Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show Later This Year

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show Later This Year

Post by The Vortex Empire »

http://www.avclub.com/article/jon-stewa ... how-215070
Ending one of the most venerable and trusted careers in making a complete mockery of the news, Jon Stewart has announced that he is stepping down as host of The Daily Show. According to sources who were there (some of whom are already passing word along on social media), Stewart let the news slip at the taping of today’s episode, telling those in the audience that he’s retiring. No word yet on when exactly he’s leaving, whether this means he’s ending his time in the anchor chair to focus on being a Serious Movie Director now, or just how much this is Brian Williams’ fault. Presumably all of this information will be revealed in time—and delivered by Stewart himself tonight on your television. We’ll update when we have more.

UPDATE: Comedy Central just sent out this official statement confirming the news, and saying that Stewart will remain with The Daily Show until later this year. It also says that the show will “endure for years to come,” suggesting that it won’t end with Stewart:

Thank you Jon. pic.twitter.com/yPdxjnkuLw
— Comedy Central (@ComedyCentral) February 10, 2015
It's the end of an era. First Colbert, now Stewart...
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show Later This Year

Post by Gandalf »

It makes sense for him to step down now. TDS under Stewart had a huge impact on news and political discourse, but Colbert and now Larry Wilmore/John Oliver did and are taking that even further, which makes him a bit outmoded, like The Simpsons when South Park aired.

That said, I hope Oliver and Wilmore stay around for a long time.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I wonder who will take his place. Before Oliver got his own show he would probably have been my choice. He did a fine job filling in for Stewart while he was filming Rosewater. But now I'm not sure.

Edit: Is their any chance that one of the female corespondents could fill Jon's shoes? There's a sad lack of female hosts for this type of show. It could make an interesting change.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I wonder who will take his place. Before Oliver got his own show he would probably have been my choice. He did a fine job filling in for Stewart while he was filming Rosewater. But now I'm not sure.

Edit: Is their any chance that one of the female corespondents could fill Jon's shoes? There's a sad lack of female hosts for this type of show. It could make an interesting change.
There is a strong misogynistic belief within the industry and among many older and middle aged comedians that women aren't and cannot be, funny. I call this the "Joan Rivers" paradigm.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Gandalf wrote:It makes sense for him to step down now. TDS under Stewart had a huge impact on news and political discourse, but Colbert and now Larry Wilmore/John Oliver did and are taking that even further, which makes him a bit outmoded, like The Simpsons when South Park aired.

That said, I hope Oliver and Wilmore stay around for a long time.
Oliver is on a premium network and Colbert will be largely vanilla in his new role. I don't think we are going to see a replacement, TDS style has had a close to 20 years on the air now and the format will probably move on. Its no coincidence Colbert threw in the towel recently as well.

The question is what will the new format/style be. We have coming Presidential election for some enterprising new entertainment types to move in and create something new.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

The format is immensely popular. There's no reason for it to drastically change.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Terralthra wrote:The format is immensely popular. There's no reason for it to drastically change.
Agreed

John Oliver has kept very true to the format on "Last week tonight", with some minor alterations and that little extra "mustard" that one can get away with on HBO.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I missed this previously, it is very sad to see him retire. He was an extremely competent voice for good IMO.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

My mum thinks that the man known as the Egyptian Jon Stewart, Bassem Youssef, is going to replace him. And I'm inclined to agree, if only because of how much Stewart's show has been promoting him on Facebook lately. Plus he seems to be friends with Jon, and if government persecution in Egypt prevents him from doing his show, why not come over here to take Jon's place?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I don't know - I like him, but he's an Egyptian patriot through and through. I don't see him having much interest or relevance to the internal politicking and media bullshit of the US.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I'll put money on Graham Norton. If you'll accept bloody James Corden, you'll accept anyone
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Terralthra wrote:The format is immensely popular. There's no reason for it to drastically change.
I disagree, changing the host of a show is the perfect time to drastically change the format of a production. The same thing happened to the Daily Show when Jon Stewart came into the host's position, the show went from being a bog standard talk show into being a biting political satire and comedic media watchdog. A new host will bring a different style to the show inherently, so drastically changing the show in some manner, if only to cover for the host's lack of being Jon Stewart, is a good idea.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.