German goverment train diplomats with BSG LARP

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

German goverment train diplomats with BSG LARP

Post by dragon »

Battlestar Galactica larp Germany Projekt Exodus

A recent trend has seen European live-action roleplaying games, or LARPs, set at actual locations that play into their source material—for instance, the Harry Potter LARP College of Wizardry set in a Polish castle. Germany is going a step further with Projekt Exodus, a roleplaying experience with an educational aspect.

For five days, 80 aspiring diplomats will (according to Projekt Exodus’ website) “analyze the narrative structure” of the 2003 Battlestar Galactica reboot and, through playing out characters and scenarios inspired by the television series, will explore and build on themes including government, ideology, and freedom. Projekt Exodus is funded by the German Federal Agency for Civic Education, which promotes political and media literacy.

Projekt Exodus (which will be conducted entirely in German) starts February 4 on the retired destroyer Mölders, which will be renamed the Hesperios. The LARP will involve a day and a half of character preparation, two and a half days of play, and a day of reflection.

Projekt Exodus’ website details the process, including the use of theater improv exercises to access characters (whose backgrounds seem to be pre-created) and the benefit of there being no spectators, allowing for better immersion. Players will act out episodes in a pre-ordained narrative:

Within their roles, the players will make intense emotional experiences, reach difficult decisions, and learn to deal with their consequences. Constructs of interpersonal relationships will be revealed or break down, and new structures and orders will emerge from the chaos of an apocalypse.

What’s not clear is if some of the participants are also secretly Cylons.

While the project is no longer accepting applicants, locals or tourists will have the opportunity to check out the ship. On February 8, a normal ticket to the Mölders will also give guests a tour of the LARP, as Projekt Exodus will leave the ship decorated “and populated with some of its crew.”

The organization says it hopes to mount an English LARP for a more international audience, but that depends on how effective Projekt Exodus is

link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: German goverment train diplomats with BSG LARP

Post by Thanas »

That is nothing really new, they have used several situations for training, including historical and fictional scenarios before.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It's still pretty cool.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:It's still pretty cool.
As cool as sitting on plastic chairs while drinking 2$ cheap white whine and pretending that you are discussing about sanctions?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yup. Because you're on a warship. Which makes any form of meeting 20% cooler.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I can see a definite benefit too. Using full constructs (everything from their role to the scenario and even the world they are in), it is possible to decouple their job training from their own biases and political leanings to a large extent. I can imagine how that might be useful for a diplomat.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

It sounds like a fancy BSG version of Mafia.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."