifth largest country by populationand the seventh largest economy by purchasing power parity (ahead of France and the UK), it has the third most advanced industrial sector in the Americas, but all anyone can think about when it comes to the country are sports, parties, violence, and sex. You know, HUEHUEHUE? Stupid, racist stereotypes that simply need to go away if Brazil is to move forward.

Fortunately, there ways to improve that image, and taking part in large international events like the 2015 Expo can do a good deal to educate people about Brazil and what it’s like. And unlike some countries who built pavilions here, they can actually afford it.
Brazil is one of the greatest producers in the whole world. Whilst its agro-industrial activity is widely known, its technological capacity is less so.

Brazil’s participation at Expo Milano 2015, with a pavilion measuring 4,133 square meters, is an occasion for showing the world its typical research activities and its models of production and consumption.
(Source: Brazil @ Expo 2015)

See? Sounds exactly like what I was talking about!

I mean, Brazil actually has well-developed technological capabilities. For example, did you know that the world’s third-largest aircraft manufacturer is Brazilian? I can’t wait to see what they have built to showcase their capacity for high-tech research….

…a giant bouncy net?!

Read more

fgalkin's review
Informativeness: 1/5
Sustainability: 4/5
TOTAL: 6/10

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Czech Republic:

fgalkin's review

Architecture: 2/5
Informativeness: 3/5
Sustainability: 5/5
TOTAL: 6.5/10

Read Me!

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The UK!

Architecture: 5/5
Informativeness: 1/5
TOTAL: 6.5/10

Read Me

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I am enjoying this. Thanks for putting them together
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

I agree. These are quite interesting to read.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Thank you for the appreciation!

Incidentally, I've noticed that there is a non-trivial difference in hits on my blog if people are commenting on this thread, so if you have enjoyed it, keep commenting, please.

Nepal

Informativeness: 2/5
Coolness: 2/5
TOTAL: 5.5/10

Read Me

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin