vaginal piercing to be classified as Female genital mutilati

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

vaginal piercing to be classified as Female genital mutilati

Post by dragon »

This also covers cosmetic alteration such as labia reduction to covered as FGM.
Women with vaginal piercings are to be classed as victims of female genital mutilation (FGM), health chiefs have said.

Under new NHS rules to be introduced next month, any woman whose labia or clitoris has been pierced must be recorded as suffering FGM, a procedure which is illegal in the UK.

The mandatory reporting regulations were sent to medical staff by the Department of Health, which said it is would start classifying the piercings 'within an abusive context'.

It means that even women who have consented to the piercing for cosmetic reasons will be deemed as a potential victim of crime. Those responsible for carrying out the piercing could also be implicated for committing a criminal offence.

The new rules are in line with guidance from the World Health Organisation, which last year classified piercing as 'harmful procedures' that are considered under the bracket of FGM.

There is already much debate about whether genital surgery procedures such as so-called 'designer vagina' operations should be treated by as FGM.

Last week, MPs released a report which said police, midwives and campaigners remain confused over whether the operations fall within FGM laws.

Under the Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003, it is illegal to cut girls' genitals unless there is a genuine justification.

The exemptions in the Female Genital Mutilation Act 2003 refer to operations carried out on the grounds of physical or mental health and do not cover cosmetic surgery.

The Home Affairs Select Committee said the act should be amended to reiterate that female genital cosmetic surgery on those who do not have a physical or mental health justification is potentially illegal. The Government has previously said it has no plans to make these changes.

Some 170,000 women and girls are estimated to be living with FGM in the UK.

More than 2,600 women and girls who went through FGM have been treated by the NHS since last September, with 499 women and girls with FGM seen in acute NHS trusts in England in January alone.

More than 200 FGM-related cases were investigated by the police nationally in the past five years.

A Department of Health man said: 'While there are challenges in this area and adult women may have genital piercings, in some communities girls are forced to have them. The World Health Organisation has quite rightly defined this as a form of FGM.

'We are taking every precaution to record genital piercings that have been done within an abusive context.

'The new data collection will help build a picture of the scale and the nature of the problem we are facing. We are continually working on ways to improve and develop the NHS response to this terrible practice.'
The 'Because I am a Girl' campaign to tackle FGM (related)

link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: vaginal piercing to be classified as Female genital muti

Post by madd0ct0r »

A Department of Health man said: 'While there are challenges in this area and adult women may have genital piercings, in some communities girls are forced to have them. The World Health Organisation has quite rightly defined this as a form of FGM.

'We are taking every precaution to record genital piercings that have been done within an abusive context.

'The new data collection will help build a picture of the scale and the nature of the problem we are facing. We are continually working on ways to improve and develop the NHS response to this terrible practice.'
I think that explains it nicely.
1) We don't know the extent of the issue, so we need to get some data in order to work out where to go.
2) we're quite happy to scare piercings shops off doing this work on children.
3) it stops people trying to dodge anti-FGM laws by doing things like 'the piercing got terribly infected and required surgery'.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It sounds like a good idea (prevent FGM in children) that requires some tweaking (adult women can choose what to do with their bodies).
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Also, not to put too fine a point on it, but am I the only one who thinks the very concept of a "designer vagina" is profoundly silly?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Now I'm having the mental picture of a bearded, turbanned Muslim guy bringing in a little girl wearing a hijab and telling the nurse something along the lines of "Verily, this child did get a clitorial piercing, and alas, it went septic..."

That's my fucked up mind at work, though. And where the hell are little girls 'forced' to get genital piercings? WTF?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zaune wrote:Also, not to put too fine a point on it, but am I the only one who thinks the very concept of a "designer vagina" is profoundly silly?
No, it is profoundly silly. I've yet to meet a hetero man who refused to have sex with a woman because her vag lips were asymmetrical or a bit longer than usual.
Elheru Aran wrote:That's my fucked up mind at work, though. And where the hell are little girls 'forced' to get genital piercings? WTF?
The "piercing" may be related to infibulation. Using thorns, pins, or other such objects to close the "gap" is a variant on the practice.

Also, certain types of piercings can act as a sort of chastity belt.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

The Home Affairs Select Committee said the act should be amended to reiterate that female genital cosmetic surgery on those who do not have a physical or mental health justification is potentially illegal.
Why the fuck is there a mental health exemption? If there's something wrong with someone's mind that makes them think they need cosmetic surgery, the mind is the problem that needs to be fixed.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The "mental health" exception might be to allow transition surgery for transsexuals?

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Grumman wrote:
The Home Affairs Select Committee said the act should be amended to reiterate that female genital cosmetic surgery on those who do not have a physical or mental health justification is potentially illegal.
Why the fuck is there a mental health exemption? If there's something wrong with someone's mind that makes them think they need cosmetic surgery, the mind is the problem that needs to be fixed.
"Something wrong with someone's mind" can be, say, transsexualism or any number of potency problems. How do you exactly say they need to be fixed? By locking in a monastery with cold showers? :roll:
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Broomstick wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:That's my fucked up mind at work, though. And where the hell are little girls 'forced' to get genital piercings? WTF?
The "piercing" may be related to infibulation. Using thorns, pins, or other such objects to close the "gap" is a variant on the practice.

Also, certain types of piercings can act as a sort of chastity belt.
Probably, but it's still over-broad since it covers clitoral piercings.

Also, there's (almost) no such thing as a "clitoral" piercing, it's a clitoral hood peircing 99% of the time.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Well, there you go - clitoral HOOD piercing isn't explicitly forbidden.

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Sargon of Akkad is harshly critical of this policy, as seen here.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Listening to random snippets from "Sargon's" commentary, he's a babbling idiot too self-righteous to comprehend what other people are saying.

Ah well, I guess even a stopped chronometer is right once in a millenium.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov