Women's World Cup 2015

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Women's World Cup 2015

Post by Balrog »

So apparently this started already. Some thoughts of what I've seen so far...

What Germany did to Ivory Coast could be considered a war crime - certainly if any Brazilian fans were watching it might've triggered their past trauma - but the other two African teams have done surprisingly well so far. Certainly didn't see Nigeria getting a draw with Sweden the way it did or Cameroon winning.

US came out poor in their opener, they were sloppy and seemed more interested in punting the ball as far down the pitch as they could, no matter who was there. And Wambach missing that header! :shock: They did shape up in the second half, and I hope they don't sleep on Nigeria this Friday.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Women's World Cup 2015

Post by Thanas »

The World Cup certainly works as intended so far, I just wish the games weren't scheduled at nighttime.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

I heard that there were some terrible problems with the artificial turf carving off skin and such, is there any truth to that?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yes, there were pictures tweeted by the German WNT that showed lots of ugly bruising and scrapes, some open and oozing blood.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

John Oliver talked about the artificial turf in the same video he vowed to drink Bud Light Lime if Blatter was removed.

Here's some pictures of players' legs that were uploaded to twitter:
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Yeah, that artificial turf sucks.

Anyways, disappointing for the US team, they should've been able to play a lot better against Sweden, but at least it wasn't a loss. This result actually makes me a bit worried about the Nigeria game, but at least we will keep going regardless of the actual result.

And poor France was the latest victim in the terrible officiating.
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Well known that the round of 16 is over, I'm still not convinced the USWNT can win it all. Their defense is very good, but on the attack they're just meh. However I can easily see them getting to and winning 3rd place.

My predictions for the games this weekend:
US beats China: the China team just ain't like it was before, and despite the yellow cards the USWNT is just too deep.
Germany beats France: this one is close but the German team has simply been more impressive thus far.
Japan beats Australia: the defending champions are too much for a team like Australia.
Canada beats England: these two teams are evenly matched IMO but the Canadians have the home field advantage.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Everytime I am watching Women soccer I am amazed at how elementary elements of the game are missing in it. The spaces are not efficiently cordoned off, passes are hilariously off the mark....at this rate there will not be an equal product to the one delivered by men's soccer. Of course it helps that the latter is vastly more supported, but this should be better than regional-level soccer.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I'm pleased to see world-class games of ANY sort in my home town, but I can tell you FIFA fans this much: Your beautiful game is massively screwing up my commute.

Landsdowne park's new stadium is all shiny and pretty, but the space they built in was so claustrophobic that there is essentially zero parking for anyone, leading to an almost comical parade of tow trucks removing cars from spectacularly inappropriate parking locations, including the middle of the sidewalk.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Hah, ein Neuer Angerer!
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Well it was finally entertaining to watch the American team for once, since they were actually attacking and applying constant pressure rather than just playing D-fence and blasting the ball up the field in the vain hope it'd land near Wambach or Rapino. And it really showed just how much better they were than the China team, they dominated that field like a gunboat sailing down the Yangtze River. The Chinese players basically handed the ball over every time an American player got close like they didn't want to be rude or something. If China hadn't buried some Kryptonite underneath the penalty box which caused the USWNT to inexplicitly start sucking every time they got near, the score would've and should've been more lopsided.

And damn you Canada for keeping my predictions from being perfect, though hats off to the Three Lionesses for their historic win. Likewise the German team lucked out their game came down PKs, since the Frenchies just looked to be the better team this time.

My predictions for this Tuesday is the US eeks out a narrow victory against the Germans while the Japanese are victorious against England. This sets up a repeat of last world cup finals except it goes the right way this time and the Germans bring home the bronze.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I still don't understand how England's top scorer is a defender
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Balrog wrote: And it really showed just how much better they were than the China team, they dominated that field like a gunboat sailing down the Yangtze River.
Get the fuck out.
------------
------------
My LPs
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Fine, they dominated the field like a tank column rolling up on Tiananmen Square.

It would be quite hilarious if the US lost against Germany and ended up playing against England on the 4th of July. :D
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Do you find the references to brutal imperialist actions funny? I do not.
------------
------------
My LPs
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

I find humor can be a good way to deal with serious issues, but then this is getting off-topic.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

So what about blitz? AFAIK it´s a standard term in American Football.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It is a tactic, not a celebration of imperialist actions.

That would be like trying to condemn "Sturm" or "Bedrängen".
------------
------------
My LPs
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

How about the US dominated like Sherman marching to the sea? :D
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

mr friendly guy wrote:How about the US dominated like Sherman marching to the sea? :D
That's a good one, especially with the recent Confederate flag hullabaloo.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Like Atta flying to NY?
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Can we get back to talking about football already? If you guys want to have the highly interesting and topical discussion about the nature and limits of comedy in a world where the political left is ascendant, we can set up another thread for that.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

i've been quetly pleased by the bbc coverage - they just call it 'the world cup'
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

madd0ct0r wrote:i've been quetly pleased by the bbc coverage - they just call it 'the world cup'
In Germany we live in the sad state where Bild, our friendly neighborhood asshole tabloid has tons more information then normal sources. Besides the obvious nonsense articles about Hope Solos titts they actually have real information about the upcomming game against the USA. This can´t be said about a bunch of other sources.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

A well deserved victory for the US Team. We played really badly.