Blackboards from 1917 discovered while renovating classroom

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Blackboards from 1917 discovered while renovating classroom

Post by Borgholio »

http://www.littlethings.com/1917-chalkb ... paign=quiz
I love history — but for me, the magic of the past doesn’t lie in complicated dates, exotic locations, or famous figures. To me, it’s the everyday stuff that’s truly fascinating; the comings and goings of normal people just living life.

After all, as our saying here goes, “It’s the little things in life that matter the most!” So why shouldn’t that apply to history as well?

That’s why I absolutely love this story. No, it won’t make breaking news, and it won’t alter any textbooks — but this discovery from days-gone-by perfectly captures a little slice of American history.

During the autumn months of 1917 — a year in which the first jazz record was released, the Ford Model T ran the roads, and the “Great War” waged on — a classroom in Oklahoma City received new blackboards.

Though it’s a rather mundane moment in history, this simple act preserved a sliver of time that would remain undiscovered and undisturbed for one hundred years. Now, its rediscovery is delighting people across the nation — myself included!
Click the link to see the pics and the video. It's actually pretty neat...especially some of the teaching methods that are no longer used. Check out that multiplication wheel. I'm still trying to figure out how that works...any math majors here care to take a crack at it?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: Blackboards from 1917 discovered while renovating classr

Post by LaCroix »

it's something like this - multiply the number inside with one on the outside, write number next to it.

The teacher just wrote multiple numbers inside, instead of drawing the wheel for each, like the children would have to do on their sheets.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Ok so it's not like a multiplication table where you can use it to find the answer...it's an actual problem to be solved?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Borgholio wrote:http://www.littlethings.com/1917-chalkb ... paign=quiz
I love history — but for me, the magic of the past doesn’t lie in complicated dates, exotic locations, or famous figures. To me, it’s the everyday stuff that’s truly fascinating; the comings and goings of normal people just living life.

After all, as our saying here goes, “It’s the little things in life that matter the most!” So why shouldn’t that apply to history as well?

That’s why I absolutely love this story. No, it won’t make breaking news, and it won’t alter any textbooks — but this discovery from days-gone-by perfectly captures a little slice of American history.

During the autumn months of 1917 — a year in which the first jazz record was released, the Ford Model T ran the roads, and the “Great War” waged on — a classroom in Oklahoma City received new blackboards.

Though it’s a rather mundane moment in history, this simple act preserved a sliver of time that would remain undiscovered and undisturbed for one hundred years. Now, its rediscovery is delighting people across the nation — myself included!
Click the link to see the pics and the video. It's actually pretty neat...especially some of the teaching methods that are no longer used. Check out that multiplication wheel. I'm still trying to figure out how that works...any math majors here care to take a crack at it?
Remarkably civilized for Yankees.
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"