'Assassin's Creed' is sexist for adding female characters?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Are the developers of 'Assassins Creed: Syndicate' right to add Evie?

Yes, it's a step towards greater gender equality in video games.
84%
No, it's just a band-aid, i.e., they did the minimum they could get away with, to silence those with legitimate complaints about their sexism.
16%

Total votes: 19

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

'Assassin's Creed' is sexist for adding female characters?

Post by Sidewinder »

A Spanish artist, KukuruyoArt, has a webcomic titled 'GamerGate life', which parodies radical feminists and other "social justice warriors." The most recent one has a social justice warrior (the blonde) complain, "I can't play as a woman in this game. That's sexist; I will not stop until they add women to their games," in one panel, and "They added women to their games. That's so fucking sexist!" the next, in reference to the following article:
International Business Times wrote:Assassin's Creed: Syndicate developers nakedly exploiting feminism for cheap PR

By Edward Smith

May 15, 2015 12:40 BST

Historically, games have respected women about the same as you might respect a banana peel, or a used tissue. Women have been sexualised, objectified, belittled, discriminated against and misrepresented at every juncture.

But in the past couple of years, more and more games have started to feature women characters not as damsels in distress, or jiggle-physics-enabled arm candy, but protagonists. The Last of Us: Left Behind and Tomb Raider are a couple of noteworthy efforts, also Gone Home, Life is Strange and Remember Me. By no means have these titles "fixed" gaming's relationship with women, but they are, for the most part, a step in the right direction – at the very least, they're a step towards the right direction.

Lately however, I think there's been something opportunistic about the way games are treating women. The announcement this week that the new Assassin's Creed, entitled Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, would feature a playable female as well as male protagonist smacks, to me, not of an industry that genuinely cares about women, but one that is prepared to use them for the sake of publicity.

The fact that "female characters will be playable" is a press release at all – that Ubisoft, the game's developer, felt it pertinent to drip release that information – makes me feel as if women, especially in this case, have become a cynical kind of marketing tactic, deployed to whip up online chatter between GamerGate sexists, and make the rest of us normal people simply feel a bit warm and fuzzy.

Stirring up publicity or covering their backs

I'm relieved, of course, that women are finally receiving some stature in videogames, but these pre-launch "we will have female characters" press releases, like Syndicate, like Bedlam, like this from the Mortal Kombat X developers, don't feel to me like developers trying to include and ingratiate women into games. Instead, it seems like game-makers are either trying to stir up publicity or merely cover their backs and demonstrate, like a restaurateur to the health inspector, that they are in compliance with expected standards.

There's a "you want it? Here then, have it!" kind of tone to these announcements – if the developers and writers actually thought or cared about women, they wouldn't shout about it this way.

This isn't what the process of creating gender equality in games looks like. More helpful – more powerful – would be to simply HAVE female characters in games, for them to simply be there, not for developers to point out and proclaim it like it's some noteworthy oddity. Admittedly, it is noteworthy.

As I've said, videogames traditionally have treated women abysmally. But I don't think it's instructive or helpful to draw direct attention to women being in games. It still feels like the process of "othering" women, only now approached from a different angle – othering, but via the back door.

As long as the existence of female playable characters, or just female characters that aren't heinous caricatures, is drawn attention to, women in games will feel like an alien presence. You might argue that developers announcing their female characters this way is spreading the word somehow – it's encouraging other game-makers to do the same. But I don't buy that. This is just marketing.

Flaunted and touted

The female characters in videogames are not given half as much attention as their male oppressors. On the contrary, they're still objects being flaunted and touted by developers, only now via different language. Especially in the case of Syndicate, female characters feel like a badge of honour that the developer has chosen to wear not out of any sense of purpose of principle, but simply for reasons of appearance – simply for convenience.

It's an affectation. If you're using women characters so nakedly as marketing material, I can't possibly believe that you actually care about them. If you did, you wouldn't reduce them to this mere window dressing.

"It's better than nothing" is the best defence I can come up with for this kind of marketing. Or rather, it's better than what predominated before, which was still women being used to promote games, except barely clothed, ludicrously proportioned sexist caricatures. But it's still tragic.

What dire straits is videogaming in when the mere presence of a woman in a game, in any role outside of damsel or eye candy, is considered news worthy, not just by the game's developer, but by the press also? How low do your standards as a creative have to be that you contact journalists to boast how your latest story has a woman in it?

Ed Smith writes about games, films and culture for IBTimes UK. He has also written for The Observer, Vice, New Statesman and Edge magazine. Find him on Twitter @mostsincerelyed
KukuruyoArt himself commented:
Remember when the Social Justice Warriors cried non stop about how sexist the Assassin creed games because they didn’t have female protagonists? Ubisoft recently announced a new Assassins creed, with a couple of male and female protagonists, and now the SJWs are saying that including a female protagonist is sexist! archive.is/f5Zu4

Seriously, there is no way to please this people, no matter what you do, they have proven it time and time again. Josh Whedon tried and look what they did to him for the Avengers movie. You just CAN’T please them, don’t even try
Are Ed Smith's complaints about sexism in 'Assassin's Creed: Syndicate' valid? Or is he being a whiny bitch, as KukuruyoArt asserts?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Re: 'Assassin's Creed' is sexist for adding female character

Post by Kingmaker »

Even if you think it's a cheap ploy, a grudging concession is still a concession. There's not going to be some revolution in consciousness where a huge number of people who didn't give a fuck before are going to abruptly start giving them overnight. Let them see that there's little downside, or even a benefit, and you'll get a lot less resistance from developers.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

These are video game developers we're talking about. They make games to make money and their motives aren't pure nor are they required to be pure. Every announcement is going to be intended to drive up publicity for their game. They make a popular title that has received flak for having multiple playable male characters in a previous game and no playable female characters. So yes they are going to announce the existence of female characters and yes they are going to do in part to deflect criticism and improve sales. No one is asking that they be saints.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

If a company has previously received criticism for not doing something, then they decide to do it, I fail to see why it's a bad thing to announce that they are doing it in their promotional material. I'd only have a problem if the marketing is dishonest (for example, if the female character is only playable for a few minutes).

As to the people quoted in the OP, I have complaints about both of them:
- Edward Smith is complaining about the marketing. He seems to have a problem with a company trying to tell people that they have improved. He is not accusing Ubisoft of dishonesty.
- KukuruyoArt is saying that Smith is complaining about the presence of the female character and responding to that strawman. While ignoring that Smith is actually complaining about the marketing material.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

This is more a problem with marketing in general than with marketing the presence of relevant female characters.
Marketing will tell you that something about the product is an extra oridinary feature even if it is just something all competitors have as well.
But if you rely on marketing statements and advertisments as a means of gathering real information about a product you´re obviously a fucking moron.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Ubisoft developers don't seem to get the whole "threat women in more than what a boy's prize and as an alternative to being a boy" idea and its message is probably lost on the corporate people managing the franchise. What Edward Smith really wants is a shift in thinking in the concept of "woman" in the whole creative space of Assassin Creed's creators. On one hand it is about trying to spread a more equal and human idea of being a woman, on the other it is trying to dictate to artists their own conceptions.

A cynically-motivated step forward is still a step forward. The fact is that when a criticism was leveled against a game and they fixed it in the next game is admirable and praise-worthy. That they did not do it in the spirit you hoped they'd do it is a after-the-fact complaint and another issue. The standard publisher/developer response is to not give a shit.
They clearly are not getting the bigger message but the fact that they care at all is a sign of changing times.

KukuruyoArt is an idiot (at least from reading what he wrote) who has no idea what is going on and does not really care, he only wants an excuse to punch his straw-man SJW. He is also overrating the response. The response seems to be a resounding "meh, they did it minimally and don't get it" not "oh no, they actually caved in our demands and actually included a playable female character!".
Last edited by Zixinus on 2015-05-19 09:48am, edited 1 time in total.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I kind of wish there was a third option for "Both"

Lets be blunt. The people over at Ubisoft are behind the times and sexist. Having women as PCs is the absolute bare minimum to not just be considered assholes. Compare this to Bioware, who have done all sorts of lovely things all on their own lately, and Ubisoft like your crotchety old great grandfather who is only just now admitting that women's suffrage was an OK idea, and only because you have browbeaten him about it every awkward thanksgiving dinner for years.

This has been an issue since the second game in this title series (though they did include a gay NPC. Hi DaVinci, and well acted female NPCs...juxtaposed against an aggressively Male Protagonist who you can play Male Protagonist Bingo with), and they have fought it tooth and nail to the point that their flimsy protestations were too much even for them, and they took the bare minimum step.

Too little too late. They dont get cookies for not being actively terrible anymore. They dont get the hate stick, but no cookies.

Yet, any change from their prior mode of operations is a step in the right direction. So there ya go.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I don't understand. Didn't they already have a female protag in Liberation? And people are upset because Ubisoft actually listened to complaints?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

To me it seems that they´re not complaining because of the implementation of this character or the character itself but about the fact that the implementation is used for marketing purposes.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

salm wrote:To me it seems that they´re not complaining because of the implementation of this character or the character itself but about the fact that the implementation is used for marketing purposes.
This pretty much sums it up.
Instead, it seems like game-makers are either trying to stir up publicity or merely cover their backs and demonstrate, like a restaurateur to the health inspector, that they are in compliance with expected standards.
Imagine that for a second. The health inspectors show up, and the proprietor pointedly says "And I am sure it pleases you to note: absolutely no cockroaches!" like it is some sort of huge deal goes above and beyond the call of duty, after previous warnings from the inspector about the roach problem that the proprietor acted combative/defensive about.

Or maybe a little kid being made to apologize for putting his little brother's pet goldfish in the blender.

"I'm Sorry! (Subetext: :finger: )"
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: Imagine that for a second. The health inspectors show up, and the proprietor pointedly says "And I am sure it pleases you to note: absolutely no cockroaches!" like it is some sort of huge deal goes above and beyond the call of duty, after previous warnings from the inspector about the roach problem that the proprietor acted combative/defensive about.

Or maybe a little kid being made to apologize for putting his little brother's pet goldfish in the blender.

"I'm Sorry! (Subetext: :finger: )"
Of course. Like mentioned above, though, this is a general problem with marketing and not with this particular gender issue. Marketing will try to make default features and minimal requirements look like unique selling points.
If you know a way to get rid of marketing lingo with its quasi lies, smoke screens and exaggerations I´m all for it. Until then I´ll settle with being abundantly skeptical about what companies claim their own products to be.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Sidewinder wrote: Are Ed Smith's complaints about sexism in 'Assassin's Creed: Syndicate' valid? Or is he being a whiny bitch, as KukuruyoArt asserts?
More paranoid bitch than whiny bitch. It's like everyone on the side of the SJW is now going "Ok, what are we missing, what's your agenda...you gotta have an agenda..." Because, you know, we can't write stories with women front and center.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

It's worth pointing out that social critics criticize. If they couldn't do so, they would be out of work. So any time a situation changes, it falls upon the conservative social critic to complain about how society is moving away from their comfortable status quo, and it falls upon the progressive social critic to complain about how it's bullshit because we haven't changed fast enough, or far enough, or with the proper sincerity. Any amount of change will trigger said criticism; no change is either too small to escape shrill warnings or too large to be satisfactory.

So, fuck critics, is basically my answer to the OP's poll.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I suppose, but expecting them to change their entire business model from the ground up at the same time they put out SOCIAL JUSTICE MODERN GAME MATERIAL is...unrealistic. There are parts of the whole social justice...thing I've agreed with from the start but this is the first time I've seen an attack on the business model because a game company does frakking PR. While I'm not 'in movement' this is the first time I've just gone 'what...the...fuck...?'.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Their problem isn't so much that the game has PR but that it celebrates a half-hearted quick-solution that does not actually address the main issue as it was a celebration-worthy and long-awaited answer, rather than it being the concession it is. Or at least, the move is seen as a concession by the OP's quote.

The problem is that what is being asked is more than just superficial features, more than just having a player character with boobs and without a beard. That is what the OP is talking about. That's what KukuruyoArt doesn't seem to get.

They want a change in how the writers and gameplay designers approach every women character and the role of women altogether. Is that unrealistic? I agree that it's asking for a lot, asking for the large creative team behind the game for to change how they think about a pretty big thing. Is it unrealistic? Probably, but not utterly unreasonable and maybe something worth talking about. That there is this debate going on about just how to do this and what it should look like. I can understand that someone does not care to join that debate or refuse to be dictated such ideas at all.

I'd like to note that I haven't played any of the games since Brotherhood.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Then they want an entirely new creative property. Thing about Assassin's Creed is that a female character actually fits. Too bad so sad for them.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Actually, a visit to the Wiki shows that there is a side-game that features a female Assassin protagonist, the one set in China?
Credo!
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

If you call one of the three main features of the game a side-game, then yes, a side-game.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Saying female leads is expected is disingenuous. They aren't: the market is insanely profitable whether you ignore women or treat them as stereotypes. Same with men, but male leads (white primarily) don't generate controversy other than "that's all you ever do" while people drop millions on pre-orders. Edward also doesn't seem to find Blizzard doing the same thing noteworthy, but Ubisoft does suck much harder than ActiBlizz.

Anyways, how prevalent is this criticism of Ubisoft? Or is this just the ranting of a few people? Either way, if it generates enough traction, get ready for more yearly releases of "dudes stabbing other dudes" as Ubisoft just runs right back to only male protags. And makes tons of money doing so. I'll be busy dieing of old age waiting for another Metroid game.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Ubisoft got huge amounts of flack earlier this year when they said making 'a female character was too difficult, we ran out of time' or some such nonesense.

newsites noticed those articles got a lot of clicks, so commissioning a followup article is an easy way for the newspaper to get a bit more ad revenue.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

TheFeniX wrote: Anyways, how prevalent is this criticism of Ubisoft? Or is this just the ranting of a few people? Either way, if it generates enough traction, get ready for more yearly releases of "dudes stabbing other dudes" as Ubisoft just runs right back to only male protags. And makes tons of money doing so. I'll be busy dieing of old age waiting for another Metroid game.
Frankly, this would be a hilarious 'foot in mouth' oops moment to watch happen. All because either A) things weren't happening fast enough to satisfy them, or B) newsite wants clicks and so commissions article, thus Ubisoft does full 180 because there gets enough traction.
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

Where's the option for "I don't care so long as the game is good"?

Alyrium Denryle, in Assassin's Creed games there is only one player character per game with the exception of rare side sequences, it makes no sense to demand that "at least one" of the main characters be a woman when there was only one character.

Ever since the 2.5 game you have been able to recruit women into the Assassins, and though I only barely recall that game, I do remember that almost none of the female characters cold be defined as just "prizes for the hero", although I'll grant that I don't know how expansive you are making that statement.

Zixinus, there is also a game for handheld devices/consoles which had a creole woman as the protagonist in the 1700's Caribbean (or maybe New Orleans), incidentally I'm pretty sure it is the only ass creed game to introduce substantial new mechanics since ass creed 2.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Titan Uranus wrote: Alyrium Denryle, in Assassin's Creed games there is only one player character per game with the exception of rare side sequences, it makes no sense to demand that "at least one" of the main characters be a woman when there was only one character.
Assassin's Creed Chronicles called, it wants you to catch up with what's been done with the game writing style.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Titan Uranus wrote:Where's the option for "I don't care so long as the game is good"?
Do you remember all the problems with AC: Unity ?
Alyrium Denryle, in Assassin's Creed games there is only one player character per game with the exception of rare side sequences, it makes no sense to demand that "at least one" of the main characters be a woman when there was only one character.
From memory, the complains were about wanting a female character in the co-op.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I think the problems with AC: Unity were the same problems with every other damn game that overworked their programmers with a release date on the XBox One, but hell I could be totally wrong about that. I ran into half the problems described mostly because I hemoraghed money for a new computer two years ago a step below top of the line when mine literally died after five years of solid use and wasn't having well...issues you might run into for console memory management. My graphics card was able to go "HERE HERE MEMORY MEMORY FOR ALL THAT NEED!" Though there were bugs...yes. Some strange and nasty ones admittedly.

As for co-op...that's...strange. A very strange one to hear. For all I never dive into that community I never heard that one. That story had one of the best female characters in the history of the series...PC or no...