"The Interview" Review (Spoilers)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

I just watched "The Interview" on Youtube. A buddy comedy starring James Franco and Seth Rogen set against the backdrop of a CIA-sponsored coup in a Third World communist dictatorship scored to the dulcet tones of American pop star Katie Perry and featuring guest appearances by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seal Team Six, "The Interview" has been shrouded in controversy. The film's interdiction from wide release due to the actions of purportedly North Korean "Hacktivists" has led to considerable publicity, as well as allegations that the entire affair was an attempt by Sony Pictures to either avoid the airing of a sub-par film or boost viewership.

Previous Rogen/Franco films have relied strongly on sophomoric humor, wanton nudity, and prolific drug use (both on screen and presumably among the audience) to fill seats in the theater, and "The Interview" is no exception. Make no mistake, this a crass offering, aimed for the lowest common denominator. That being said, Rogen and Franco have always been able to cook a heady stew from these base ingredients, as evinced by the success of previous outings such as "Pineapple Express" and "This Is The End." Those expecting something different from the decidedly more political theme of "The Interview" will be disappointed. Rather than emphasizing the momentous consequences of nuclear war and political violence in the Hermit Kingdom, the film is built around the relationship between Rogen and Franco, which is old hat for any filmgoer. The real appeal of the movie comes from the interactions between Franco, as David Frost wannabe Dave Skylark, and Korean-American actor Randall Park as the famed scion of the Kim dynasty, Kim Jong-Un. Without losing the pleasant raunch and frat-boy energy that should be expected, Park portrays the North Korean autocrat with a combination of appealing bonhomie and chilling murderousness. He presents the dictator as the human being we'd like to believe actually exists. Franco's burgeoning friendship with him, and his willingness to turn a blind eye to the Kim regime's excesses, are an all too believable window into the power of the cult of personality. Don't expect too much weight, though- at it's base, "The Interview" is all froth, and Park's villain is only fierce enough to make his inevitable demise more enjoyable. The fact the film changes gears completely in the last act into a Sylvester Stallone style series of gunfights culminating with a battle between a helicopter gunship and a Warsaw Pact tank complete with Cyrillic hull markings only makes it clear that while the conspiracy theorists might be wrong when it comes to the details of the film's release, they are right in a broad sense. Were it not for the explosive drama of Sony's security failure, this movie would be an enjoyable but ultimately forgettable Frat Pack popcorn flick.

One is left with a sense that the real message of the whole brouhaha surrounding "The Interview" is that the greatest enemy autocratic regimes face is their own lack of humor. If the North Koreans had ignored this film's release it may have been nothing more than something playing in the background in a college dorm while bongs were being packed. As is, the film has received attention far out of proportion of it's actual value, either as a statement or a source of amusement. This should not be taken as a comprehensive panning, however. Rogen and Franco have always aimed to provide simple pleasures to their audience. "The Interview" provides those pleasures in spades, and for this movie fan, the two hours and the 5.99 I spent were not wasted. The script is fundamentally tight and the acting and characters are appealing, if not memorable. No amount of hype can turn a good popcorn flick into a great film, but that's no reason to diminish what the Rogen/Franco team have accomplished. "The Interview" is fun, and in a world threatened by economic collapse, widespread apathy, and the machinations of fascist regimes, we need all the fun we can get.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Re: "The Interview" Review (Spoilers)

Post by SpottedKitty »

I notice you managed to resist the temptation to make a comparison with "Team America: World Police". Were there any musical numbers for lonely megalomaniacs...? Image
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Holy shit man, haven't seen you around here in ages. How's life?

And yeah, about what I figured on the movie. Haven't seen it, and wasn't planning on it; their style has never done much for me. I might, though, since my local theater is the only one showing it in the state.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I tried to watch it. I couldn't sit through more than thirty minutes of self-congratulatory back patting at their own jokes and a complete lack of comedic timing.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

After all this time a Seth Rogen comedy is what brings you out of seclusion? Will wonders never cease.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image