How would legendary composers react to modern music?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

How would legendary composers react to modern music?

Post by Borgholio »

Today on the drive to work I was listening to Avenged Sevenfold and I started thinking about how music has evolved over the centuries. Over time it has become more complex, with larger numbers of instruments being created over the years. Harpsichord -> Piano -> Synthesizer, Lute -> Guitar -> Electric Guitar, etc...

I found myself wondering what past musicians and composers would think if they listened to today's music. Say that Chopin or Bach found themselves listening to a modern band such as Muse or Bastille. Or a Greek or Roman lyre-player had the opportunity to listen to a modern rock musician play an electric guitar. What would they think? Would they consider it pure noise and trash since many of the instruments and styles didn't exist in their day? Or would they recognize how music has become more complex and appreciate how the sounds of these new instruments blend in nicely with ones they would be familiar with such as brass and strings? (Not saying they'd actually ENJOY what they heard, but that they would appreciate the artistry of it)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
FireNexus
Cookie

Re: How would legendary composers react to modern music?

Post by FireNexus »

Probably depends on their age when they hear it. At younger ages they would be more receptive, while as they got older less so. That seems to be how people react to new kinds of music.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am pretty sure that Beethoven would appreciate modern punk.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Thanas wrote:I am pretty sure that Beethoven would appreciate modern punk.
Really? I would have expected punk to be one of the least appreciated forms of music...

Or is it because it'll be easier for him to "feel" the vibrations of the music after he went deaf?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Borgholio wrote:
Really? I would have expected punk to be one of the least appreciated forms of music...
No, it is just that Beethoven was very much in favor of leaving constraints and traditions behind, or at least in favor of such attempts.

Also, this:

is pretty close to punk if punk were classical IMO.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Borgholio wrote:

Or is it because it'll be easier for him to "feel" the vibrations of the music after he went deaf?
Listen to the brash tones of a Beethoven piece and tell me he wouldn't gravitate to punk, or perhaps even more fitting, certain kinds of heavy metal.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Nice piece. That definitely sounds edgier than most classical I've listened to.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

You could always start them off with something like this—

—and then move on to actual modern compositions. Ease them into it, so to speak.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Thanas wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
No, it is just that Beethoven was very much in favor of leaving constraints and traditions behind, or at least in favor of such attempts.

Also, this:

is pretty close to punk if punk were classical IMO.
Nice. I also love the odd chimaera (heh) that is classical music fans commenting on youtube. And never the twain shall meet...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I remember from my Intro to Ancient Greece and Rome course that their was an ancient greek equivalent of Rap music. You had a piper put down a beat while the singer lays down a poem in musical form often about sex and battle.

And apparently the vikings had their equivalents to rap music.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Executor32 wrote:You could always start them off with something like this—

—and then move on to actual modern compositions. Ease them into it, so to speak.
As much as I love Vossy, that's the exact fucking opposite of what the OP ask for, dude. If we're doing that shit, I've got a lot of stuff I could post of covers of classical music (For fuck's sake, I ever made a thread just for that in AMP. duh).
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I'd guess that Vivaldi would love what we've done--some of his pieces are ALREADY metal; you just have to play them on the electric guitar like they were obviously meant to be.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Or he'd recoil in horror.

More wild guesses: Mozart would be into modern pop. Sometimes innovative, oftentimes repetitive, often bland standard fare made for money which offends nobody.
------------
------------
My LPs
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Thanas wrote:More wild guesses: Mozart would be into modern pop. Sometimes innovative, oftentimes repetitive, often bland standard fare made for money which offends nobody.
Now I'm imagining him and Skrillix collaborating on the mother of all drops....
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Thanas wrote:More wild guesses: Mozart would be into modern pop. Sometimes innovative, oftentimes repetitive, often bland standard fare made for money which offends nobody.
Now I'm imagining him and Skrillix collaborating on the mother of all drops....
All I can imagine is anyone with a sense of rhythm hearing Skrillix and pulling a professor farnsworth and asking for a ticket off the planet.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Oh man, that is right up my aural street, and I didn't even realise until now :D
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

And of course, Johann Pachelbel would grimace and say 'guys, there are other chord progressions.'
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Chimaera wrote:

<snip>

Oh man, that is right up my aural street, and I didn't even realise until now :D
If you liked that, you (and Beethoven, I imagine) might also like this:

I swear, Jeff Loomis is like the god of arpeggios on guitar. That first part of the intro—before the backing track starts—almost sounds like it's being played on a harp, it's so... perfect.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Had to post this. (skip to 2:15)

To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mr. G
Youngling

Post by Mr. G »

Metal always has a certain similarity to classical music. Like classical, it takes itself seriously and is characterized by a strong sense of theatricality.

But in general, I don't think most classical composers would like most popular music, it's more like the folk music of pre-industrial days, more simple, not very dramatic and less "serious" sounding. With some very limited exceptions, such as Dream Theater, a progressive rock/metal band, most popular music is not complex compared to classical music. Even heavy metal, which claims classical influence, doesn't usually try to mimic the complexity of classical music, the similarity mostly being in the dramatic/powerful sound and the technical virtuosity of those who play.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Executor32 wrote:
Chimaera wrote:

<snip>

If you liked that, you (and Beethoven, I imagine) might also like this:

I swear, Jeff Loomis is like the god of arpeggios on guitar. That first part of the intro—before the backing track starts—almost sounds like it's being played on a harp, it's so... perfect.
You are a bro for posting that. Jeff Loomis is a literal guitar god.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Damnit, Exec, you started it... Mods, maybe consider moving the thread to AMP and retitling it something about "Classical Covers and NeoClassical Guitar"?

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

^ I like this plan, it is a good plan.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

So let's embrace our new topic like baroque ballas, yo...