Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant Extreme spider infest

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant Extreme spider infest

Post by dragon »

107 million spiders thats a lot of creepy crawlies.
ow many spiders does it take to creep you out? 10? 100? How many spiders make an “extreme spider situation”?

The Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant put out a call for “extreme spider” help in 2009, when a giant spiderweb covered almost 4 acres of their facility. Scientists eventually estimated over 107 million spiders were living in the structure, with densities of 35,176 spiders per m³ in spots.

Greene, A et al. (2010). An Immense Concentration of Orb-Weaving Spiders With Communal Webbing in a Man-Made Structural Habitat (Arachnida: Araneae: Tetragnathidae, Araneidae). American Entomologist, 56 (3), 146-156.

The “immense” in their title doesn’t really begin to cover it. From the paper:

“We were unprepared for the sheer scale of the spider population and the extraordinary masses of both three dimensional and sheet-like webbing that blanketed much of the facility’s cavernous interior. Far greater in magnitude than any previously recorded aggregation of orb-weavers, the visual impact of the spectacle was was nothing less than astonishing.

In places where the plant workers had swept aside the webbing to access equipment, the silk lay piled on the floor in rope-like clumps as thick as a fire hose.”

Remember, that paragraph was written by 5 mid-career professional entomologists and arachnologists. If they were a bit startled by the size of the web….it was a big freakin’ web.
light fixture

Hanging light fixture (2.44 m long) pulled out of place by spider webbing. Entomological Society of America/ Greene et al. 2010

In some areas of the plant over 95% of space was filled with spider web. The webbing was so dense that it pulled 8-foot long fluorescent light fixtures out of place.

The scientists described their estimate of 35,176 spiders/m³ as “markedly conservative” and “representing a minimum volume” of spiders, by the way.

Question: do you measure spiders in Metric ShitTons? Or in Imperial ShitLoads?

Either way, it’s an awful lot of spiders.

Giant multi-species webs actually aren’t that rare. In 2007, a huge communal spiderweb was reported in Texas, and many of the same spider species were found to be the architects. Megawebs in the United States are usually dominated by two spider species, Tetragnatha guatemalensis and Larinioides sclopetarius.

All recorded US megawebs have occurred near water. That makes sense, because spiders have to eat, and midges emerge in huge quantities from water where they breed and live.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Re: Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant Extreme spider infe

Post by Jaepheth »

We should learn to induce this behavior in a controlled environment to produce spider silk fabrics.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I've seen fabric made from spider silk. It's absolutely freakin' beautiful.

But, as an arachnophobe, just the title of this thread gave me willies.

I guess the facility no longer has a problem with flies?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Poor employees. Having spiders crawling all over you is not anybody's idea of a great workplace.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

It could be worse...

A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

So, napalm it is.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Thanas wrote:Poor employees. Having spiders crawling all over you is not anybody's idea of a great workplace.

Yeah, instead of starting my day with a hot cup of coffee, I'd start it with a flamethrower.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

It's from 2009, so old news. It's probably been cleaned up by now.

That said... yikes. I suspect not many people, arachnophobes or not, would like to venture in there.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I actually would. Just for the sake of seeing something like that. I mean when are you going to get a chance to do that ever?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

What did all those spiders even eat?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Simon_Jester wrote:What did all those spiders even eat?
For the sake of whatever dregs of innocence may still rattle around in your soul, don't ask that question.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

It's a wastewater treatment plant. There are probably oodles and oodles of mosquitoes and other waterbugs they could eat.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Unless the spiders did that web overnight, I'm wondering how and why it apparently was allowed to go on for as long as it did.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

RogueIce wrote:Unless the spiders did that web overnight, I'm wondering how and why it apparently was allowed to go on for as long as it did.
Yeah that one that was so heavy it was pulling the overhead light....I highly doubt it was done overnight unless you have a spider the size of a beagle.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Borgholio wrote:It's a wastewater treatment plant. There are probably oodles and oodles of mosquitoes and other waterbugs they could eat.
Good point.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Borgholio wrote:It's a wastewater treatment plant. There are probably oodles and oodles of mosquitoes and other waterbugs they could eat.
Good point.
The expression "flies on shit" also applies.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

If you read the paper submitted by the scientists (.pdf link on the site), it states that the web had been there the year before. It also states that the waste beds had an overabundance of midges, even with the spiders there to prey upon them. Also, the majority of the 31,000+ spiders were hatchings or juveniles, leading the the conclusion that the web's population was self-sustaining.

The scientists suggested several ways of dealing with the infestation, but the mostly boiled down to these two:
1. Get used to it. They weren't poisonous to humans, and they were eating the midges, and the web is a marvel of nature and tourists will come see it.
2. Get rid of the midges, then the spiders would leave.

Since the midge larvae were growing in the sandpit filtration units, where food was plentiful, getting rid of the midges would be very difficult. The spiders could be cleaned from areas (like the light fixture), but the thickest webs were where the midges swarmed.
The web, however, is a marvel, with 5 different taxa all sharing the web with non-aggressive tendencies towards their neighbor. The scientists even noted spiders fleeing them into another spider's territory, with no signs of hostility. If the scientist kept coming, the neighbor would join the flight, so there could be a number of spiders fleeing across what should be 'enemy territory', without aggression or hostile actions.

BTW: I looked up the names of the two main species in the web. The largest percentage were the "Big Jawed Orb Weaver", whose palps are very crab-like, while the rest of the body long and narrow, like a grain of rice. The second largest percentage were the "Bridge Spiders", which are usually found on bridges or other metal structures near or over bodies of water. They look more traditionally 'spidery'; rounded, flat abdomen, narrow thorax, with two 'boxing glove' palps. The third most common was the ordinary house spider.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

LaCroix wrote:It could be worse...

Could be these guys...
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Yeah, Vendetta, there was an article out recently about a photographer coming face to face with one of those.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yeah, the pictures I linked to are the ones he took.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I must be weird because I like spiders. Also snakes and reptiles which a lot of people are creeped out by for some reason.

Not that I would like so many spiders in my house, but I do tend to throw them out rather than kill them.

Back on topic, its pretty cool. And in regards to the giant spider someone post a link to, I am not sure tarantulas or ginormous spiders actually make webs. Don't they just hide under rocks to get their prey?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

IIRC most larger spiders don't actually use webs to catch prey, they actively hunt. Some of them build webs to sleep in though (helps detect things trying to sneak up on them).
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Golianth Birdeater seems to do a bit of both. While it can hunt, it also will take a temporary refuge and lay down trigger-strands. Prey touch the strands, and the spider can pounce. The trap-door spider uses the same technique, but out of a permanant lair with a 'locking door' to protect from predators.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

At a certain size, nets aren't a viable strategy, anymore. The prey size needed to subside on it is not worth the expense of making a huge net of the needed tensile strenght and the amount of glue needed.

Insects are plentyful and tend to fly around between branches, so you will catch a lot more than the value of the net before you need to redo it. Catching birds in a stationary net is a lot harder - they usually fly above the foliage to avoid ambush hunters, and they are quite scarce in comparison to insect life for the same area.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

That large spider doesn't scare me, it rather triggers my "wonder how it will taste if grilled properly" instinct. It is of sufficient size to be noticed so less fear of an ambush I assume.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs