2058lbs pumkin

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

dragon
Sith Marauder

2058lbs pumkin

Post by dragon »

damn that's a big pumkin
(Reuters) - A one-ton pumpkin grown in Northern California has been declared the heaviest ever cultivated in North America, and an organization is arranging to fly the giant gourd to New York where it will be featured in a botanical garden.

The pumpkin, which was grown in Napa Valley north of San Francisco, was put on the scale on Monday at an event tied to the upcoming Half Moon Bay Pumpkin Festival and weighed in at 2,058 pounds (933 kg), said festival spokesman Tim Beeman.

The pumpkin is the heaviest ever grown in North America, beating a record set last year by another pumpkin from Napa Valley, said David Stelts, president of the nonprofit Great Pumpkin Commonwealth, which overseas competitions for the staple of Halloween and Thanksgiving.

The pumpkin will be flown to New York this week to be displayed in the city's Botanical Garden, along with two other massive pumpkins from different parts of the country, Stelts said. Plans are in the works for it to be shown on the syndicated morning program "LIVE with Kelly and Michael" on Thursday, he said.

John Hawkley, the Napa Valley man who grew the pumpkin, collected $13,348 in prize money for the pumpkin, Beeman said.

"The growers in Napa Valley are a great group of people," Stelts said. "You never meet a bad person that grows giant pumpkins."

The record for the heaviest pumpkin ever grown worldwide was set this year by a grower from Switzerland with a pumpkin weighing about 2,100 pounds (952 kg), according to the website for the Great Pumpkin Commonwealth.

(The story was refiled to correct the weight of the pumpkin to one ton from two tons)

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles; Editing by Cynthia Johnston and Sandra Maler)
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: 2058lbs pumkin

Post by Thanas »

"The growers in Napa Valley are a great group of people," Stelts said. "You never meet a bad person that grows giant pumpkins."
Unreal high rate of rape of migrant workers would disagree there.

Also, why is there not a picture of the giant pumpkin?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Thanas wrote:Also, why is there not a picture of the giant pumpkin?
Since you asked so nicely, here you go.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Thank you so very kindly.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I suspect there might not have been a picture in the original article because it doesn't really fit that whole vaguely spherical orange object that people in the US tend to picture when they think 'pumpkin'. Once they get past about, ehh, 50 lbs or so, that kind tends to deform considerably. Looks like a big orange bean-bag chair. So it's other varieties that you tend to see getting really big like this. Draws kind of a "that's not a pumpkin, that's... something else' reaction though.

Bet that'd make a lot of pies, though...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I would pickle it.
------------
------------
My LPs
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Thanas wrote:I would pickle it.
Pickled pumpkin?
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Apart from saying 'ew, gross'... is that a sweet pickle or more of a sour? Because I've honestly never heard of any such thing. Though I suppose if it can be pickled, it will be...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elheru Aran wrote:Apart from saying 'ew, gross'... is that a sweet pickle or more of a sour? Because I've honestly never heard of any such thing. Though I suppose if it can be pickled, it will be...
You can do it with all sorts of spices (sweet, spicy, sour, sweet-sour, pepper...) etc. It is a very old European tradition to do so. Most popular seems to be a combination of vinegar and sugar, or vinegar and spices.

Next thing you'll tell me you also don't have Pumpkin bread in the USA.
------------
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

We do actually have pumpkin bread. It typically comes out around this time of year. It's a soft cake-like bread. Pretty tasty. Starbucks makes one ($4 a slice, typical) that's got a nice streusel topping. Delish if overpriced.

Now if you mean pumpkin bread like regular bread with a pumpkin flavor, no, we don't have that...
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Thanas wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Apart from saying 'ew, gross'... is that a sweet pickle or more of a sour? Because I've honestly never heard of any such thing. Though I suppose if it can be pickled, it will be...
You can do it with all sorts of spices (sweet, spicy, sour, sweet-sour, pepper...) etc. It is a very old European tradition to do so. Most popular seems to be a combination of vinegar and sugar, or vinegar and spices.

Next thing you'll tell me you also don't have Pumpkin bread in the USA.
We have pumpkin bread here in the US. At least in Texas, Ohio, Montana, Oklahoma and California can't vouch for the rest of the US.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

There's a place downtown that makes pumpkin bread as loaves and as muffins. Tops it with a sour-cream icing. *swooooon*
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elheru Aran wrote:We do actually have pumpkin bread. It typically comes out around this time of year. It's a soft cake-like bread. Pretty tasty. Starbucks makes one ($4 a slice, typical) that's got a nice streusel topping. Delish if overpriced.

Now if you mean pumpkin bread like regular bread with a pumpkin flavor, no, we don't have that...
I mean bread like this.

I am just surprised that apparently in the land of pumpkin you get no pickled pumpkins.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

BTW, thanks to superior swiss farming, this is the worlds heaviest pumpkin at a whopping 1054kg, or 2324 lbs.
------------
------------
My LPs
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Yeah, pickled pumpkin is a new one on me, and I even have a bottle of pumpkin/Bailey's Irish Cream barbeque sauce in the fridge.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow