Man almost loses arms after trying to become the Hulk

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Man almost loses arms after trying to become the Hulk

Post by Borgholio »

http://cbs4indy.com/2015/05/04/man-near ... njections/
CALDAS NOVAS, Brazil — A bodybuilder from Brazil says he’s called a “monster” and a “beast,” and says he even terrifies children after becoming addicted to injecting his muscles with oil and alcohol.

“I remember the doctor told me that they would need to amputate both arms. They said everything in there, all my muscles, were rock.”Daily Mail reports that Romario Dos Santos Alves, 25, also faced several health issues in his quest to resemble the Incredible Hulk.

Alves said he first injected his muscles with synthol, which is a mix of oil and alcohol, about three years ago to make his muscles larger. His biceps eventually grew to 25 inches.

Using the filler began causing him constant pain and several health problems due to the toxins in the oil. It also interfered with his mental health and relationship with his wife. At one point, a doctor told him he would have to amputate his arms.

“I remember the doctor told me that they would need to amputate both arms,” he told Daily Mail. “They said everything in there, all my muscles, were rock.”

Luckily, doctors were able to remove some of the “rocks” that had formed in his arms instead.

Alves says he regrets using the synthol but still has cravings. He says he hasn’t used it in nearly two years.
Of all the superheroes to try and emulate...he picks the Hulk? Hell, I'd rather be Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne than a big green asshole with anger management issues. :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Man almost loses arms after trying to become the Hulk

Post by Broomstick »

Gregg Valentino is another of these guys, proceeding the OP's dude by a few years:

He used Synthol, too, combined with actual body-building. He also didn't excuse his problems by saying he was emulating anything, he just liked the look of having massive biceps, and for awhile holding the world record. Hope it was worth the jail term and the destruction of his marriage, not to mention the medical problems.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

So he tried to become the "The Incredible Hulk", but turned into "The Thing"?

He can count himself lucky to still be alive. That stuff is highly dangerous - just hit a vein, once, and you can die.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:Of all the superheroes to try and emulate...he picks the Hulk? Hell, I'd rather be Tony Stark or Bruce Wayne than a big green asshole with anger management issues. :)
Maybe it's an issue of wanting people to see him the way he like-it-or-not sees himself rather than wish-fulfillment per se. When I was a kid, the Marvel heroes I wanted to be were a toss-up between Daredevil and Nightcrawler, but the one I actually identified with was the Hulk (I wish I was all nimble and clever and shit, but really I've always been a small, white asshole with anger management issues who frequently dreams about using one person to bludgeon another to death or throwing somebody into outer space and that sort of thing). If he actually perceives himself as a big, (possibly green; they do some amazing things with tattoos these days) asshole with anger management issues, it might reduce his cognitive dissonance to have people respond to him as one.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Those biceps are sickening. I mean I can understand the appeal of big arms but c'mon.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

The guy looks hideous and "are rocks" comment indicates that the muscles are also useless. It is sad that he thought this would be beneficial to him.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.