Moderator: Edi

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Patriots' automated Twitter reply sends out racial slur

Post by amigocabal »

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 40725.html

Frank Schwab wrote:Patriots' automated Twitter reply sends out racial slur
By Frank Schwab November 13, 2014 10:40 PM Shutdown Corner

The New England Patriots wanted to thank their fans for reaching one million Twitter followers with an automated tweet that showed each fan's Twitter handle on a digital Patriots jersey if they retweeted this message celebrating reaching one million.

The social media department didn't think this one through.

There are some terrible people in the world, and at least one retweeted that message. So one of the tweets that went out from the Patriots account was to a person who uses "IHATE" and a racial slur at the end of that, and that handle with the racial slur on a digital jersey...
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Patriots' automated Twitter reply sends out racial slur

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

SO the "Patriots" did NOT send out a "racial slur"
Their automated program simply copy and pasted all of the Usernames in their archives, which happened to contain people who had made up racists names then?

I mean, if your going to fault them for anything it would simply be no realize people on the internet would abuse what they were doing.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:SO the "Patriots" did NOT send out a "racial slur"
Their automated program simply copy and pasted all of the Usernames in their archives, which happened to contain people who had made up racists names then?

I mean, if your going to fault them for anything it would simply be no realize people on the internet would abuse what they were doing.
So then it is like the U.S. Post office delivering mail that contains racist messages.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Things like that are always going to get someone abusing them. Someone will always bypass the filters and trying to stop those people too much will cause more problems for everyone else.
amigocabal wrote:So then it is like the U.S. Post office delivering mail that contains racist messages.
Pretty much.
It's not even the worst case of this happening. The worst I've heard of is a conference that had large screens displaying every tweet with the conferences hashtag and 4chan found out about it.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Even if the program contained a filter to block out profanity and racial slurs, someone could sneak something through by substituting a number or character instead of a letter, or by using words that are curses in other languages. TBH, this is basically why user-created content is limited in most games to stuff from existing "libraries" of resources, or otherwise confined to one's own computer/console.
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

This reminds me of a website that allowed users to name aborted babies, and it would tweet their names out.

Then of course someone gave a baby a name that was a terrorist threat directed at an airline...
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

This is such a NON fucking issue.
Unless Tom Brady, Bill Belichik, or Robert Craft are sitting at the computer twirling their mustaches (which granted, a lot of NFL fans want to believe :lol: ) sending out the tweet, this is a patently stupid thing to talk about or report and at MOST is an issue for the IT department/people the Patriots employ and is another exemplary example of the really "great" 24/7 news cycle.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Why is this news?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Flagg wrote:Why is this news?
Because the 24h internet news cycle has to constantly produce new bullshit to satisfy peoples need to be outraged and express 20 minutes of hate at stuff in order to feel smug about them self. So when real news is lacking (which is basically 23 out of those 24 hours) it has to dredge up something, anything at all to get people their fix. So we end up with stories such as this or what shirt some random guy is wearing or what celebrity did what.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Alright, people, I think it's a bit of a stretch to use this as an example of the moral degradation of the 24-hour news cycle. This wasn't fucking CNN. It was a short blog post on Yahoo Sports. It's a vaguely amusing and public thing that happened, so a sports blogger mentioned it. This really isn't worth hyperventilating about just so you can spew some self-congratulatory drivel about how the news media is oh-so-horrible.

I'm the last person to defend the idiocy inherent in mainstream news, but this wasn't fucking mainstream news blaring out a fake controversy, it was a niche blog post describing something silly happening within the purview of that niche. This would be like me going onto a video game blog that mentions a random glitch in the news Assassin' Creed and complaining, "WHY IS THIS NEWS BEING SHOVED DOWN MY THROAT OMG LOL WTF". I mean, is it really such a surprise to you that a hobby site on the Internet has a lot of superfluous details related to that hobby?

Get over yourselves.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Dude. You need to get over your self. And once you are done you need to get over your self once more for good measure.

I newer said anything about mainstream media and their 24h news cycle. I only mentioned a 24h news cycle. It just so happens that the feature is not unique to CNN. The concept of providing a constant stream of news 24h a day is something that has gripped virtually all major and minor news providers who have access to their own TV channel or the internet. And thus it has produced an inordinate amount of crap.

Yahoo is my homepage. I read their news basically every day. And during the last few years I have witnessed first hand just how mind numbingly stupid some of the drivel that comes out of them is. Sure, there are gems here and there. And most of the articles are just meh. But you also get stuff that is so stupid that I read it to marvel at the sheer stupidity. And this serves to reinforce my stance that for the most part when you absolutely positively need to fill out the whole day with fresh news you are going to be doing so mostly with crap.

Not that CNN is better mind you. Some of the stupidity I've seen them show was just as bad. And most of their news is just stuff that really does not deserve to be on a major news network but on a local radio station. But I digress.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.