October's SciFi Kerfuffle

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

October's SciFi Kerfuffle

Post by LapsedPacifist »

There's been an explosion/implosion in the scifi community that hit my twitter feed this week.

From what I can gather, and it's tough because there are a lot of people and pseudonyms involved, an up and coming Thai SciFi author was revealed to be the same person as a longstanding critic/hateblogger/troll who went out of her way to hurt a lot of people in the scifi community over the last decade or so.

The really fascinating thing to me is that a lot of the tactics they used involved attacks from the Social Justice front, a barrage of calling people racist/homophobe/transphobe that really shut down discussion. Also fascinating that it seems to have been primarily directed at POC authors and readers. Coming so closely on the heels of gamergate and it is kind of surprising to me to that there actually are people co-opting SJW language to kill conversation in this manner.

Laura J. Mixon took the time to catalog the events, and the authors damaged and posted that here: http://laurajmixon.com/2014/11/a-report ... ral-names/

Other blogs/posts/people are linked from there.
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: October's SciFi Kerfuffle

Post by madd0ct0r »

Kerfuffle seems an understatement. There's something fractal about a lot of these human systems
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

You're right, but I sat here for a long time and I honestly couldn't come up with the right title for the whole thing.
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Implosion? It's not expqnsive the way gamergate aims to be. It's an implosion between members of a niche in a niche in a niche. Wether rh did what or inspired followers to do isn't of much interest to people outside those niches. Asian or post colonial sci-fi is an interest of mine, but this dosent look more then passing interest.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

ugh. i should stop posting from a phone. Returning to this story since it's getting some heavy pushing to exposure from people heavily linked to Gamergate (eg u/SleepsWithJournalists ) on reddit.

I guess because it fits their 'SJW girls are bad and evil' mindset?