MRAs to boycott Mad Max for being "feminist propaganda"

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Re: MRAs to boycott Mad Max for being "feminist propaganda"

Post by Metahive »

Terralthra wrote:Err...no, he's using pretty clear fitness logic. If increased pain tolerance were fitness-maximizing, we wouldn't have the sensitivity to pain that we do. You may not like the implication, but that doesn't mean you can dismiss it without rebutting it.
See, that's actually an attempted bait and switch since the point here made is about traits making a good soldier/warrior, not survival in general which I hope nobody actually thinks are the same thing (just food for thought, wars, especially modern wars have young, healthy people fight, get injured and die at the behest of a small wealthy elite, not exactly survival maximising behaviour for a species). I admit accusing him of using ST evolution was wrong, I should have dismissed it entirely as irrelevant. My bad.
You know, it isn't often that someone on this forum not only admits to, but seems to pride themself on committing a style-over-substance fallacy. Did this sound good in your head: "I know, I'll show that mean Starglider. I'll tell him that I ignored his substantive points and the evidence he presented because he was mean!"?
O you mean when he called me transphobic by using the old MRA ploy to conflate gender and sex? Did that sound good in his head?

Also, it's not Style Over Substance to comment that bringing your points up in the most assholish manner possible, by using sneering references to "political correctness" and "social justice points" in a discussion about feminism is not conducive to a fruitful debate. Or do you actually think so?

ETA:
Also, how did I ignore the "evidence" Starglider presented? The first argument he brought was blatantly overselling the conclusions of an article he picked up from the web. When I pointed out that had exaggerated its findings he called me stupid and to go find the evidence myself. Did that sound good in his head, does it sound good in yours? I guess you overlooked this all just so you could call me a pansy that shrinks before bad words. Bleh.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: MRAs to boycott Mad Max for being "feminist propaganda"

Post by Ralin »

Metahive wrote: O you mean when he called me transphobic by using the old MRA ploy to conflate gender and sex? Did that sound good in his head?
What the hell are you talking about? He flat out said that there are men who can give birth and that having uteri and ovaries doesn't make someone a woman. That's literally the opposite of conflating gender and sex.