FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Native Americans leave Adam Sandler movie

Post by FaxModem1 »

Indian County Today
Native Actors Walk off Set of Adam Sandler Movie After Insults to Women, Elders

Vincent Schilling
4/23/15
Approximately a dozen Native actors and actresses, as well as the Native cultural advisor, left the set of Adam Sandler’s newest film production, The Ridiculous Six, on Wednesday. The actors, who were primarily from the Navajo nation, left the set after the satirical western’s script repeatedly insulted native women and elders and grossly misrepresented Apache culture.

The examples of disrespect included Native women’s names such as Beaver’s Breath and No Bra, an actress portraying an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe, and feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee.

Actor Loren Anthony stands next to a seated Adam Sandler on the set of 'Ridiculous Six.' Photo source: instagram.com/lorenanthonyActor Loren Anthony stands next to a seated Adam Sandler on the set of 'Ridiculous Six.' Photo source: instagram.com/lorenanthony
The film, which is said to be a spoof of The Magnificent Seven and was written by Adam Sandler and his frequent collaborator Tim Herlihy, is currently under production by Happy Madison Productions for a Netflix-only release. The movie will star Adam Sandler, Nick Nolte, Steve Buscemi, Dan Aykroyd, Jon Lovitz and Vanilla Ice.

Among the actors who walked off the set were Navajo Nation tribal members Loren Anthony, who is also the lead singer of the metal band Bloodline, and film student Allison Young. Anthony says that though he understands the movie is a comedy, the portrayal of the Apache was severely negligent and the insults to women were more than enough reason to walk off the set.

“There were about a dozen of us who walked off the set,” said Anthony, who told ICTMN he had initially refused to do the movie. He then agreed to take the job when producers informed him they had hired a cultural consultant and efforts would be made for tasteful representation of Natives.

Actor Loren Anthony gears up for a fight scene with Nick Nolte, who is visible over his shoulder, on the set of 'Ridiculous Six.' Photo source: Image source: instagram.com/lorenanthonyActor Loren Anthony gears up for a fight scene with Nick Nolte, who is visible over his shoulder, on the set of 'Ridiculous Six.' Photo source: Image source: instagram.com/lorenanthony
“I was asked a long time ago to do some work on this and I wasn't down for it. Then they told me it was going to be a comedy, but it would not be racist. So I agreed to it but on Monday things started getting weird on the set,” he said.

Anthony says he was first insulted that the movie costumes that were supposed to portray Apache were significantly incorrect and that the jokes seemed to get progressively worse.

"We were supposed to be Apache, but it was really stereotypical and we did not look Apache at all. We looked more like Comanche," he said. "One thing that really offended a lot of people was that there was a female character called Beaver's breath. One character says 'Hey, Beaver's Breath.' And the Native woman says, 'How did you know my name?'"

“They just treated us as if we should just be on the side. When we did speak with the main director, he was trying to say the disrespect was not intentional and this was a comedy.”

"The producers just told us, 'If you guys are so sensitive, you should leave.'" —Alison Young

Allison Young, Navajo, a former film student from Dartmouth, was also offended by the stereotypes portrayed and the outright disrespect paid to her and others by the director and producers.

"When I began doing this film, I had an uneasy feeling inside of me and I felt so conflicted," she said. "I talked to a former instructor at Dartmouth and he told me to take this as finally experiencing stereotyping first hand. We talked to the producers about our concerns. They just told us, 'If you guys are so sensitive, you should leave.' I was just standing there and got emotional and teary-eyed. I didn’t want to cry but the feeling just came over me. This is supposed to be a comedy that makes you laugh. A film like this should not make someone feel this way.”

“Nothing has changed,” said Young. “We are still just Hollywood Indians.”

Goldie Tom also shared her frustrations with ICTMN. "I felt this was all really disrespectful," she said. "Our costumes did not portray Apache people. The consultant, Bruce spoke to the crew and told them we should not have braids and chokers and he was very disappointed. He asked to speak with Adam Sandler. We talked to the producers about other things in the script and they said 'It's in the script and we are not going to change it.' Overall, we were just treated disrespectfully, the spoke down to us and treated everyone with strong tones.”

74-year old David Hill, Choctaw, a member of the American Indian Movement, also left the set. "They were being disrespectful," he said. "They were bringing up those same old arguments that Dan Snyder uses in defending the Redskins. But let me tell you, our dignity is not for sale. It is a real shame because a lot of people probably stay because they need a job.”

Hill also mentioned that the producers called back the consultant as well as other native actors to their departure from the set on Wednesday.

“I hope they will listen to us," Hill said. "We understand this is a comedy, we understand this is humor, but we won’t tolerate disrespect. I told the director if he had talked to a native woman the way they were talked to in this movie—I said I would knock his ass out.”

“This isn’t my first rodeo, if someone doesn’t speak up, no one will.”

Neither Adam Sandler nor anyone for Happy Madison Productions responded to our attempts in reaching out to them for comment.

Follow ICTMN Correspondent Vincent Schilling (Akwesasne Mohawk) on Twitter www.twitter.com/VinceSchilling

Read more at http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.c ... ers-160110
While I'm not surprised at all that an Adam Sandler film is so crass the extras leave the set en masse, I do wonder what the point of a film consultant is, if they aren't even going to be listened to.

Is the sole purpose of a film consultant, whether for history, culture, race, nation, etc. just so that the movie studio can say that had one during filming?
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: Native Americans leave Adam Sandler movie

Post by Esquire »

In a word, yes. Studios will always cater to the lowest common denominator because that's where the money is, and that demographic doesn't care about offending minorities.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Then what's the point of having a consultant for the movie at all? Wouldn't it be cheaper to not hire them and just do what you want without paying the money for somebody on the side complaining about what you're doing?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

FaxModem1 wrote:Is the sole purpose of a film consultant, whether for history, culture, race, nation, etc. just so that the movie studio can say that had one during filming?
In a word yes. The point is to persuade more people to come by making them think the movie is going to be less stupid than it was.
Personally I found this video illuminating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFFLvwNLlM
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

FaxModem1 wrote:Then what's the point of having a consultant for the movie at all? Wouldn't it be cheaper to not hire them and just do what you want without paying the money for somebody on the side complaining about what you're doing?
Because then they wouldn't be making efforts to be aware of any potentially offensive content
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Purple wrote:The point is to persuade more people to come by making them think the movie is going to be less stupid than it was.
Then why allow Adam Sandler within several miles of the set?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Zaune wrote:
Purple wrote:The point is to persuade more people to come by making them think the movie is going to be less stupid than it was.
Then why allow Adam Sandler within several miles of the set?
Because he makes studios money
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

There are enough Native Americans left to fill a movie theater?

But seriously, Natives seem to be like the last race of people it's OK to say whatever the fuck you want about and no one seems to give a shit. It's pathetic.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Slight update, according to All Things Considered, some of the Apache actors stayed on set so that they could support their families, with the hopes that one day, their kids wouldn't have to do this sort of thing.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Almost want to make one cry since they were doing this crap back in the 19th Century in those Cowboy vs Indian shows.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

I wish I could say that humiliating Native Americans and ridiculing their culture was the worst thing that was happening to them. To be an American today and not be ashamed of our continued neglect of Native people is surely a sign of ignorance.

As to the use of a film consultant, I'd speculate that part of their job would be as a liason between pissed off extras and the producers. It's amazing how calming it can be to believe that there is someone on your side that can relay your concerns to those in charge - even if it yields no results.
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

KroLazuxy_87 wrote:As to the use of a film consultant, I'd speculate that part of their job would be as a liason between pissed off extras and the producers. It's amazing how calming it can be to believe that there is someone on your side that can relay your concerns to those in charge - even if it yields no results.
Film consultants have nothing to do with extras(though they might in this particular case, given that both represent the same group). Their role all too often simply to rubber stamp the production so that they can say that they had a consultant. See the video that Purple posted.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Almost want to make one cry since they were doing this crap back in the 19th Century in those Cowboy vs Indian shows.
I believe that was the point of the movie... That it was supposed to be somewhat of a parody of those types of movies. I could see being upset if this was supposed to be some sort of historical drama, but not a comedy show. Historically inaccurate details, and inaccurate stereotypes are likely part of the joke, and I'm sure its hardly confined to the native American aspects of the movie. Bitching because the Apache aren't represented with historical accuracy in such a movie seems rather asinine. So yeah, I could understand the producers saying "if you're that sensitive about it, you should leave".
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

TheHammer wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:Almost want to make one cry since they were doing this crap back in the 19th Century in those Cowboy vs Indian shows.
I believe that was the point of the movie... That it was supposed to be somewhat of a parody of those types of movies. I could see being upset if this was supposed to be some sort of historical drama, but not a comedy show. Historically inaccurate details, and inaccurate stereotypes are likely part of the joke, and I'm sure its hardly confined to the native American aspects of the movie. Bitching because the Apache aren't represented with historical accuracy in such a movie seems rather asinine. So yeah, I could understand the producers saying "if you're that sensitive about it, you should leave".
On the other hand, you don't see how it might be offensive to ask Native American actors to portray extreme racially-charged parodies of their own cultures? You wouldn't see something wrong with a production asking black actors to put on loincloths, bones through their noses, and play cannibals in the African jungle? Because that's basically the situation they're being put into.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Elheru Aran wrote:
TheHammer wrote:
On the other hand, you don't see how it might be offensive to ask Native American actors to portray extreme racially-charged parodies of their own cultures? You wouldn't see something wrong with a production asking black actors to put on loincloths, bones through their noses, and play cannibals in the African jungle? Because that's basically the situation they're being put into.
Extreme parodies are the point. You make it an extreme parody so that people don't take it seriously. Its hardly unique to this movie. I'm quite certain there will be extreme parodies of wild west white settler behavior as well. No one is forcing them to work on the picture, but to act like its some "great offense" to Native Americans is asinine.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

So you would have no issue with asking African-American actors to play a modern-day version of this scene?

There's parody and then there's this shit.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Elheru Aran wrote:So you would have no issue with asking African-American actors to play a modern-day version of this scene?

*snip image*

There's parody and then there's this shit.
None whatsoever in the proper context. Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall any big outrage over this:

[img]http://jonathan_carpentier.tripod.com/ac2.jpg[/img]
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Tripod? Seriously? Do better.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Tell ya what, Hammer. After your entire race has been subjected to genocide followed by centuries of mistreatment we'll entertain your notion that Native Americans should just "get a sense of humor."

Their culture has been disrespected, stomped on, and even intentionally wiped out since Europeans first came over here. White people took land by force. White people tried to destroy the cultural identity of the native people. And succeeded in a lot of ways.

They have a damn good reason to be a bit touchy about massively insensitive portrayals of their entire culture and history. It isn't satire to show a group that has been literally subject to genocide as being backwards, animalistic savages. Especially when the person writing the jokes is a rich, white asshole. If Ron Howard (as an example) made a movie about Jews in Nazi Germany and threw in stereotypes galore people would be out for blood. The SS is coming to round up this Jewish family, but they gotta grab all their gold first! Or similar jokes.

Native American culture has been outright disrespected at best for centuries. People treat things they hold sacred as mere curiosities. They've got plenty of reason to be offended when a stereotype is being used to mock their culture, not to mock the bigots or the stereotypes themselves. Blazing Saddles works because the people who hold the power are the ones being mocked. The open-minded people, the minorities, they're the smartest people in the movie.

Punch up, not down. It doesn't matter who you are, if you're mocking Native American culture you're punching down. Because they're a powerless group that has been subjected to horrific abuses that get damn near ignored in US history classes and film portrayals.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Elheru Aran wrote:Tripod? Seriously? Do better.
Its not mine, I just linked it off a Google image search. Feel free to do your own if the image quality isn't to your specifications.
Napoleon the Clown wrote:Tell ya what, Hammer. After your entire race has been subjected to genocide followed by centuries of mistreatment we'll entertain your notion that Native Americans should just "get a sense of humor."

Their culture has been disrespected, stomped on, and even intentionally wiped out since Europeans first came over here. White people took land by force. White people tried to destroy the cultural identity of the native people. And succeeded in a lot of ways.

They have a damn good reason to be a bit touchy about massively insensitive portrayals of their entire culture and history. It isn't satire to show a group that has been literally subject to genocide as being backwards, animalistic savages. Especially when the person writing the jokes is a rich, white asshole. If Ron Howard (as an example) made a movie about Jews in Nazi Germany and threw in stereotypes galore people would be out for blood. The SS is coming to round up this Jewish family, but they gotta grab all their gold first! Or similar jokes.

Native American culture has been outright disrespected at best for centuries. People treat things they hold sacred as mere curiosities. They've got plenty of reason to be offended when a stereotype is being used to mock their culture, not to mock the bigots or the stereotypes themselves. Blazing Saddles works because the people who hold the power are the ones being mocked. The open-minded people, the minorities, they're the smartest people in the movie.

Punch up, not down. It doesn't matter who you are, if you're mocking Native American culture you're punching down. Because they're a powerless group that has been subjected to horrific abuses that get damn near ignored in US history classes and film portrayals.
Your "punching up/punching down" concept is rather hypocritical. Personally, I don't think you can have it both ways. You can't say "its okay to make fun of the current dominant culture, but don't make fun of that other culture because they've suffered". To paraphrase Southpark, its either all okay or none of it is.

Every cultural group has at some point in the long history of humanity has suffered. European cultures (Spanish, French, English, German, Italian) have their own cultural stereotypes that are routinely lampooned and no one bats an eye. I don't feel you grant some sort of special exemption to one group over another. Certainly there are lines that shouldn't in good taste be crossed, your Holocaust example being one of them.

But these:
The examples of disrespect included Native women’s names such as Beaver’s Breath and No Bra, an actress portraying an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe, and feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee.
Are hardly worth getting upset over. It might be shitty comedy but its not beyond the pale for anything done with any other culture before, and I'm betting its no worse than anything any other group will be depicted as doing in this movie.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

TheHammer wrote: Are hardly worth getting upset over.
Why, exactly, do you get to decide for other people what is worth getting upset over?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Because he obviously knows better than they do. God, can't you understand that someone who has never faced what Native Americans have faced knows what they should feel like? The Native American genocide was centuries ago! And the last time the US government broke a treaty was, um... *smokebomb*

Hammer doesn't comprehend that having your culture lumped together with many other cultures and treated as a novelty can result in being a wee bit touchy about your entire race being mocked. He's never been in a position where his entire culture was treated with an utter lack of respect. He has no idea what kind of heinous bullshit Native Americans have endured. Because the "wonderful" US education system downplays just how horrific it was. The classes pass things off as conflict over land, glossing over extermination orders. Who cares if entire tribes were annihilated? Get a sense of humor! Who cares if entire cultures were destroyed? Get a sense of humor! Who cares if even today people treat things sacred to Native Americans as quaint and silly? Get a sense of humor!

Or maybe he's aware but doesn't care.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:*snip*
Ding ding ding!
Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Why, exactly, do you get to decide for other people what is worth getting upset over?
That's my fucking opinion. Got a problem with it?

As I noted before, many cultural stereotypes of a similar nature routinely lampooned in comedy and no one bats a fucking eye. The Drunken Irishmen, the stiff Brit with bad teeth, the flamboyant pasta swilling Italian with mafia ties. Every single group has something.

Oh those groups all had it easy, so its okay because its "punching up".

Bullshit.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

DerHammer wrote:That's my fucking opinion. Got a problem with it?

As I noted before, many cultural stereotypes of a similar nature routinely lampooned in comedy and no one bats a fucking eye. The Drunken Irishmen, the stiff Brit with bad teeth, the flamboyant pasta swilling Italian with mafia ties. Every single group has something.

Bullshit.
Well, it has been explained to you why. Because the abuse of Native Americans is an ongoing thing but I don't expect you to understand. You are just a filthy shitbag who was born without a sense of empathy. That might also explain why you're such an admirer and defender of atrocities in general, you sociopathic jackass. Flayed any puppies today?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

TheHammer wrote:
Napoleon the Clown wrote:*snip*
Ding ding ding!
Ziggy Stardust wrote:
That's my fucking opinion. Got a problem with it?

Bullshit.
Hammer, come to my local and try impersonating a drunken irishman. It would not go down well. Eyelids would be batted.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee