Jeremy Clarkson suspended from Top Gear

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Jeremy Clarkson suspended from Top Gear

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

LaCroix wrote:
Thanas wrote:The ones who messed up are the crew themselves, for they went far over the time allotted for shooting. They were supposed to come in at dinner time, they came in past midnight. It is all in the articles.
And he had his quarrel with the crew. To be precise, the producer - THE person responsible for the situation of them being out there all day and not getting dinner.
What a goddamned crybaby. There are probably millions of workers around the world whose workdays run unreasonably late for various reasons, causing them to have to settle for a cold sandwich for dinner, and they don't fly off the handle and punch their co-workers in the face and then verbally abuse them for half an hour. Those who do, usually have every expectation that their employer is going to fire their asses.
Not as if a grumpy old person getting angry with people was something uncommon. The producer himself didn't even file the complaint, if I got it right.
No, he didn't file a complaint. However, bear in mind that Clarkson also verbally abused him for half an hour, threatening to have him fired. It's likely the producer kept mum out of fear for his job.
As a criminal case, he'd probably got off with a warning to learn to keep his temper in check. It's just that it was within the work environment which caused this to be a scandal, for BBC publicity reasons.
When you go to a workplace, you should have every expectation that your co-workers aren't going to physically and verbally assault you just because they've had a long day at work. You should also have every expectation that if a co-worker crosses that line, that they won't be your co-worker for much longer.

Even if Jeremy Clarkson wasn't a raging asshole, the BBC's only option would still have been to terminate his employment with them once their investigation revealed that, yes, he physically assaulted his producer. The fact that he is a raging asshole who seems to have always just managed to avoid getting terminated for repeatedly embarrassing his employer is merely icing on the cake.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

LaCroix wrote:
Thanas wrote:The ones who messed up are the crew themselves, for they went far over the time allotted for shooting. They were supposed to come in at dinner time, they came in past midnight. It is all in the articles.
And he had his quarrel with the crew. To be precise, the producer - THE person responsible for the situation of them being out there all day and not getting dinner.
They still had some options for dinner. Just not the full menu, because the kitchen staff left two hours before they arrived. They were late for dinner because Clarkson, Hammond and May screwed over the schedule by spending 3 hours drinking in a pub before coming back to the hotel.

Was there anything more the producer could have done ?
Mr Bean wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:
On that note, if Clarkson is picked up by someone else, are the people forced to work with him likely to be able to get any protection from him attacking them ?
Do you think he's a rabid dog? He's managed fifty odd years without randomly punching co-workers, he got angry and did something he should not have he did not contract punch-itus.
I wasn't thinking he would do this regularly. Just that if he's done this once, in an environment where people below him don't complain, it seems likely it will happen again unless someone else takes steps to stop it. Which is still probably an overreaction on my part.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

LaCroix wrote: And he had his quarrel with the crew. To be precise, the producer - THE person responsible for the situation of them being out there all day and not getting dinner. If he were having a quarrel with he restaurant team, it would have been definately been a worse situation, but he was arguing with exactly the person responsible. But here, he argued with the producer who got them into that situation, probably got lip, gave lip, and it went out of hand from there.

Not as if a grumpy old person getting angry with people was something uncommon. The producer himself didn't even file the complaint, if I got it right. As a criminal case, he'd probably got off with a warning to learn to keep his temper in check. It's just that it was within the work environment which caused this to be a scandal, for BBC publicity reasons.
Who drank over the schedule again? Just checking now. Usually we don't use drinking as an excuse on this forum but...this would be a first...
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Gaidin wrote:
LaCroix wrote: And he had his quarrel with the crew. To be precise, the producer - THE person responsible for the situation of them being out there all day and not getting dinner. If he were having a quarrel with he restaurant team, it would have been definately been a worse situation, but he was arguing with exactly the person responsible. But here, he argued with the producer who got them into that situation, probably got lip, gave lip, and it went out of hand from there.

Not as if a grumpy old person getting angry with people was something uncommon. The producer himself didn't even file the complaint, if I got it right. As a criminal case, he'd probably got off with a warning to learn to keep his temper in check. It's just that it was within the work environment which caused this to be a scandal, for BBC publicity reasons.
Who drank over the schedule again? Just checking now. Usually we don't use drinking as an excuse on this forum but...this would be a first...
I went back and looked at the reports - ther is one line that stated that he had been delaying the crew. I couldn't see if that was confirmed, but if it is correct, than I do agree that it was his own fault.

And, just reminding you guys - I'm not saying he shouldn't get fired for this. Go back and read my first post here - I fully agree with that this is the only way to solve the situation he manouvered himself into by being an irresponsible buffoon.
I'm just not ok with the level of hate aimed at him for something that is, while clearly wrong, not something he's having a habit of doing, but a lapse of behavior with some mitigating factors (old person, long day, tired, low blood sugar, and now that I read up, probably a good bit of alcohol, as well).
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Jeremy Clarkson celebrates sacking with star-studded party. It's a long article and most of it is covering stuff we already knew and/or isn't interesting, like him having rich friends. So I won't quote the entire article, but there are some interesting bits in it.\
North Yorkshire Police said today it has a duty to investigate 'where we believe an offence might have been committed' as experts claimed the Clarkson, 54, may be charged with actual bodily harm.

Mr Clarkson has not been interviewed but officers have asked to speak to Mr Tymon to see if he would like the presenter prosecuted for punching him.

But detectives could still pursue the case even if the producer refuses to complain about being punched.

The force said it was investigating after complaints from 'concerned members of the public' because 'no-one at the hotel during the incident came forward,' a spokesman said.

Former Scotland Yard chief inspector Peter Kirkham believes he may be charged with ABH or common assault, which has a maximum sentence of six months in prison.
6 months is the maximum sentence, and the police can prosecute even if Tymon doesn't press charges.
There is now a bidding war for Clarkson's services, who is likely to take Richard Hammond and James May with him, but despite Rupert Murdoch calling his sacking 'stupid' it appears Sky will not take him on.
Sky are said to have pulled out of the race to sign the star, 54, for a new driving show because bosses fear he is no longer family friendly.
A Sky senior source told RadioTimes.com today that the broadcaster was 'not interested' in signing him, adding: 'We couldn't put Jeremy Clarkson on any Sky channels, especially those which are part of a family package deal and then face another controversy round the corner'.

But it may be Netflix - which has a £3.4billion programming budget - who may be best placed to woo Clarkson.

Industry insiders believe that he would be give him complete control of any new Top Gear-inspired show.

The online subscription video service does not depend on advertising income, so would allow him free rein to make controversial remarks about cars, without the risk of offending customers.
It sounds like the BBC tolerated a lot more coming out of Clarkson's mouth than Sky can.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

LaCroix wrote: I went back and looked at the reports - ther is one line that stated that he had been delaying the crew. I couldn't see if that was confirmed, but if it is correct, than I do agree that it was his own fault.

And, just reminding you guys - I'm not saying he shouldn't get fired for this. Go back and read my first post here - I fully agree with that this is the only way to solve the situation he manouvered himself into by being an irresponsible buffoon.
I'm just not ok with the level of hate aimed at him for something that is, while clearly wrong, not something he's having a habit of doing, but a lapse of behavior with some mitigating factors (old person, long day, tired, low blood sugar, and now that I read up, probably a good bit of alcohol, as well).
All things being equal the fact that the delay was his fault was icing on the cake. The idea that a producer gets jumped and is scared he's going to be fired after getting jumped says all I need to know about Clarkson's way of running things.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

bilateralrope wrote:It sounds like the BBC tolerated a lot more coming out of Clarkson's mouth than Sky can.
The BBC doesn't have advertisers to appease.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Zaune wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:It sounds like the BBC tolerated a lot more coming out of Clarkson's mouth than Sky can.
Exactly. So who else would be able to take Clarkson ?

Netflix is one. Are there any others worth mentioning ?
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

bilateralrope wrote:
Zaune wrote:

Netflix is one. Are there any others worth mentioning ?
Amazon might, if they're really serious about being a content producer and not just a content provider. That would be an enormous get.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Netflix, Amazon and the group behind Hulu

Technically also HBO

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

North Yorkshire Police said today it has a duty to investigate 'where we believe an offence might have been committed' as experts claimed the Clarkson, 54
Clarkson is 54? Jeez, I thought he was 74! :shock:
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Zaune wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:The BBC doesn't have advertisers to appease.
Anyone whose target audience isn't going to be too outraged by what he says. Duck Dynasty is still around, so maybe Discovery could take them with little hassle.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Chris Evans is the new front man. Really do hope he keeps the breakfast show as well. I fear a reign of terror under Vanessa Felts if he goes!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Oh god why.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

They should just have let it die. Top Gear without the trio is just not going to work. It's going to end up like those australian and american knockoffs.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Top Gear existed before the Trio. It could do well without them. So long as it doesn't try to be just the same with new faces. It needs to find a new style to suit the new host(s?)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Crazedwraith wrote:Top Gear existed before the Trio. It could do well without them. So long as it doesn't try to be just the same with new faces. It needs to find a new style to suit the new host(s?)
At which point it won't be Top Gear no more but some other show about cars with the same name.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The show Top Gear went through cast and format changes before and was still called Top Gear. The question is, will this new change be as entertaining as the last one.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Update: Clarkson, May, and Hammond will have their new program on Amazon.

Interesting. That's a huge get for Amazon, and in ensures that the show can be essentially the same (no sponsors to worry about, etc.).
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I wonder what was included in the contract to make sure that Clarkson stays on his best behavior?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

It's Amazon, it's not like they need to care about advertisers when they just gained a whole new load of subscribers who are just coming for 'Top Gear'.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Indeed. I find it amusing that BBC will be continuing making Top Gear. I wonder if they'll have to re-think that now that the three silly idiots are doing their own show with one of the former producers. Since those three were what made modern Top Gear fun to watch (even for me as a non-driving non-car enthusiast) I can't imagine the BBC version will be anywhere near as successful.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'm in the same boat, I don't have a license and don't especially intend to get one. I watch because they make cars and driving fun and I feel like the BBC is either going to try too hard to make the relaunch hip and fun or it'll be too stodgy and uptight to be worth anybodies time.