women shoots herself in face adjusting bra holster

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

women shoots herself in face adjusting bra holster

Post by dragon »

A Michigan woman accidentally shot herself to death last month while adjusting the .22-caliber revolver in her bra holster, police said Wednesday.

Christina Bond, 55, was struck in an eye in her St. Joseph home on New Year's Day. She died the next day in a Kalamazoo hospital, where she had been airlifted.

"She was having trouble adjusting her bra holster, couldn't get it to fit the way she wanted it to," St. Joseph Public Safety Director Mark Clapp told the Kalamazoo Gazette. "She was looking down at it and accidentally discharged the weapon."

No other details were released. Police are awaiting the full autopsy report.

Bond, a mother of two sons, was a bookkeeper and officer administrator for the Southwest Michigan Community Action Agency, and had previously had run the office for the Road to Life Church, The Herald-Palladium reported. She also ministered to inmates at the Berrien County Jail.

St. Joseph is on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, north of the Indiana line.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: women shoots herself in face adjusting bra holster

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Another tragic waste of life through misuse of a firearm. My sympathy is with the victim, her family, and her friends.

And what the fuck is a bra holster and who thinks its a good idea?
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

The Romulan Republic wrote:And what the fuck is a bra holster and who thinks its a good idea?
Concealed-carry enthusiasts with spectacular breasts, I'm guessing. The better question, in my opinion, is, "Who thought pointing the gun up in it was a good idea?"

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Raw Shark wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:And what the fuck is a bra holster and who thinks its a good idea?
Concealed-carry enthusiasts with spectacular breasts, I'm guessing. The better question, in my opinion, is, "Who thought pointing the gun up in it was a good idea?"
No one thought it was a good idea. Do a google search for "gun bra" and scroll past the news article of Molly McStupid violating, oh, at least three of the four laws of gun safety till you start seeing actual gun bras. The most common model is a gimmick called, get this, the FlashBang, because you have to lift your shirt like you're gonna flash dem titties, and your assailants all like "Ah, yessss... HOLYFUCK, SHE'S GOT A GUN IN DEM TITTIES! FLEE!". Basically it's a device that attaches to the little strap bit in the middle of the cleavage on a bra with the barrel resting snugly under the left or right breast (it's designed for lefties or righties). It's basically a cross-draw rig for women who want to look fashionable and still carry a gun.

In order for this negligent discharge (it's not a fucking accident, accidents don't happen, there is only intent and negligence), to happen, Molly McStupid there would have had to 1. forget that the un was loaded (First Rule violated!), her finger had to go into the trigger gaurd as there isn't anything else that could have actuated it (Second Rule violated!), and then she had to point the goddamn thing in an unsafe direction (at her own head, Third Law violated!).

Thankfully, the stupid resolved itself with no one hurt or killed besides the dumbass that couldn't follow four simple rules for safely operating firearms.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Another tragic waste of life through misuse of a firearm. My sympathy is with the victim, her family, and her friends.
I cannot sympathize with the victim. She did that to herself through whole-grain dumbass negligence. Her family, maybe, well, except for the dumbass that bought her a gun in the first place and then utterly failed to teach her how to safely operate it. THat guy can go fuck themselves with a rake.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I feel sorry for her family, that their mom/daughter/sister/friend committed Suicide by Stupidity. As Coffee says, WTF was she doing, adjusting the bra with a LOADED GUN in the holster?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Well if only there were a good guy with a gun this whole tragedy could have been avoided.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Mr. Coffee wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Another tragic waste of life through misuse of a firearm. My sympathy is with the victim, her family, and her friends.
I cannot sympathize with the victim. She did that to herself through whole-grain dumbass negligence. Her family, maybe, well, except for the dumbass that bought her a gun in the first place and then utterly failed to teach her how to safely operate it. THat guy can go fuck themselves with a rake.
I've never liked the idea that acting dumb means you deserve to die. Does one dumb choice invalidate the worth of a human life? That seems terribly callous and misanthropic to me.

But I have zero gun training and even I know what she did was a bad idea.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Given how well she managed to operate the holster under what should have been the safest possible conditions, does anybody really think that she'd have been able to effectively defend herself with that gun?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Jub wrote:Given how well she managed to operate the holster under what should have been the safest possible conditions, does anybody really think that she'd have been able to effectively defend herself with that gun?
I am not really sure that is the point. Civilian private gun ownership for self defense is not really a thing where I am from. So I am talking only from my impressions of conversations I had with gun owners online. But this being said the impression I got was that they don't actually expect to use it in self defense. People that do don't go for fancy stuff like this. Instead it's basically a security blanked that makes them feel safe and empowered and stuff. It's basically there to reassure them and give them peace of mind.

That is for those who see it as a self defense tool and not just a cool toy to play around with.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Purple wrote:
Jub wrote:Given how well she managed to operate the holster under what should have been the safest possible conditions, does anybody really think that she'd have been able to effectively defend herself with that gun?
I am not really sure that is the point. Civilian private gun ownership for self defense is not really a thing where I am from. So I am talking only from my impressions of conversations I had with gun owners online. But this being said the impression I got was that they don't actually expect to use it in self defense. People that do don't go for fancy stuff like this. Instead it's basically a security blanked that makes them feel safe and empowered and stuff. It's basically there to reassure them and give them peace of mind.

That is for those who see it as a self defense tool and not just a cool toy to play around with.
Yet that's the exact argument used for concealed carry because concealed carry has no use aside from defense.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Jub wrote:Yet that's the exact argument used for concealed carry because concealed carry has no use aside from defense.
And because of this it is easy to see how individuals who don't actually expect to be threatened and use the weapon in self defense would not be interested in actually learning how to use it safely. Instead they will get impressed with the mystique of their magical plastic brick that throws bolts of death and fire. It's not about: "I have a tool I can reasonably use for self defense." but "I have a GUNTM ergo I am an unassailable fortress!" And this kind of thing can easily lead to stupidity such as what happened here.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Possible comlication on that Coffee: ".22 revolver" makes me think it might be this gun. No trigger guard (though it is single action, meaning something or somebody would have to pull the hammer back before it would fire), so if the gun was caught on something, causing issues with bra fit, it could pull the hammer back as she adjusted it (not all that much force required, from experience), at which point very little force is required to bump the trigger to make it fire. Its advertising and instructions wouldn't have helped either--they talk about its "half cock" notch making it safe for loaded carry, but that's more to protect against drops firing it, not snags like this, which would pull the hammer back fully. Odd that it was pointed up though. You'd think with were the holes are in clothes you'd want the handle up, or at least sideways, so you can access it through the collar...

If I needed more reasons to not concealed carry, it'd certainly be making me think about how likely I was to use the thing for defense vs. how likely I was to shoot myself by accident with it.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Purple wrote:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head my Purple friend, only pretty stupid gun owners go for fancy unworkable shit or only carry wepons while never intending to use it. Most gun owners who carry I know of do so in the unlikely event they need to draw it and defend themselves. They (mostly) don't want to use it and will be quite happy never drawing their weapon to point at a person much less use it on someone.

Its akin to insurance. You might not need car, health or life insurance but you have it anyway just incase. A person who carries a firearm carries it just incase they need to defend themselves.

And like buying car insurance for a motorcycle when you only have a car, health insurance that doesn't cover smokers which you are, or health insurance that won't pay out for a pre-existing condition which you have, having a firearm with no intention of using it should you need to is just not smart.

Gun owners who have a bit of that brain meats keeping their heads from deflating will carry their weapons in simple but reliable holsters, don't carry anything stupid like a Desert Eagle, and when they go to a range to fire off some increasingly overly expensive ammo they train drawing and firing their weapon from its holster.

Though there is some differences between lady and dude gun owners. Wimmen folk being on average smaller and weaker then big burly strong He-Men are atleast in my opinion are ones who have the most reason to be carrying boom twigs. Now women gun owners, especially busty lasses, do have some trouble with guns. Obviously they will have trouble drawing and firing a weapon that no man save the really fat ass ones will have.

Such is why I won't dog the bra holster as I know of no lady gun owners who use it so I couldn't say reliably if it is reliable for a well endowed woman.

But whether or not it is is beside the point because as Mr Coffee so eloquently put it, the lady who deaded herself did so by way of her own stupidity and violation of fundamental gun safety rules that even airshitters armed with deadly $10 dollar Walmart guns can be arsed to follow, not the fault of her bra holster, the gun, or her boobs.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I've never liked the idea that acting dumb means you deserve to die. Does one dumb choice invalidate the worth of a human life? That seems terribly callous and misanthropic to me.
Except it ain't one dumbass choice. It was the end result of a series of dumbass decisions. There's using a gun with a shitty safety mechanism for concealed carry, using a dumbass carry system, then utterly failing at applying basic firearms safety rules. It's the equivalent of running into a busy highway at night, in a snowstorm, while wearing a black ninja suit. Of course you're gonna fucking die, the hell do you expect?
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

And what the fuck is a bra holster and who thinks its a good idea?
Formal and stylish women's clothing either has no pockets or teeny ones not large enough to hold a gun, much less conceal one. Meanwhile, there is this convenient space between the two titties....

As a retail worker I've been gobsmacked what women keep in their bras: money to pay for things (ewww! Boob sweat!), phones, make up, things I'd probably rather not know about...

Oh - and why am I not surprised the lady was a Republican Bible-thumper?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I've never liked the idea that acting dumb means you deserve to die. Does one dumb choice invalidate the worth of a human life? That seems terribly callous and misanthropic to me.

But I have zero gun training and even I know what she did was a bad idea.
Ok, let's run this down then.

1. Gun is loaded (hopefully safed) with the barrel under a breast (left or right does not matter here).

2. That gun was loaded, by her own hand presumably.

3. She moved the loaded, cocked gun from a horizontal position that did not flagg her to one that pointed right at her head.

4. Gun fired, she died.

Based on that we can conclude that she 1. violated the first rule of Firearms Safety: All guns are always loaded all the time, 2. Violated the second rule with her finger going inside of the trigger guard (Rule Two: Keep your finger outside of the trigger until sights are on target and you are ready to fire), and do not point a gun at anything you are unwilling to kill or destroy (here one head in this case).

She died by her own hand.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Regardless, its rather heartless and vicious to act like she deserved to die for acting dumb. Some people think human life is pretty cheap. But I've made my feelings clear and they aren't going to change, so I see little point in continuing this tangent.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

given the gun as dick metaphor, I'm not surpirsed someone though adding it to boobs adds to sex appeal.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

turns out she was a ex Navy military police. She should have known better.
An obituary of Ms. Bond says she was a veteran of the Navy, where she served in the Military Police, and notes:
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, that does not reflect well on the training, competency, and common sense of members of our armed forces, though of course one person does not represent the entire profession any more than one incident represents a person's entire life.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I have a problem with the idea of a bra holster. Women do not publicly display their bras on their body (barring Madonna and others who intend to titillate those who see them), meaning Bond will be wearing a shirt over her bra- and by consequence, the holster- meaning she cannot easily reach the gun if someone launches a surprise attack- the very situation for which one would carry a gun for self-defense!
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, that does not reflect well on the training, competency, and common sense of members of our armed forces, though of course one person does not represent the entire profession any more than one incident represents a person's entire life.
And it was 29 or so years ago (assuming she enlisted at 18, and "two terms" = 8 years) and who knows what she did in the meantime as far as continuing firearms practice.
Sidewinder wrote:I have a problem with the idea of a bra holster. Women do not publicly display their bras on their body (barring Madonna and others who intend to titillate those who see them), meaning Bond will be wearing a shirt over her bra- and by consequence, the holster- meaning she cannot easily reach the gun if someone launches a surprise attack- the very situation for which one would carry a gun for self-defense!
Go read Broomstick's post about all the other things women tend to carry in their bras, and are still able to access them. If the handle points up (which seems like the safest way to do it) a woman could theoretically reach into the top of her shirt and draw, just like with a wallet, cell phone, cigarette pack, and God knows what else they have tucked away in there.

Now granted some of the pictures shown do seem rather illogical, with the handle pointed "down" or "sideward" and I have no idea how they'd be practically reached in most situations. But I'm not a woman and I don't wear women's clothes so what do I know? Maybe Broomstick or another lady on the board can shed some insight into how that might work.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I do have a problem with the concept of a bra holster, as well. Most women I know sitch about the wires in the bra being uncomfortable - and all the pictures seem to show the holster attaching to the inside of the cup.

NSFW - woman in bra... http://i.ytimg.com/vi/77TGGEYhPnM/hqdefault.jpg

That seems painfully uncomfortable - I can totally see why someon might feel the need to adjust the thing , occasionally, and gets annoyed and careless after a few times having to keep the gun mashing the boob.

Also, it seems to only have one quite loose leather loop going around the center front gore, and can be rotated. I suppose it is worn wedged into the cup to keep it in position, as that loop certainly won't do that. That whole holster could conceivably just start to 'wander' in the bra if things get jiggly.

Cue the lady reaching into her cleavage to get all the things back to where it should be - she's looking down to see what she's doing only to have the last thing she sees be that the gun is currently pointing up instead to the side as her finger finds the trigger by accident, with enough pressure to engage.

tl;dr - these holsters are deathtraps.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

The only thing that really surprises me is that it wasn't in the south.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"