OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

discovery channel man willing swallowed by anaconda

Post by dragon »

ok some people
Discovery Channel’s ‘Eaten Alive’ will show man being swallowed by anaconda
The Discovery Channel is looking to put a stranglehold on Sunday TV rating next month by airing a special that will show a filmmaker being 'eaten' by an anaconda while wearing a 'snake-proof' suit.
BY Philip Caulfield
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Thursday, November 6, 2014, 11:59 AM
Updated: Thursday, November 6, 2014, 11:59 A

Filmmaker Paul Rosolie in a clip from 'Eaten Alive.' Discovery Filmmaker Paul Rosolie in a clip from 'Eaten Alive.'

Next month, the Discovery Channel will air a reality TV special that will show a man being swallowed whole by an anaconda.

But the Dec. 7 show, called "Eaten Alive," is no snuff film.

The filmmaker who gets “eaten,” Paul Rosolie, survived the stunt and has been tweeting promos to the bizarre jungle special.
Rosolie wears a snake-proof suit during the stunt. Discovery Rosolie wears a snake-proof suit during the stunt.

In clips released by Discovery, Rosolie wears a protective "snake-proof" suit and breathing apparatus during his tangle with the beast.

In one shot, he appears to be tethered to something as he wades through ankle-deep muck toward the massive creature.
Rosolie defended himself against critics who claimed the stunt is harmful to the snake. Rosolie defended himself against critics who claimed the stunt is harmful to the snake.
Previous Next

In a post on his website, Rosolie, a conservationist, author and purported Western Amazon expert, defended himself against critics who claimed he and his crew were hurting animals for financial gain.

"In the days leading up to Eaten Alive on Discovery Channel, I understand that many people have questions. All I can tell you now is that all my work is based around the fact that wildlife and ecosystems today, across the globe, are at a critical moment. No group of animals so much so as apex predators," Rosolie

For those worried about animal cruelty, I invite you to research my work — read my book," he added. "Then ask yourself: would this person ever hurt an animal?"

News of the new special comes on the heels of another Discovery ratings coup.

The channel' cameras were rolling in Chicago Sunday as high-wire artist Nik Wallenda completed two tightrope walks between Chicago skyscrapers.

The special, which had a 10-second delay in case Wallenda fell, drew nearly 6 million viewers.

Last year, a major network was planning a similar heart-thumping jungle special, called "Manaconda," but it never made it to air, Entertainment Weekly reported.

ON A
o
limnk
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: discovery channel man willing swallowed by anaconda

Post by Thanas »

Poor snake.

How the hell did they get him out without causing damage to it?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Do snakes have the equivalent of a gag reflex?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I really don't see how this can be good for the snake. Saying "Nuh uh!" isn't a very good answer.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

mr friendly guy wrote:Do snakes have the equivalent of a gag reflex?
They can regurgitate, yeah. But as a general rule if the snake can open it's mouth wide enough it'll find some way to swallow you.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

My assumption is that they sedated the animal to remove him the way he went in. I've seen some people worrying that this stunt will seriously harm the animal's throat or mandible...It's kind of a dick move, but I strongly suspect it's possible to do this without trauma, depending on the size and health of the animal. Wish Aly were around; He's a few stages closer to the appropriate field than I am.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'll just say I much prefer watching a tightrope walker to some stupid-ass stunt involving a guy being swallowed alive.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

This is idiotic. There's no way that it isn't incredible stressful at best and potential fatal at worst to the snake. And there is no scientific benefit to this stunt. It adds nothing to the net sum of human knowledge at all. Is there anyone in the world that can't at least somewhat accurately imagine what it would be like to be swallowed by an anaconda? It will be dark and damp. Good job, asshole.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Don't anaconda's eat shit as big as crocodiles and like bison type things? Off to the INTERTUBES!
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Anacondas can eat crocodiles and deer and cows, etc. Typically, however, your average wild deer is not carrying electronic equipment and isn't then pulled back out the mouth. And god knows what that "snake proof suit" is made out of; one of the reasons anacondas can eat such large prey is because they are strong enough to crush the animal's bones.

Again, this is a dangerous waste of time and resources.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

It's also about the streamlining. Most creatures are actually fairly streamlined and can go down easy. Humans have a narrow head that triples in width to the shoulders within inches. That's why (AFAIK) it's never been recorded that a snake ate a full grown human. Killed, yes...but not swallowed.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: It will be dark and damp. Good job, asshole.
I doubt he will be able to tell that it's damp as the suit would have to be sealed to protect him from the snakes stomach acid.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

There may be something pathological about this, rather than just scientific curiosity and/or attention-whoring. A common theme among very deeply-depressed people is, "I wish a [specific predatory animal] would just eat me, so I could at least be useful for that."

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Maybe Vorarephilia ?
Vorarephilia (often shortened to vore) is a paraphilia wherein an individual's sexual arousal occurs in response to a fantasy of themselves, another person or an object eating or being eaten.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Lagmonster wrote:My assumption is that they sedated the animal to remove him the way he went in. I've seen some people worrying that this stunt will seriously harm the animal's throat or mandible...It's kind of a dick move, but I strongly suspect it's possible to do this without trauma, depending on the size and health of the animal. Wish Aly were around; He's a few stages closer to the appropriate field than I am.

I have been summoned. Yes, the snake can be sedated. Actually they can be induced to regurgitate on their own pretty easily.

The problem is that no matter how you do it, you cause stress to the animal. Sedation can kill snakes pretty easily, and getting them to regurgitate on their own means scaring the fuck out of them. Ironically, they will also cause food stress. When a snake that big swallows something, it spends a LOT of energy to speed up their metabolic rate and physically enlarge their liver in order to handle the sudden intake of calories. A snake in severe energy deficit can actually starve to death immediately after a large meal because the metabolic changes necessary for digesting a large meal exhaust their energy reserves.

So they are basically inducing starvation.

To say NOTHING of this bullshit show being another irresponsible fear-mongering sensational piece of shit by the discovery network.

They have been recruiting scientists for TV shows under false pretenses and then using selective editing to make them look like cryptozoology nutters for YEARS.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est