Borgholio visits a battleship! (56k die, I'm serious).

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Borgholio visits a battleship! (56k die, I'm serious).

Post by Borgholio »

Went with the wife yesterday to Long Beach to visit the USS Iowa BB-61. I've been on warships before (ex-Sea Cadet) but nothing nearly as impressive as an actual battleship. Here are some of the highlights.

First looks at the old girl driving through the parking lot.

Closeups while preparing to board.

Really big guns.

With my wife to scale. She's about 5'4.

16" shell. This weighs over 1900 pounds and can be thrown 25 miles away. There are heavier shells that weigh over 2700 pounds. We're talking about naval artillery that can lob a Smart car over the horizon.

Different kinds of ammo for the guns. Take note of the stats on the Armor Piercing. The Firecracker scares the shit out of me almost as much as the nuke shell.

A shell + powder bags. This is what would be loaded into the gun at the rate of one shot every 30 seconds or less.

Armored periscope for the gun crew.

Senior officer quarters.

Shell loading hatch. Goes from the upper deck down to the magazines.

Japanese shore batteries scored a couple of hits on Iowa. One 6" shell struck the gun turret and literally bounced off. You need an arrow to see the miniscule dent that it created.

Accident in 1989 almost blew up the ship's magazines. Survived all of World War 2 only to be blown up by a training accident. Yeah, that would suck. :(

5" dual purpose (Anti-ship / Anti-air) gun turrets.

Captain's Quarters, where Roosevelt planned strategy with the chiefs of staff.

Roosevelt's Quarters. Iowa carried him across the Atlantic to North Africa to meet with Stalin and Churchill. Due to his polio, they had a bathtub installed just for him. The only battleship in history with an actual bathtub. :)

While dwarfed by the container ships and cruise ships nearby, Iowa is still a very long ship.

Inside one of the 5" gun turrets.

Took 30 men to operate just one of these things, and they have 6 of them (10 in the WW-2 configuration)

While not having the range of the main guns, the 5-inchers could still hit out to the horizon. If this gun went off right now, it could easily take out the white dome at the top of the hills in the background.

Searchlight with Morse-code lever. Yes, the lever still works and the flaps still move. Yes I tried it. Wouldn't you? :)

The admiral's flag bridge. While the other battleships had accommodations for admirals, the Iowa was the only one of the class actually set up to be a fleet command ship.

Comfortable chair.

Make it so.

Armored conning tower. 17" thick solid steel armor. Look at that fucking door.

Inside the conning tower. Those brass periscopes are so Steampunk-ish.

The main bridge.

View from the bridge.

Radar gun director for the 5" guns.

Phalanx.

Chaff.

Aft funnel.

Harpoon missile launchers.

Hope the fuel didn't leak THAT often...

Tomahawk missile launcher.

Aft 16" gun director.

Crew quarters.

A Harpoon missile.

Battleship gun barrels wear out after awhile due to the immense stresses they experience. This is an actual section of a gun barrel that was used during World War 2 and Korea. Nearly 1,000 rounds of ammo were fired through this barrel before it was replaced.

Aft 16" gun.

Google can auto-stitch several images into a pano image. I did not know this, but I like the results.

So overall, fun trip. The ship was a bit smaller than I expected to be honest, but the guns were much bigger. I definitely felt safe inside that ship, and I could see why battleships were the pride and joy of navies for a century. Even with vending machines, a gift shop, and children running around, it still feels menacing and deadly. I certainly would not want to engage one of these things in combat. I mean my wife and I had lunch at a nice seafood place about 20 minutes away from the Iowa, and we were STILL within range of it's guns. That's actually kinda spooky.

I have many more pics of the ship including various hallways, plaques, instruments and gauges, and things like that. So let me know if you want me to post anything else.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Borgholio visits a battleship! (56k die, I'm serious).

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I am very jealous. Seeing one of the Iowas is about number 3 on my bucket list. Too bad I live in the UK where all we have is a light cruiser.

Also, I don't care what people say, the old battleships and cruisers look so much prettier than modern destroyers and frigates.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Thank you so much for the pictures Borgholio. I've visited the battleship in Mobile, Alabama, but I really want to see the Iowa sometime.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Too bad I live in the UK where all we have is a light cruiser.
I was actually rather surprised that no British battleships were saved as museum pieces when I just now looked it up. I would surely have expected that the King George V or the Vanguard would have survived. But still, you have other ships of great historic value. Warrior and Victory come to mind.
Also, I don't care what people say, the old battleships and cruisers look so much prettier than modern destroyers and frigates.
I very much agree. I've sailed on frigates and destroyers before. They're basically mobile missile platforms with lots of radars and that's about it. Aside from the Zumwalts, most modern ships are boxy and ugly. Old big-gun warships were really sleek-looking. Even sitting at dock, Iowa looked fast.
Thank you so much for the pictures Borgholio.
My pleasure!
I've visited the battleship in Mobile, Alabama, but I really want to see the Iowa sometime.
The Iowas are basically upgraded versions of the South Dakotas (such as the USS Alabama that you saw). They're a hundred feet longer and have bigger guns. Definitely impressive. But Alabama is more interesting in a way, since she still has her original World War 2 armament. The Iowas went through modifications in the 80's so some of the old gear was stripped off and replaced with missile launchers and such.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yeah we were a tad shortsighted on that one. We have HMS Belfast anchored on the Thames, which is a pretty ship and a good visit, and we have Warrior and Victory down in Portsmouth, but it's not quite the same as one of the big gun battleships.

I feel I should qualify my previous remark about appearance. A very few modern ships look pretty. The Type 45 destroyers we have for instance.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The Type 45 destroyers we have for instance.
Oh yes one of those stealth destroyers? Yeah that's a good looking one. Same idea as a Zumwalt just not as extreme.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I dunno if it's actually a "stealth destroyer" but apparently it's hard to see on radar, so yeah.

Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Thanks for sharing, I'd love to visit a BB at some point! Those guns are massive.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Borgholio wrote:I would surely have expected that the King George V or the Vanguard would have survived.
We were broke at the time, and converting a 50,000 ton ship into a museum and maintaining it is an expensive business. Besides, if I could pick any ship to keep, without considering cost, it would be Warspite rather than KGV or Vanguard.
The Iowas are basically upgraded versions of the South Dakotas (such as the USS Alabama that you saw). They're a hundred feet longer and have bigger guns.
Nitpick - the Iowas and the SoDaks have the same main and secondary armament, and the same protection IIRC. The only real difference is that the Iowas are 5-6 knots faster.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Captain Seafort wrote:
Borgholio wrote:I would surely have expected that the King George V or the Vanguard would have survived.
We were broke at the time, and converting a 50,000 ton ship into a museum and maintaining it is an expensive business. Besides, if I could pick any ship to keep, without considering cost, it would be Warspite rather than KGV or Vanguard.
My god yes. That ship was epic.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

These are very nice pictures. Needless to say I am very jealous.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Incidentally, what camera were you using?

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Nitpick - the Iowas and the SoDaks have the same main and secondary armament, and the same protection IIRC. The only real difference is that the Iowas are 5-6 knots faster.
Even more minor nitpick - The Iowas did have slightly bigger guns. Both the Iowas and South Dakotas had 16" barrels, but the SD guns were 45 caliber and the Iowas were 50 caliber. This gave the Iowas another thousand yards of range give or take. But you're quite right, the armor was the same. Iowas were lengthened by a hundred feet to give it those extra 5 knots so they could keep up with the carriers easier. :)
My god yes. That ship was epic.
The QE class ship? Yeah she was literally all over the world through both of the wars. She would have made a great history piece.
These are very nice pictures. Needless to say I am very jealous.
Don't you come out this way from time to time, Thanas? The Iowa tour is only about $16 and takes a couple hours. If you are ever in the Long Beach area I highly suggest you take it.
Incidentally, what camera were you using?
13mp smartphone camera. Nothing special. Has a widescreen lens though which is very nice.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

That is very freaking cool. I've always wanted to visit a battleship but have yet to do so.

I have visited a WWII landing ship that had docked near my work and that thing was plenty impressive itself. It was longer then most of the buildings that it was near were tall.

Not my pics but from the same event. I could easily be one of the people in the crowd. Just look for the slightly rotund fellow wearing a black t-shirt probably with something Star Wars on it and camo pants and looking thoroughly uncomfortable being around so many people.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I noticed the classic car on deck in the first pic. That's...random. :)
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

It was an old Jeep. They actually had quite a few vintage vehicles and some equipment.

better pic of Jeep
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Oh yes I see now. Neat. That's the kind of stuff it would normally have carried anyways. :)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Borgholio, thank you for sharing. As to the differences between the Iowas and the SoDaks, Friedman noted "Ten thousand tons was a very great deal to pay for 6 knots." However it should also be noted that the Iowas were considered much more comfortable and less cramped ships than the SoDaks.

The reason that Iowa had the flag bridge is that even when she was being designed, it was anticipated that the Iowas would operate as a group against opposing (Japanese) battleships, and Iowa was to lead said group (just as South Dakota was to lead her group).

Another fun fact is that the Iowas represent the only time an entire multi-ship class of warships has been preserved.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Borgholio, thank you for sharing. As to the differences between the Iowas and the SoDaks, Friedman noted "Ten thousand tons was a very great deal to pay for 6 knots." However it should also be noted that the Iowas were considered much more comfortable and less cramped ships than the SoDaks.
Indeed, the Iowas had some doubters because the South Dakotas were still quite capable ships. But the Essex class carriers could outrun them easily so that extra 6 knots was needed if the Iowas were to keep up. In fact, that's why they cancelled the Montana class that was supposed to come after the Iowas. The Montanas were beasts but they were slow, so there was no point.
Another fun fact is that the Iowas represent the only time an entire multi-ship class of warships has been preserved.
That's a neat fact, I didn't know that. I wonder if part of that is the Iowas were the most capable battleships we've ever had and were worth keeping around rather than breaking up for scrap. Then when it came time to make them into museums, all four ships were still available.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Joun_Lord wrote:That is very freaking cool. I've always wanted to visit a battleship but have yet to do so.

I have visited a WWII landing ship that had docked near my work and that thing was plenty impressive itself. It was longer then most of the buildings that it was near were tall.
That looks an awful lot like LST 325 for being in West Virginia. :wink:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Awesome pics! I took the inlaws to the USS Wisconsin this past weekend. I am lucky in that I live a few hundred yards away from her berth, so she is my view when I walk to and from my car every morning/afternoon.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Patroklos wrote:Awesome pics! I took the inlaws to the USS Wisconsin this past weekend. I am lucky in that I live a few hundred yards away from her berth, so she is my view when I walk to and from my car every morning/afternoon.
I wish my commute was that scenic. :)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Borgholio wrote:In fact, that's why they cancelled the Montana class that was supposed to come after the Iowas. The Montanas were beasts but they were slow, so there was no point.
It's one reason. Another is that cancelling the Montanas opened up draftsmen and drafting space at the New York Navy Yard (NYNY) - men and space that were critically needed for the Midway class carriers. A third is that the Montanas would have required a lot of armor grade steel, and by removing them from planned production, that effort could be used elsewhere.
Borgholio wrote:That's a neat fact, I didn't know that. I wonder if part of that is the Iowas were the most capable battleships we've ever had and were worth keeping around rather than breaking up for scrap. Then when it came time to make them into museums, all four ships were still available.
It's a combination of that and a weird quirk of history. In the late 1940s all of the battleships (except for Missouri) were put into mothballs. When the Korean War started in 1950, it was easier (and less expensive) to expand the logistical train for the Iowa class (because Missouri was in service as a training ship) than it was restart the train for the South Dakotas (even though the SoDaks had at the time 400 fewer crew members). It was the effort put into the ships for the Korean War reactivation combined with their speed that allowed them to survive when the rest of the battleships were struck from the naval register in the early 1960s.
Last edited by Thanas on 2015-03-17 07:26pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: DP deleted upon request.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Great pictures!
Borgholio wrote: I was actually rather surprised that no British battleships were saved as museum pieces when I just now looked it up. I would surely have expected that the King George V or the Vanguard would have survived. But still, you have other ships of great historic value. Warrior and Victory come to mind.
The problem is the only British battleship anyone had any great interest in saving shortly after WW2 was HMS Warspite but she had so much unrepaired war damage and was in such bad material condition beyond that saving her was impossible. Meanwhile almost all prewar ships were rapidly scrapped without much fanfare, afterall the world wars were still fresh in the minds eye. Many people didn't want to be reminded.

....so nothing happened for a while and folks all around the world went along with scrapping warships as they always had, the idea of museum ships not really having emerged except a bare few kept as trophies for specific battles. Then in the late 1950s and early 1960s everyone in NATO engaged in massive scrapping of all the 'good' wartime ships that had been kept in reserve, and that demolished almost everything that was left. In the US though it did see the start of the modern (and FAR EXCESSIVE AND BADLY FUNDED) attempts to save ships, and enough money was mustered to get the first protected.

An attempt was made to save HMS Vanguard, but as she had never fired a shot in action it didn't gain the required traction and almost all the more memorial ships had already gone to the breakers. The UK remember was very poor in this period, with rationing of some items going well into the 1950s.

HMS Belfast survived because she was still in action commission until 1963, leaving service just as the mass scrappings were ending, she was in good condition (and prewar built, wartime British ships were typically horrible on purpose to speed up the work) and not of excessive size. She was a sort of last grasp for some RN wartime history grabbed by an emerging movement.

At the time HMS Victory had long been preserved due to the 'decisive super victory' thing, but HMS Warrior only survived because she was actually being used as a floating breakwater and oil terminal for small boats into the 1970s.
TimothyC wrote:
Horrible fact frankly. There isn't enough money for all these ships, and keeping four of the exact same thing is completely retarded. I doubt all four will still be open in a decade once the real costs of preservation start adding up, but in the meanwhile I have no doubt that they are draining money away from existing ships almost none of which are able to generate enough income to actually be considered 'preserved' as opposed to simply rusting slower.

It'd do history a great favor if someone scuttled three of the Iowa's right now before they can cause even worse decay, and for the love of god the JFK had been not become another money pit.. but its well on track to that now. Everyone enjoy these ships while you can, because unless something radical happens most museum ships in the US are going to end up scrapped anyway. The situation really just sucks. I know you know it, but most people seem to think the US government picks up the tab for these ships.... and it sure doesn't.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Sea Skimmer wrote: Horrible fact frankly. There isn't enough money for all these ships, and keeping four of the exact same thing is completely retarded.

Eh, isn't like the West Coast is packed with museum ships like the East Coast is. Hell, the Mo is all the way off in HI. One battleship in CA and two aircraft carriers seperated by hundreds of miles is hardly saturation levels.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."