Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant Extreme spider infest

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Baltimore Wastewater Treatment Plant Extreme spider infe

Post by Purple »

Thanas wrote:That large spider doesn't scare me, it rather triggers my "wonder how it will taste if grilled properly" instinct. It is of sufficient size to be noticed so less fear of an ambush I assume.
Same here. I could not quite pinpoint it before you mention it but yea, I too would want to try to cook one.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

LaCroix wrote: Insects are plentyful and tend to fly around between branches, so you will catch a lot more than the value of the net before you need to redo it. Catching birds in a stationary net is a lot harder - they usually fly above the foliage to avoid ambush hunters, and they are quite scarce in comparison to insect life for the same area.

On the other hand, the Goliath Birdeater is misnamed, they don't actually eat birds normally, rodents, snakes, other groundhuggers.
Thanas wrote:That large spider doesn't scare me, it rather triggers my "wonder how it will taste if grilled properly" instinct. It is of sufficient size to be noticed so less fear of an ambush I assume.
Also you could hear it coming. They have hardened "claws" on the ends of their feet because of their mass and are one of the few spiders that actually makes a noise as they move around.

Also, probably not a good idea to try and catch and cook one, their primary defense is actually brushing off a cloud of tiny barbed hairs that stick to any mucous membranes and itch painfully for several days...
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Flamer thrower. Burns the hairs and cooks the meat at the same time.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

It's not the only spider with irritating leg hair, cultures that eat spiders routinely singe the beasties in open flame as part of the cooking process to eliminate them.

Sort of like dealing with thorns and spines when eating cactus. There are techniques for dealing with the problem fairly efficiently.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Vendetta wrote:On the other hand, the Goliath Birdeater is misnamed, they don't actually eat birds normally, rodents, snakes, other groundhuggers.
I am aware of this - I just cited the reasons why bigger spiders don't bother with nets anmore - catching flies isn't enough to subside on, and catching birds is too 'expensive' for the expected return - better go for stuff that crawls and hunt it down and keep the precious proteins you'd waste on a net.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah the Australian Funnel-web just uses webbing to make it's lair. It pretty much charges out and chases down anything it wants to eat. Or anything that pisses it off, for that matter.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!