Arnold acts out his films in 6 minutes.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Arnold acts out his films in 6 minutes.

Post by The Infidel »

I'm not quite sure if this belongs in off-topic or testing, but here goes...
Arnold is parodying his own movies in this one. :)

Well, sometimes favors hurts...
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Re: Arnold acts out his films in 6 minutes.

Post by Sidewinder »

He looks in good shape.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Arnold couldn't keep a straight face during the True Lies one!
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Borgholio wrote:Arnold couldn't keep a straight face during the True Lies one!
I don't blame him.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I love that Arnie can even poke fun at his crap movies. Batman and Robin sucked bad and The Expendables are the only movies I refuse to watch with Arnold in it, too many actors I loath.

But they said my favorite Arnie line.

You cold-hearted bastard! I'll tell what I think about it. I live to see you eat that contract! But I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and BREAK YOUR GODDAMN SPINE!

Running Man is Arnolds most underrated movie.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Why does everyone dislike Batman and Robin? I easily found it the most enjoyable of the Batman movies. It's certainly much more satisfying than the grimdark modern ones.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I'm not a huge fan of the grim dark Batmans too (and even less of a fan of the grimdark Superman) but while shit like the Nolan Bats trilogy went to far with its dark and brooding emo ass atmosphere the Schumacher Batmans went to far in the other direction.

They were far, FAR too bright and campy, too reliant on cliches, just one liner after one liner, goofy plots, and wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too many close-up shots of batbutt and bat nipples. Also the fucking bat credit card, seriously fuck you you piece of plastic bastard!!!!

Why I prefer the Burton batmangs is because his stuff had some camp and comedy while also being dark and brooding but neither was too much nor did either overshadow the other. Hell Batman Returns was done so well I didn't notice for the longest time its wasn't even a Batman movie, it was a Catwoman or Penguin movie guest staring Batman in a supporting role. Its not as bad as some modern movies like the Hulk movies with barely any Hulk and the fucking Iron Man movies with like 5 minutes of Iron Mang but still there was not alot of focus or screen time of Batman.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I just know that there is this one modern batman where at the end he ends up being chased by the police. And I was like WTF? Batman is supposed to win in the end. He is the bloody hero! That's what heroes do! They win. Happy end and all that. And that was the moment I stopped caring for modern superhero movies.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Purple wrote:I just know that there is this one modern batman where at the end he ends up being chased by the police. And I was like WTF? Batman is supposed to win in the end. He is the bloody hero! That's what heroes do! They win. Happy end and all that. And that was the moment I stopped caring for modern superhero movies.
Heaven forbid heroes ever have to deal with the consequences of what they do.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

That said the True Lies skit was the best out of the lot.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

General Zod wrote:
Purple wrote:I just know that there is this one modern batman where at the end he ends up being chased by the police. And I was like WTF? Batman is supposed to win in the end. He is the bloody hero! That's what heroes do! They win. Happy end and all that. And that was the moment I stopped caring for modern superhero movies.
They are heroes. The consequences of heroic actions should be heroic rewards. You don't hear about the white knight in shining armor assaulting the lair of the evil necromancer to rescue the princess only to get imprisoned for trespassing once the story is done.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Purple wrote:
General Zod wrote:
They are heroes. The consequences of heroic actions should be heroic rewards. You don't hear about the white knight in shining armor assaulting the lair of the evil necromancer to rescue the princess only to get imprisoned for trespassing once the story is done.
In the meantime some of us prefer a bit of moral complexity in our stories because unbeatable supermen that nothing ever bad happens to are boring.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

General Zod wrote:In the meantime some of us prefer a bit of moral complexity in our stories because unbeatable supermen that nothing ever bad happens to are boring.
Where did you get the unbeatable supermen part from? :wtf: I newer mentioned anything of the sort. Can't you read?

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Purple wrote:
General Zod wrote:In the meantime some of us prefer a bit of moral complexity in our stories because unbeatable supermen that nothing ever bad happens to are boring.
Where did you get the unbeatable supermen part from? :wtf: I newer mentioned anything of the sort. Can't you read?
Batman is supposed to win in the end.
If the hero wins all the time it's boring.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

General Zod wrote:If the hero wins all the time it's boring.
That's now how I meant it and you know it. My point was that in a movie where the hero does succeed in defeating the forces of evil and that is not deliberately set as a tragedy the hero should also get a happy ending. Hence the example I gave.

Just how would you react to a story where the knight in shining armor leaves the princess he just saved in front of her castle and says: "I can't come with you from here, for your father will arrest me for trespassing on the evil wizard." I know I would go WTF.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Purple wrote:Why does everyone dislike Batman and Robin? I easily found it the most enjoyable of the Batman movies. It's certainly much more satisfying than the grimdark modern ones.
I'll start by saying: I loved Batman and Robin. The terrible puns, the camp, the horrible everything. But I like it because it was so terrible and no one seemed to care. Same thing with Battlefield Earth, it makes for a great unintentional comedy movie.

But BaR failed miserably as a thematic movie (if that even means anything). The nitpicking parts were some of the worst. Batnipples, the hilarious lighting and effects in the Batcave which no one but 3 people would ever see. Gotham looking like a Disco. Essentially, I think they were shooting to smash the grim-dark setting of new Gotham with the camp of the original series and it clashed horribly unlike Batman Forever. It also had way to large a cast, Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Bane, Ivy, Freeze. This is saved by Arnold playing Arnold, not Mr. Freeze. He just camps them all into the dirt and walks all over them. Opposed to neither Carrey nor Jones, while playing insanely over the top characters really not being able to overshadow each other in Batman Forever. There's this laundry list of crap I could bash the movie for, but I find it somehow manages to work.

But I've never been a huge Batman or comic book fan, though I know more than a few people who are both. They cannot fucking stand BaR. It's like how my wife just views Dungeons and Dragons as a stupid blow-off movie, but to me it's the same thing as if I was watching Solomon kick my childhood in the nuts over and over for 90 minutes. I'm sure this is how Batman fans feel about Schumacher.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Borgholio wrote:Arnold couldn't keep a straight face during the True Lies one!
He has the same trouble in the film.

You can really tell it was made just after James Cameron's divorce.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Purple, you are truly special and precious. Don't let anybody ever convince you otherwise.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Purple wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Classic heroic tales are so overdone, cliche and inherently campy that they're boring and annoying. The credulous, white-knight hero that wins only because the writers made the antagonists dumber than he is stopped being fun or engaging after the age of 12 or so.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Highlord Laan wrote:Classic heroic tales are so overdone, cliche and inherently campy that they're boring and annoying. The credulous, white-knight hero that wins only because the writers made the antagonists dumber than he is stopped being fun or engaging after the age of 12 or so.
I find the opposite to be true. Now a days everything is gritty and dark and "realistic" that it's become a cliche. I'd velcome another Flash Gordon or equivalent.

SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

That would be 'Dark Knight'. I hate to break it to ya, but him being chased by the police was him winning. The choices were he either sacrifices his Batman persona and name; or let the truth about Harvey Dent be known and let the work he did be undone, which would result in Joker being the ultimate victor. Bruce Wayne did the only he could do to put and end to Joker's machinations.

So, in the end, Batman still won.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Highlord Laan wrote:Classic heroic tales are so overdone, cliche and inherently campy that they're boring and annoying. The credulous, white-knight hero that wins only because the writers made the antagonists dumber than he is stopped being fun or engaging after the age of 12 or so.
Like Avatar? I don't think there's anything really overdone about the classic hero tale other than Hollywood's checklist style of movie making. Nor do I think either version of said hero tale is inherently better. There's more than a few movies the good guys "lose" because they acted idiotically. Poor writing is poor writing.

Either way, the badass with a heart-of-gold isn't exactly a new concept. Arnold made millions off this and Hollywood was more than happy to drive it into the ground.

I'll never understand people thinking they should "outgrow" entertainment. No, not every action movie should be about incorruptible turtles who fight off the machinations of an evil can opener without any moral ambiguity. But saying it can't be engaging makes you an asshole. I actually quite enjoyed the 2013 TMNT movie and not just for the nostalgia. "Children's" movies are rife with this and are still enjoyable on many levels: Kung Fu Panda, How to Train your Dragon, etc rely on pretty "standard" themes you don't have to be under 12 years-old to enjoy.

EDIT: I'd also like to say I find it funny that Dark Knight is being held up as a breaker of molds when it really relies on a lot of the same themes (overwhelming stupidity for one) that so-called "boring and cliche" movies do.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Purple, what do you think of the Marvel movies then, with Avengers 2 out and all?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Joun_Lord wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the grim dark Batmans too (and even less of a fan of the grimdark Superman) but while shit like the Nolan Bats trilogy went to far with its dark and brooding emo ass atmosphere the Schumacher Batmans went to far in the other direction.

They were far, FAR too bright and campy, too reliant on cliches, just one liner after one liner, goofy plots, and wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too many close-up shots of batbutt and bat nipples. Also the fucking bat credit card, seriously fuck you you piece of plastic bastard!!!!

Why I prefer the Burton batmangs is because his stuff had some camp and comedy while also being dark and brooding but neither was too much nor did either overshadow the other. Hell Batman Returns was done so well I didn't notice for the longest time its wasn't even a Batman movie, it was a Catwoman or Penguin movie guest staring Batman in a supporting role. Its not as bad as some modern movies like the Hulk movies with barely any Hulk and the fucking Iron Man movies with like 5 minutes of Iron Mang but still there was not alot of focus or screen time of Batman.
Nolan's Batman films aren't really that dark.

Think about it. Batman wins. He saves Gotham, retires, and gets to live happily ever after with Catwoman. Has any other version of Batman done that? Their is a suggestion that evil acts are sometimes necessary for the greater good, but even then, The Dark Knight shows Batman giving up his mass surveilance technology and the Joker is beaten as much by the refusal of the people on the ferries to play his game as by darker methods. Nolan's Batman films may be inconsistent (take the no killing principle), but they're as much an ode to idealism and optimism as they are dark.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Steve wrote:Purple, what do you think of the Marvel movies then, with Avengers 2 out and all?
I have not seen them. I am not a big fan of the whole superhero genre anyway. I can't even tell who is with Marvel and who is with DC.