PHD Personal statement (UK) Help

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

PHD Personal statement (UK) Help

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Hi!
So, for those who don't know me, I'm finishing my Masters in neuroscience and bioinformatics this year, and plan to start a PHD in Neuroscience next year. Hopefully in the UK (UCL, Cambridge, Oxford = :luv: ).

I'm super stuck on writing out the various letters of intent and purpose, and wanted to ask if anyone here as any experience and/or examples or help to provide :).
(I'll buy you a seratonin+Dopamine laced internet cookie ;) ).

Thanks!
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: PHD Personal statement (UK) Help

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

The question you need to first ask yourself is what you want to do with the PhD before you even write a personal statement. Because you must write that into the personal statement. A PhD is a pointless and thankless affair unless you really know what you want out of it.

Secondly, have you done any research on potential advisers? Because it doesn't sound like you have. This is important, because in the UK, you apply directly to the research group and that letter is addressed to the potential adviser.

To be frank, this isn't so much as a personal statement, but a statement of intent. You must give potential adviser reasons to hire you.

So really, go back to the drawing board and figure out what you really want before even thinking about writing a personal statement.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Goal = Research. University or out of it.
I'm finishing 2 years of my master's, and I have 4 publications, with 3 more in various pipeline stages. I enjoy research, and I'd say I'm rather good at it (And i'm experienced with "computational science"= data driven stuff, machine learning data mining tools, etc').
(I could start a spiel about how I've loved science since I was young, but I'll harp about that in the letter. Once I think of a more original way to phrase it than "I've been interested and passionate about science from a young age".. ).

The programs i'm applying to are 4 year PHDs, with rotations in the first year. (I have various labs i'm interested in, but currently I'm focusing on applying to the university program/grant commitee first - Wellcome trust, Jannelia-HHMI..).
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

(I could start a spiel about how I've loved science since I was young, but I'll harp about that in the letter. Once I think of a more original way to phrase it than "I've been interested and passionate about science from a young age".. ).
Never say this.

Like, I'm in humanities and even I know no Ph.D admissions committee in the world wants to hear that shit. They know you love science and that you have since you were a kid. Everyone applying does. That's why you're applying to a goddamn PhD program
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Ralin wrote:
Never say this.

Like, I'm in humanities and even I know no Ph.D admissions committee in the world wants to hear that shit. They know you love science and that you have since you were a kid. Everyone applying does. That's why you're applying to a goddamn PhD program
As said, I'm bashing my head on how to phrase "interest/motivation/knows what i'm getting into" in a decent/non generic way .
Currently, I'm not doing very well. (Universities here and school sdon't involve personal papers or statements or anything similar).
Photography
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Tell them you wish to get a PhD in neuroscience so you can build a mind control device and take over the world.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

And, naturally, inform them that they will not remember approving your PhD studies after the fact, but that they will find their signatures upon said approval. :lol:
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

As said, I'm bashing my head on how to phrase "interest/motivation/knows what i'm getting into" in a decent/non generic way .
Specificity can help. Even if you change your mind later, being able to say to say you want to study the phased polarity of the neural gain medium helps give the impression you have some notion of what's going on in the field. Also mention specific experiences and explain why they make you a good candidate.

Or just wrote up a prose version of your transcript. I hear they love that.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Hola all.
So - I finished the 2.0 version draft of my personal statement (and CV), and i'd really appreciate any feedback. Any takers?
(I don't want to post it publicly - too many personal details. I'll IM or email)

Thanks!
Photography