Libertarian Utopia Comes True (RAR!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Libertarian Utopia Comes True (RAR!)

Post by Lord MJ »

By act of Q, all government organs (local, state, federal) are magically prevented to from management, regulating, or involving themselves in the economy in any way. All regulatory agencies and other bodies involved with economic and commerce management disappear.

Civil courts remain to handle disputes between private parties, but "economic crimes" other than things like larceny, embezzlement, etc, don't exist anymore. (No crime in doing things like subprime loans, dumping toxic waste, etc.)

This happens instantaneously to our present day US economy.

What happens next?
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Re: Libertarian Utopia Comes True (RAR!)

Post by Eulogy »

The country eats itself as one big megacorp becomes the de facto government and anyone not employed by said megacorp either starve, get murdered by said megacorp, or get out of dodge.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Welcome to the 2nd Guilded Age. Like the first one, but better. If you're not a slave. Which you shall be.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Return of serfdom.

An elite caste composed of high-level corporate executives becomes the new aristocracy, everyone else will exist to serve them. Aside from a few areas preserved for the enjoyment of the new overlords the environment goes to shit.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

More or less the same shit, with more work and unpaid overtime, corporate executives replace government functionaries and bureaucrats and life goes on as usual. Capitalism is capitalism. Soon some arbitrage mechanism will be formed between the largest oligopoly agents, most likely in the form of... a new US government.

End of story.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

There will also be the start of new "Mine Wars", as workers get tired of being paid to die in unsafe work conditions and start to revolt. Unions start forming as war bands this time, as there is no US Gov. to plead for aid. Gunfights and sabatage become the order of the day, with the Companies hiring mercs to put down the Unions.

Welcome to a rapidly spreading civil revolt. The RAR says nothing about the Military, but most Vets I know have very little trust in Corporations, and a strong tie to Doing What's Right.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

There's a lot of ugliness at first, although that dampens a bit with time. LadyTevar beat me to it, but I'd expect you'd also see a big return to the massive unionization efforts of the Gilded Age and early 20th century: sit-down strikes, boycotts, general strikes, protests, employer-on-employee violence - that type of thing. Theoretically, you could end up with a "Ghent" union situation where the unions are so powerful that they effectively serve as the regulator on wages and working conditions, although that will be tough and depend on how the various levels of government intercede in labor conflicts.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Corporate Republic. Where Corporations have so much power they are effectively their own governments and the only to keep them in check is a union strong enough to actually physically threaten the Corporation and prevent them from having their way all the time. It would be bloody...and I fear for what would happen to the environment in the meantime.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

is there legal space for worker cooperatives in America? Quite a few companies in the UK are worker owned - Waitrose, Coop, Arup (which is basically Praxis in the mars trilogy) ...
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

It is perfectly possible to structure a company as a member or worker owned co-op.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Lord MJ wrote:What happens next?
Somalia.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Raw Shark wrote:
Lord MJ wrote:What happens next?
Somalia.
Not poor enough and not enough young people, demographic background is different.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

In this scenario, law enforcement still exists, so if corporations hire mercs and they commit violent crimes, or people rebel against corporations and they commit violent crimes, then the police would still get involved to restore order.

The corps however would be more likely to get passes for what their mercs do, while the book would be thrown at violent union uprisers.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

What's to stop the corporations from just bribing the police? Arguably, that pretty much happens even now.

And there's historical precedent for corporations using violence against striking workers and not paying dearly for doing so.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Hang on a tick. If all economic regulation disappears...what preserves the concept of a corporation? Corporate entities are present only as sanctioned by and regulated by societies. Things like limitation of liability, corporate ownership of capital, etc., would...vanish? No? Why not?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Incorporation is, in effect, a contract among multiple people. All that really needs to be there is a government willingness to respect that contract.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Incorporation is way more than that. Incorporation involves government recognition of an abstract entity as (legally speaking) a person, capable of action, liability, ownership, etc., aside from any human.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yes. Incorporation is a specific legal process defined by the government to control and regulate ownership of large-scale capital goods, for the general benefit of the people who invest in those corporations. Before it was invented, concepts like "investment" and "ownership" worked very differently.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Yep - if the corporation's biggest dream comes true, the corporations's stop existing. Classic case of 'be careful what you wish for' :D

Other concepts to cease existing are limited liability - everyone holding shares is now a 'true' part-owner of the company, and will be liable with his personal belongings.

No more corporate taxation(with all the write-offs and stuff), and the ability to hide behind the company in a lawsuit is also gone - you now sue the owners, joint and directly.

Oh, and patent law is gone, too.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

You guys assume that corporations are just going to sit and let that happen? Why? :|

All you need "government recognition" for is someone to enforce your contracts. No government? Then corporation goes and uses force to do it themselves. You had feudalism working for hundreds of years despite no governments to enforce it, just pyramidal schemes of people on top kicking a bit of the wealth down in return for services. Why corporation couldn't enforce the same with its own security forces? Welcome to Serfdom 2.0, peasants.

Also, there is no write-off because taxes don't exist anymore. Corporations can keep 100% of they make, though their direct income would be smaller too as they would need to share some of the burden of running stuff in direct vicinity. Courts? Police? Please, who is going to fund them? No one? Oops, there goes that plan.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Limited liability is pointless in a libertopia anyway. In real world, it serves to make capitalism risk-free, but in a libertopia capitalism is by definition not risk-free and you are risking your all as there are no agencies to protect you except your mercenaries, and liability is always total.

Assalti Frontali
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Irbis wrote:You guys assume that corporations are just going to sit and let that happen? Why? :|

All you need "government recognition" for is someone to enforce your contracts. No government? Then corporation goes and uses force to do it themselves. You had feudalism working for hundreds of years despite no governments to enforce it, just pyramidal schemes of people on top kicking a bit of the wealth down in return for services. Why corporation couldn't enforce the same with its own security forces? Welcome to Serfdom 2.0, peasants.

Also, there is no write-off because taxes don't exist anymore. Corporations can keep 100% of they make, though their direct income would be smaller too as they would need to share some of the burden of running stuff in direct vicinity. Courts? Police? Please, who is going to fund them? No one? Oops, there goes that plan.
You're wrong.
prevented to from management, regulating, or involving themselves in the economy
You will need to sue them to get them to comply with the civil contract of buying something. Same if the company dumps toxic waste - residents will have to sue for polluting their backyard.

If you are using force on somebody, the police will still show up to arrest your arse. Only commerce-related regulations are tossed out of the window - police, taxes in general (most stuff like corporate tax and VAT will be tossed out, but income or property taxes per se are not management or regulation of commmerce, but general things used to finance the state), and military still exist.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

LaCroix wrote:If you are using force on somebody, the police will still show up to arrest your arse. Only commerce-related regulations are tossed out of the window - police, taxes in general (most stuff like corporate tax and VAT will be tossed out, but income or property taxes per se are not management or regulation of commmerce, but general things used to finance the state), and military still exist.
And who exactly is going to fund that police? No regulation means transferring all profits overseas, no taxes collected, police going on corporation payroll, bye bye state.

But ok, let's say the magical police and army still exists. Company simply draws paper saying "everyone standing on earth we own accrues fee 100$ per minute for using it unless he or his family is employed in company, this contract is of opt-out type" and try to sue them then, good luck with that :lol:
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I believe you are wrong, again. To force you to pay for this contract, the owner of the company (as the company is no entity, anymore) would need to sue everyone he wants money from in a private court. And the judge would throw such a "contract" out, immediately, as the joke it is, just as it would happen if a private person would try to enforce such a "contract" on other people, these days.

Basically, a lot of things would become harder for corporations, as they cannot use the tried tools of contract law, anymore, and are forced to go to court for everything, needing to prove the validity of their contractual claim time and time again. Stuff like opt-out would be the first thing to fly out of the window, as in general law, you can only opt into an agreement by giving consent. Contracts assuming your consent are invalid, and drawing them up could even earn you a charge of fraud. (as in you, the owner of the company, as the company is no legal person, anymore)

A lot of "CEO's" would find themselves in big trouble because they would still assume they could hide behind corporate identity. Without corporate law, they will face fines and jail times, themselves, for everything their business does under their rule. As would the owners (shareholders).

That's why businesses are never mobbing for an end of all corporate law, only the things that restrict them from doing bad things to others. More than half of corporate law is utterly important for them to keep their business going.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

The loss of patent law, and thus, copyright, will be their worst problem.

Nobody could forbid piracy, anymore - software, movie and music would go utterly broke within the year.

And with no way to keep people from copying their products and brand names, European and Chinese companies would destroy the US companies in no time!

edit:
Apart from the fact that it would take lawyers years to figure out what to do with the former company possessions, draw up private contracts between all owners about ownership shares, new employment contracts, and agreements how to run the business in the future. Between ALL SHAREHOLDERS, as all of them are now co-owners, and you can only have agreements when each and every singgle one signs. (No votings, anymore. That was a part of corporate law.)

Then they need to draw up new contracts between all these businesses. And their customers.