Women survives 45 minutes with no pulse

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

Women survives 45 minutes with no pulse

Post by dragon »

BOCA RATON, Fla. - A Florida mother is home and tending to her new infant less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes following complications from a routine cesarean section.

A spokesman for Boca Raton Regional Hospital told The Associated Press on Sunday that a team of medical workers spent three hours attempting to revive the woman after a rare amniotic fluid embolism.

Spokesman Thomas Chakurda says the doctors were preparing to pronounce her death when a blip on a monitor indicated a heartbeat. Despite going 45 minutes without a pulse, she suffered no brain damage during the Sept. 23 ordeal.

"We had called a code that lasted for three hours. She essentially spontaneously resuscitated when we were about to call the time of death," said Thomas Chakurda, the hospital spokesman.

Doctors had called the family into the operating room and told them there was nothing more they could do for 40-year-old Ruby Graupera-Cassimiro.

Graupera-Cassimiro gave birth to a healthy daughter before amniotic fluid entered her bloodstream and heart and created a vacuum, stopping circulation. Doctors say condition is often fatal.

Chakurda said the woman's survival is a story of two miracles - her resuscitation and the fact that she survived without serious brain damage.

Medical workers used shock paddles and chest compressions throughout the emergency to try and restore heart beat and circulation, Chakurda said.

"Today she is the picture of health," he said.

He said her survival is a case of "divine providence."

Graupera-Cassimiro did not return a phone message left by The Associated Press on Sunday.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Women survives 45 minutes with no pulse

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well that's pretty cool.

I wonder if this is another case of that Lazarus Syndrome that's cropped up occasionally.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Kudos to the emergency workers who kept up really good chest compressions for that long. If the blood flow had stopped, she'd be a veggie right about now.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I wonder if this is another case of that Lazarus Syndrome that's cropped up occasionally.
Really Weird Stuff™ happens in our bodies on very rare occasions, although I must admit I hadn't heard of so many in modern times. Most of the cases I did know about were things like people pulled out of frozen lakes — I've read speculation that there's some kind of low temperature hibernation effect going on, but it doesn't work unless conditions are exactly right. The cases in the link are all new to me, that's not supposed to be able to happen in room-temperature conditions.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Medical workers used shock paddles and chest compressions throughout the emergency to try and restore heart beat and circulation, Chakurda said.

I think the CPR and the ALS protocols might have something to do with keeping her alive without a heartbeat. Totally non bias medical opinion here. :D

Amazing story nevertheless. Kudos to those medical workers because CPR gets real tiring fast. Which is why others do the CPR while I run the MET calls. :wink:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

mr friendly guy wrote:

I think the CPR and the ALS protocols might have something to do with keeping her alive without a heartbeat. Totally non bias medical opinion here. :D

Amazing story nevertheless. Kudos to those medical workers because CPR gets real tiring fast. Which is why others do the CPR while I run the MET calls. :wink:
Aren't they using the CPR boards in A&E nowadays?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Well I am ward based.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.