2015 Oscars: Zero minority actors, zero female directors

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: 2015 Oscars: Zero minority actors, zero female directors

Post by mr friendly guy »

Elheru Aran wrote:Just info-dumping, man :P I don't disagree that it's fucked up and wrong. Hollywood by and large is a conservative establishment despite their seeming liberal attitudes. They're afraid to offend (and thus drive away) the majority of movie-watchers in the US, and they haven't really realized-- despite the recent influx of foreign funding-- that the rest of the world is an audience as well as Americans. Until they shake that notion off, they aren't going to "get it".
Funny thing is, they did try it to some extent with the Chinese market, since its currently the second largest and will likely by the largest in the world soon. Added scenes in Iron Man 3, check. Which BTW I have heard most Chinese weren't impressed with because it seems like useless pandering. Positive portrayal of Chinese in the latest transformers movies, yes according to screen junkies (never and most likely will not see the Age of Extinction). Apparently it did very well in the Chinese box office.

So their may be a change due to economic factors.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.