Obligatory Christmas 2014 thread.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Obligatory Christmas 2014 thread.

Post by Iroscato »

Man, what a fucked up year. Still, merry christmas, happy holidays and a very happy new year to all ye at SDN :D
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: Obligatory Christmas 2014 thread.

Post by Broomstick »

Happy whatever you are celebrating this year!

We opened presents early this year, when I got home from work today because, dammit, between being sick and working lots of hours it's been a really rough week. I got a new sweater, two new pairs of very nice wool socks (I'm a big fan of wool socks in winter), and a $100 gift certificate to Amazon. The spouse got a CD of tuba music (he's a former professional tuba player) and a $100 gift certificate to Amazon. We also got some dark chocolate pecan bark.

And dad sent us some money for our anniversary. We promised to spend at least some of it on a dinner out for ourselves. Somewhat delayed what with both of us being sick.

The plan for dinner tomorrow is crockpot corned beef and cabbage so I can catch up on my rest and finish getting over this damned headcold. If I feel like it, I might bake cookies or muffins. Or maybe not. Otherwise, it's sleep, video games, sleep, lunch, sleep, movies, sleep, dinner....
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays if you prefer that.

My family and I are having the usual presents and turkey dinner. We might visit my grandmother (she's in a nursing home). And if I have time, I'll watch the Doctor Who Christmas special. I might re-watch the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Christmas episode for good measure.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Drinking heavily and deep-frying a turkey at my parent's house tonight, I looked down at my jacket as I shivered from the cold and had two realizations:

1. My jacket is now old enough to be eligible for the draft.
2. I'll probably be buried in this damn thing.

Merry Christmas.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Slowest. X-Mas. Eve. Ever. Where the fuck is everybody?

Making Ex-GF's Grandmother's awesome X-Mas Quiche and watching Die Hard and Bad Santa with her in a few hours, exactly the same as last year. This is the weirdest break-up I've ever had.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Merry Christmas you anchovies cunt smelling sons of piss drinking circus whores. And a Happy New Year. :angelic:

As we celebrate the night before I can relay the following: I got way too much stuff, didn't give as much as I wanted despite doing so much more than I've been able to do in the past (as in usually nothing or a card), so on the consumer side I did my duty as an American. Unfortunately still being sick and in an incredible amount of pain made worse by the weather changing causing a 2 hour long dry heave session for the ages (YOLO!). But after waking up from all the pain and anti puking meds last evening we did our Xmas stuff.
The best part was giving the dogs their presents. Kara the sweet but stubborn 5 year old American Bulldog, and Willow the poor inbred but sweet as can be if way too ADD German Shepherd both got gigantic rawhide chews shaped like candy canes which made them the happiest I've seen in a long time. Mainly because Willow has a very sensitive stomach so we have to be very careful and only give them on special occasions.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

On the presents front so far, I hauled GOT season 1 DVD, a nice beer selection, money, shower stuff and some healing crystals from my delightfully nutty aunt. Everyone's got one I suppose ^^
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

um, Shark, she still wants a bellyfull of little sharks.

edit: but on the plus side, she thinks you'd make a good papa shark.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

So far my plan sleep, eat sleep, goof off, and nap is going just fine...
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

First Christmas celebration away from home. Feels weird to celebrate in a Country that is actually cold during Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Feels weird here to have a Christmas with the temperature above freezing and no snow.

The sunshine is nice though - we've had two weeks and some days of overcast skies, it's wonderful to see the sun again.

DaZergRock54444
Padawan Learner

Post by DaZergRock54444 »

Happily enjoying the Midwestern US Christmas, meaning that there's strangely no snow and it's 50 degrees Fahrenheit.

Got some socks, a game controller, and a monitor for my new computer. And, by some instance of utter hilarity, two copies of the Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition; one from my grandparents, the other from my parents.

Given that we've just put out a large chunk of change for a new boiler so that our house might have heat, I'm fairly satisfied with my haul.
Instead of foodservice equipment, let's play with large format projectors.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Broomstick wrote:Feels weird here to have a Christmas with the temperature above freezing and no snow.

The sunshine is nice though - we've had two weeks and some days of overcast skies, it's wonderful to see the sun again.
It was odd walking the dog in 50*F weather.... then 29*F weather the next day.

OAN: My Xmas haul was great this year

From my family I received 1000$ in cash and prizes
From my mother I received a "I will not answer any phone calls, respond to any emails or any other communication for the next year"

This may or may not have something to do with the fact that my grandmother died last year and out of seven living children and twenty grandchildren my mother was the only one excised from the will.

Yes that's right my grandmothers estate was divided up thirty four ways with my eldest aunt getting the most (Cars-House) while stocks and accounts were divided up among her children and favorite grand children. Even my Uncle's two ex wives got a little something but my mother the second youngest child got nothing.

On that note, I got her a pair of gloves to replace the ones Sunny decided to eat last month and her scorn. She got my Siberian a nice bone which she's chowing down on now.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

So. Much. Booze.

I think my family slightly misunderstood when I said "I think a little Scotch would be awesome. Or some nice beer." I'm at two crates of lager, a bottle of Glenfiddich, a bottle of Jura, a bottle of MacCallan, a six-pack of the Blue Steel Nuclear Ale (good stuff), a plasma ball (to match last year's lava lamp) and dome Doctor Who DVDs. And some socks. And a toothbrush.

I am now rather drunk and preparing for an imminent food coma after my mother's superb lunch.

On the other hand, happy birthday Mr Newton.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

madd0ct0r wrote:um, Shark, she still wants a bellyfull of little sharks.

edit: but on the plus side, she thinks you'd make a good papa shark.
Don't I know it. This, and me or both of us fucking other people, is why we use condoms again now.

Vent: X-Mas Drunks are the drunkest drunks of all. This is the day when the will to live flees the weak the most in American culture.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I got to wonder where my brother's kids get their energy, though I suppose they can somewhat excused for not really being able to wait for the right time to open the presents (my niece is 4 and half and my nephew is 3 years younger), as for me I got what I had "wished" for aka a new wallet (my old wallet was in the process of essentially disintegrating) and I also got Desolation of Smaug blue-ray and a sweater.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Had a very restful Christmas, dinner came out fantastic and we ate so much we put off sampling the chocolate cream pie until today. Topped the evening off with a shot of cinnamon whiskey and slept like a log.

A damn fine Christmas.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Had a fine Christmas dinner, got some good presents, and managed to see the Doctor Who Christmas special, mediocre though it was.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Not a bad Christmas. Woke up, opened up gifts, got a few books, DVD set of a tv show, got an Atari emulator with a bunch of games loaded on, socks, thermals, search gloves for work, and TrackIR for my computer.

And then I ate a bit of food and went to work. 12 hour shift, no major calls thankfully. Had a BBQ at the office for all of our night shift officers.

Pretty good Christmas over all.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Mom was very generous this year. Most gifts were related to the house.

Got a bunch of old wool blankets that used to decorate my parents old house in Alaska. Very nice to have these and they have a lot of good memories.

Lots of presents for beds. Two sets of flanel sheets. Then mom bought some comforters for the house too.

But the final gift was very different. EVGA Nvidia GTX 970. And it runs VERY smooth.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I just celebrated with the family today.

I gave my Mom a nice Tea set and a selection of teas, her significant other got a copy of NHL 15, and my brother got a $100 gift card to a grocery store (at his request).

My haul included an EB games gift card, flannel sheets, two pairs of pajama pants, a cutting board, a knife set, a handheld electric mixer, and some curtains and fittings for my room. Not a bad year and all stuff that I'm going to get a bunch of use from.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

got nothing
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

My wife did a very cute angelic rabbit girl costume on Christmas Day and decided to be a fairy catgirl princess yesterday. She knows I agree with Roy. :) Also, Dragon Age 3 for PS4, haven't tried it yet, too much coding to catch up on. I gave her a waterproof satchel to clip to her SCUBA harness filled with assorted SCUBA gadgets and SCUBA-themed t-shirts (for lounging around on the dive boat afterwards).
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

The boys went absolutely apeshit and I got a new phone...satisfied.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.